Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GameCube GameBoy Player discs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Clumsy kids broke or lost the discs will be my guess.
    It occurs to me: there never was a proper full-size DVD case for the Game Boy Player disc, was there? I obtained mine used, and the disc came in this weird rectangular mini-case that constantly threatens to vanish into the depths of my DVD rack.

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    According to this link, unfortunately no. I just hope the list is outdated...

http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/SD...atibility_list
    But that is a list of games that are bootable from the SD card itself without any disc. Booting something from a burned disc is a different matter. (Nice list, though.)
    Last edited by Jorpho; 03-25-2014 at 08:17 AM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My bought new Game Boy Player and two or three used ones I bought for $10 at GameStop (3 or 4 years ago you could walk into pretty much any GS and buy one used) all came with a clear plastic case about half the size or so of a full size DVD case.

And it originally had an outer cardboard sleeve rather than a case insert, something I'm sure is commonly missing at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The gameboy player disc case shares the same one as a japanese gamecube case,hence why it's small.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I got my Onyx GBA player from The Movie Trading Company about 4 years ago. It was only $15 and came with the disc. They used to have quite a few laying around, but I haven't really been looking to notice if they still carry them. Before I'd bought that, I had a little adapter called a Game port. I was pretty much an Action Replay device that would plug into a controller port to run the GBA games. It seemed okay, but I only played a couple of games with it.

Quote Originally Posted by RARusk View Post
    To add to this;

The reason that there are no 3rd party cables is that the Digital-to-Analog chip required to make the Component Video (or RGB Analog if you hack the cable correctly) is built into the cable plug itself. The chip was custom made specifically for Nintendo and they will not let the data sheets be released on the web. This ensured that only Nintendo would make the cables. They stopped production on the cable just as people were discovering the advantages of Component Video and Progressive Scan. Luckily for me I managed to get two cables at the time of production stoppage and before their cost skyrocketed. Despite the sudden demand Nintendo wouldn't make any more cables.
    I believe Nintendo quit making them, because the newer Gamecubes had the digital port removed to cut costs. I would have bought a Platinum GC, if it had the digital port.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 03-25-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I have seen a lot of gameboy players attached to gamecubes in thrift stores. I have yet to see one with a disc with the machine. The people sorting the stuff when it comes in likely don't know what the discs are for and if they come in with the gamecube who knows what they do with them. And if the disc is in the player (which is where mine lives unless I am playing a game - then it lives in the game case) it likely gets left in and shoplifted about as soon as the gamecube hits the floor.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    I believe Nintendo quit making them, because the newer Gamecubes had the digital port removed to cut costs. I would have bought a Platinum GC, if it had the digital port.
    There are Platinum Gamecubes with the digital port, I have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Bumppo View Post
    I have seen a lot of gameboy players attached to gamecubes in thrift stores. I have yet to see one with a disc with the machine.
    Same with me. I've passed on plenty of systems like this because they were missing the disc. I've seen systems with the player attached, with some other loose game in the console, for some reason they never had the system disc inserted.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm kicking myself for talking myself out of buying a GBP + disc for $10 at GS a few years ago.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

That's where I got mine except it was last year and it was more like 5. Still I have tons if game cubes and if I thought ahead I could have bought more GBP's and sold them off as bundles now that they are worth something (apparently)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    I'm kicking myself for talking myself out of buying a GBP + disc for $10 at GS a few years ago.
    Yeah, I picked up several at that price a couple years back. I even grabbed one randomly when I was on vacation someplace! With Nintendo-mania being an ongoing thing I always figured they would go up in price, $35 a pop isn't a bad price to cash out at now, but I may just continue to sit on them for a couple more years since I don't think the GC has hit its stride for collecting yet.

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default GameCube GameBoy Player discs?

I bought a few from Gamestop when they were getting rid of them for $10. Wish I would have got some from Nintendo when they were selling them for $15. But who knew? They were available one day and then poof gone. Wonder what Nintendo did with them? And I agree that most Gamecubes with the player don't have the disc. The only places that do have the disc want major bucks for them.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Maybe Nintendo finally exhausted their stock? It must've been like eight years after release that I bought mine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've been messing again with my GameBoy Player lately and have confirmed that the SD Media Launcher can definitely boot the GameBoy Player disc. (I don't know if it will work with a copy of the disc, but there's nothing to suggest it wouldn't.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Resellers are hoarding them so they can sell at a huge mark up.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I'll be getting a XenoGC modded gamecube in the mail pretty soon. Maybe I could see if I can find an image of the disc online and try using a burned copy.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I'll be getting a XenoGC modded gamecube in the mail pretty soon. Maybe I could see if I can find an image of the disc online and try using a burned copy.
    The images is readily available and quite small. Let me know via PM if you have any issues locating a copy.