Thread: GameCube GameBoy Player discs?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Default GameCube GameBoy Player discs?

where the hell have they all gone to?

I was looking for another set and I can find ALOT of player but less than 15% of the results are missing the discs
    and the seller says "works 100%" and a lot along the same lines and I wonder, how the hell do they know if they don't have the disc then its pretty much useless and untestable!

any way I was wondering because I was aiming to get some of the colored Japanese game boy players and I figured it would be cheaper to get a cheap set with the disc to make it work but apparently not.
    also aiming to get a very pimped out gamecube set. I cant find 2 of my 5 wave bird controllers and I still haven't found any component cables at a good price

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Clumsy kids broke or lost the discs will be my guess.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    I was looking for another set and I can find ALOT of player but less than 15% of the results are missing the discs and the seller says "works 100%" and a lot along the same lines and I wonder, how the hell do they know if they don't have the disc then its pretty much useless and untestable!
    That's no great mystery, they most likely have their own Game Boy Player and disc. It's easy enough to borrow it from your own Game Boy Player to test a loose GBP to confirm it works before listing it.

And I don't follow prices, but a few might be intentionally breaking them up to sell separately. I wouldn't be surprised if some idiots would bid almost as much on a loose disc to replace one that's missing as you'd pay for a GBP with the boot disc.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-23-2014 at 02:21 AM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I'd be shocked if a GBP did not work, tested or not. What I did personally for my platinum cube, was I bought a NIB Japanese GBP in Platinum from So. Korea on ebay. Then I got a black one with the North Am. disc, and sold the black one along with a black console as is. Sure it cost me more money, but it's one of those things you really don't have a choice with.

As for the infamously hard to find component cables, you have my sympathy there. Unless you're absurdly lucky, expect to pay on average $100. Again, if you have the cash, I'd say just do it. It could take a year or more to wait to find a "deal."
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

GBPs are built like a tank so the seller is either playing a gamble or they have a disc of their own and a lot of disc less GBPs lying around so its parted out. On top of that its not hard to assume theyd split the disc and player up, and not even at the same auction to arouse suspicion because you can get more for it parted out which sucks but happens.

I ended up buying one off a newb on NA over a year ago and the dick didnt bother to tell me it had no disc, ended up getting 1/2 my cash back and a paperweight, at least for a couple weeks. Total dumb luck one disc without a player popped up at half price books for like 20, so in the end I was pissed, relieved, then saved 10 dollars for the aggravation of it all.

As to the GC cables, good luck with that. Collector trolls have driven the price up on those to newer dumber heights talking up how rare any of them are and in particular the Nintendo one since they ignorantly only sold it online. The formerly 10-15 dollar cable tops 100 now and even third party stuff doesnt trail much by association. For a time the Japanese one wasnt so bad, but then collectors and resellers caught on so its a lost cause too. Its just best to use a Wii for GC if you want the cleanest imagee at 480 Ive heard, but I found that hard to believe since the Wii is 480i and not 480p which that GC cable is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

So I gather from what some of you are saying is that there were 3rd party component cables for the game cube?

I imagine if some one came up and manufactured New cables and sold them at about 35 bucks they would make a ton of money. I've seen so many wanted ads for gc component cables over the years

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

There are NO 3rd party component Gamecube cables. None.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    There are NO 3rd party component Gamecube cables. None.
    To add to this;

The reason that there are no 3rd party cables is that the Digital-to-Analog chip required to make the Component Video (or RGB Analog if you hack the cable correctly) is built into the cable plug itself. The chip was custom made specifically for Nintendo and they will not let the data sheets be released on the web. This ensured that only Nintendo would make the cables. They stopped production on the cable just as people were discovering the advantages of Component Video and Progressive Scan. Luckily for me I managed to get two cables at the time of production stoppage and before their cost skyrocketed. Despite the sudden demand Nintendo wouldn't make any more cables.

However, according to a gamer friend of mine at work, apparently somebody is working to make an HDMI adapter for the GameCube's Digital A/V plug. If successful, this would replace the hard to find and often expensive cable and would be cheaper too, especially since most TVs now are depreciating other video modes in favor of HDMI. Personally, I would rather go HDMI now that I have an HDMI monitor rather than Component Video.

There was somebody else that even made a small board that would give the N64 HDMI capabilities. I definitely want that since getting good RGB out of it is a pain in the ass.

As for the GameBoy Player;

I think needing a disc to play your device was a very stupid design decision because without that disc your Player becomes worthless. You may want to consider looking around the web to see if there is a modchip for the GBP that will allow you to use the device without the need for the disc. I'm sure there's something like that out there since the Player is a nice way to play those old GB games (and it's Progressive Scan too).
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've never heard of anyone making a HDMI Gamecube cable. If that's in development I welcome it, both for the practical use on my TV that just really has only HDMI plugs, and also to help slam some of the value off that cable too as it's ridiculous what collectors and predatory resellers have popped it up to thanks to Nintendo's arrogance back then of stopping it despite the demand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A HDMI cable would be great to see if it actually happens, is well under $100, and can plug into the same port the original component cable does with no need to modify the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Its just best to use a Wii for GC if you want the cleanest imagee at 480 Ive heard, but I found that hard to believe since the Wii is 480i and not 480p which that GC cable is.
    The Wii is fully capable of outputting a 480p signal via component with progressive scan capable GCN software.

The only thing of significance for most that the BC Wii can't do is interface with a Game Boy Player. Component and 480p support for the Game Boy Player is the main appeal of the GCN component cable these days as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by RARusk View Post
    I think needing a disc to play your device was a very stupid design decision because without that disc your Player becomes worthless
    Too bad they hadn't planned ahead and had it present in the system's bios so all you had to do was hold start when powering the system on and select the appropriate option.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-23-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Still I imagine someone could make a component cable still. It only would take an o scope and some one that knew what the hell they were doing and a good understanding of ICs that were capable of handling the job

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I recall Nintendo selling the discs separately for around $15 on their website.

I always wondered if there were better, improved versions. Or a homebrew version that's superior.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Isn't there only a very limited range of GC titles that supports 480p? But I guess the Game Boy Player is one of them.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_16:9_support

Anyway, I suspect it is possible to boot a GameCube with something like the SD Media Launcher and then run a burned copy of the Game Boy Player disc. I can't seem to find any confirmation, though.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post

Anyway, I suspect it is possible to boot a GameCube with something like the SD Media Launcher and then run a burned copy of the Game Boy Player disc. I can't seem to find any confirmation, though.
    According to this link, unfortunately no. I just hope the list is outdated...

http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/SD...atibility_list
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Isn't there only a very limited range of GC titles that supports 480p? But I guess the Game Boy Player is one of them.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_16:9_support
    Um... according to that list the overwhelmingly vast majority of GCN games support 480p.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RARusk View Post
    You may want to consider looking around the web to see if there is a modchip for the GBP that will allow you to use the device without the need for the disc. I'm sure there's something like that out there since the Player is a nice way to play those old GB games (and it's Progressive Scan too).
    Here's a thread covering that: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...Gameboy-player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I did with an extra GC I found. You can get Xeno chips for like $10 and they're not to bad to install if you have an idea what you're doing. At this point I just want to find extra loose GBP units cheap so I can match them and sell them off my extra GameCubes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

That's not a bad idea, maybe I should do that too

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    I recall Nintendo selling the discs separately for around $15 on their website.

I always wondered if there were better, improved versions. Or a homebrew version that's superior.
    Indeed they did.
    That is where I got my disc after I got a loose orange GBP on ebay a few years ago.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

One of the guys doing the GC HDMI is "OzOnE" from the UK. He's also been working on the DCIO (Dreamcast SD to IDE) project. I still think it's cheaper to to find a used GBP disc than it is to mod the cube and burn a disc. Probably still will be cheaper to find the component cable than to install a homebrew HDMI as well!