Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0) jgray3493's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Atari Jaguar Anyone??????????

Is there anyone out there that shares the same enthusiasm as me about the Atari Jaguar System and the CD add-on???????? Hello, it was after all the first 64 bit system ever made. Well it was said to be 64 bit but we all know now that it was really just 32 bit. Just the same as its rival, the 3DO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I myself am a Jag fan. I have the Jag, and the Jag CD with 26 games total. I do like the 3DO better though. The Jag just cant compete with its graphics and the fact that it has a much better game selection than the Jag does. Not hating on the Jag I do like it. Just my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bought the Jag on launch day, and I supported it pretty strongly until the arrival of the Playstation.

Truth be told, I don't think the Jaguar is one of the better gaming systems, but I will say that I think it's MUCH better than the 32X. So that's at least something.... right ?

There are only a handful of Jaguar games that are really special to me, but I still have some very positive vibes in relation to the Jag. The biggest problem with the Jag back in the day, was waiting for the games to finally come out. It was extremely painful as an early adopter to keep hearing about all these games, and to keep having the games delayed. Some of the games never ever got released, and some were huge duds when they finally did come out.

Still, I'll always remember my experience with Cybermorph at launch, and also when I got the Jag version of Doom. The Jag version of Doom was really my first, legit experience with Doom. Yes, it didn't have music, but I still feel like it blew the 32X version out of the water.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    The biggest problem with the Jag back in the day, was waiting for the games to finally come out. It was extremely painful as an early adopter to keep hearing about all these games, and to keep having the games delayed. Some of the games never ever got released, and some were huge duds when they finally did come out.
    So many games were rushed to market far sooner than they should have been, resulting in buggy, unpolished, or flat-out unfinished games. Yes, the waiting was painful... but I really wish they'd put in the extra time to get music in more games... and put a battle mode into Atari Karts... and fix the controls in Checkered Flag... and put a few more levels into Missile Command 3D so it lasts more than 20 minutes. Some more third parties would have really helped here, as their releases would have given Atari a bit more time to finish things.

Battlemorph is fucking awesome though.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There really wasn't any sensible reason to own a Jaguar when the Genesis and SNES were still in their prime with plenty of good games out and many more on the horizon. I just watched the following video and the Jaguar really seems like a big bust:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX9cCegEsDA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Jaguar is definitely my favorite console that looks like a toilet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
    There really wasn't any sensible reason to own a Jaguar when the Genesis and SNES were still in their prime with plenty of good games out and many more on the horizon.

Well, you have to understand that for somebody who was around in late 1993, and you heard about the Jaguar, this new 64-bit beast, it would be very hard not to be excited about it. Of course, you'd have no idea that the Jaguar isn't really a 64-bit beast at all, and that 90 percent of the software would come from UK development studios that nobody has ever heard of. You didn't know that games would trickle out ever so slowly. You didn't know that huge games like Aliens vs. Predator would continually get delayed.

All of that is "hindsight is 20/20" type stuff.

Still, don't underestimate the power of a game like Cybermorph in November 1993. I was thoroughly blown away by that game when I first got my hands on it. Tons of people will talk shit about Cybermorph nowadays, but I think the vast majority of people that talk shit didn't play that game in 1993 or 1994. People that did, know how amazing that game really was at that particular time. I think a lot of the smack talking about Cybermorph, is that people were expecting it to be like Starfox, and that it would be this space shooter where you're battling aliens on hostile worlds.

Truth is, the game is more of a puzzle game than anything else. It's not trying to be a Starfox game at all. But that was the general expectation. Starfox, but on steroids. When people finally tried the game, and quickly realized that it wasn't Starfox on crack, they immediately cried foul and said the game sucked. It's too bad they didn't judge the game for what it really was. One of the first ever, open world type games, where your ship could basically go anywhere on the surface of these uniquely designed planets.

There are like 50 different levels of that game, to hunt down all the pods that are scattered on the various planets, and it's just basically a puzzle game in the grand scheme of things, but a very good puzzle game, that was pretty groundbreaking at the time.