Thread: Atari Jaguar Anyone??????????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    I would get one to play Zool 2 or Rayman. Zoop's a fun game also. I also like the early FPS's. Still, most games look like they easily coulda been done on the 16 bit consoles. I'm wondering if this is simply bc developers didn't know how to use the tech to its full potential? This happens with consoles, and this was 1993 when it came out, and games like Mario 64 was still 3 years away, which really showed what u can do with 64 bits.

True, here's what Miyamoto said about SNES programming, they just weren't up to it

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

I have a jaguar with 3 games.
    Cybermorph
    Chekered Flag
    And a soccer game I cant recall right now.

To be honest I got it for free as a non working console. I replaced the rf unit and bam. But I only played Cybemorph that once for like 5 minutes. I do want to hook it back up and start getting games for it. But having a large collection that grows about 8 games a month, keeps me from having intrest in shelved games. I work 7 days a week no days off and saldy the only games I am playing are either new or handheld. The games I really want to get for the Jaguar are
    Tempest
    Missile Command
    Raiden
    And Worms.

I will have to agree with most reviews about the controller though. Its more annoying and uncomfortable than all the controllers I have. Other than my secret hate for the standard N64 controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The only thing circled there from him is saying that they'll learn more about how to maximize the potential of the SuperNes as time goes on. That goes for any new game system so it's hardly an indictment of it or Super Mario World.

I very much doubt he ever considered Super Mario World a disappointment. It did precisely what it was supposed to do and has remained a beloved release since it originally launched. I think it would be high up or at the top of many a classic gaming fan's list for best launch titles ever and it's legitimately in contention for a good number of folks, including myself, as their favorite videogame of all even when looking past just launch releases.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-25-2014 at 02:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

shit... I rank Super Mario World No.1 overall, among all video games... EVER!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Yes, I like the Jaguar.. it's my favorite Atari console after the Atari 5200 (another misunderstood, under appreciated Atari console)... I had it at launch and I, too, was amazed with Cybermorph.. I guess I say this..... the Jaguar brings a different gaming experience. if one goes in expecting typical game fare as that found on contemporary consoles, there will likely be disappointment. it's common practice for everyone to slam and hate on the Jaguar.. but to appreciate, I guess you'd have to have been there in the early 1990s, AND have an open mind to 'different' game playing experience and expectations... and, the controller isn't horrible, for most applications... it's functional and comfortable to hold, only being awkward when needing to use the number pad in situation where the action is hectic in game....
    but the mainstream masses will continue to slam and hate the Jaguar without ever understanding it, only because it is popular to do so... and then for such hate, WHY is it so expensive to get into Atari Jaguar today.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is there a flash cart for the Atari Jaguar ?

There are some games I'd love to play on Jaguar, but you're right, Jag collecting is not for the faint of heart. It can get pretty damn expensive.
    Last edited by WCP; 03-25-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Is there a flash cart for the Atari Jaguar ?
    A good percentage of the Jaguar community would have a conniption if there was. There are some that think it's 1995 still, that this is a commercially viable system, and that it's big business with a potential to grow exponentially in the future. So they view a flash cartridge as merely a piracy enabler that would hurt these efforts despite that being anything but the case for systems like the Colecovision and Atari 7800.

Instead, what little publishing of note that has happened over the better part of the past 20 years has been releasing unreleased commercial projects. Beyond the occasional modest homebrew effort (Several of which shine even though they're not major affairs), there's very little development activity here. Much of what they think they're protecting are little more than futile dreams or people like the guy that stole a classic arcade game and released it before going nuts that thought he was an actual development/publishing house and was owed by the community to follow all his dictates if he were to continue. Not the type of homebrew attitude that deserves to be supported when there are great guys like PacManPlus in the Atari community doing it for the love of it and the community that they enjoy being a member of.

And I suspect some are collectors that are terrified of a few cartridges in their collection being devalued. Despite being an owner of the big one that goes for the most money, I can't say as I'd be upset to see others find alternate means to experience this. I don't support pirating homebrews, but as a Jaguar fan, it's definitely not a reason to be against a reprogrammable flash multicart that has so many legitimately useful advantages for the gamer and collector. Just because it can be used for a distasteful purpose doesn't erase the advantages it would offer.

I can't imagine something like my Atari 7800 these days without my Cuttle Cart II. It has added so much to my enjoyment of the system. Hopefully they come around someday and view such a development as an asset instead of something to crusade against.

Maybe it could finally rise from the dead in classic gaming circles like the 7800 has for anyone that has paid attention to the goings on there with the homebrew scene. Instead, sometimes this community in the past (I don't much follow it now for years) acts like it's in a Cold War of its own that's out to destroy itself instead of trying to flourish.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-25-2014 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    The only thing circled there from him is saying that they'll learn more about how to maximize the potential of the SuperNes as time goes on. That goes for any new game system so it's hardly an indictment of it or Super Mario World.

I very much doubt he ever considered Super Mario World a disappointment. It did precisely what it was supposed to do and has remained a beloved release since it originally launched. I think it would be high up or at the top of many a classic gaming fan's list for best launch titles ever and it's legitimately in contention for a good number of folks, including myself, as their favorite videogame of all even when looking past just launch releases.
    I hate to rain on your parade man, but Miyamoto said he thought the game was a disappointment to him. Just because the game didn't do exactly what he wanted it to do doesn't mean that a fan can't like it. Obviously there were things he wanted the game to do that they couldn't get it to do because they didn't know how to get the game to work properly due to unfamiliarity with the new graphics hardware at the time. Not like it's the first time it's ever happened i8 the past and probably won't be the last time that a developer is releasing a trimmed down game because it doesn't do what he wanted. You are a fan of the game, cool, but that doesn't mean that the creator didn't say what he said. As a creator of things myself, I know for a fact that you are your own worst critic. It is what it is. He's not saying it's a bad game, but that it didn't distinguish itslelf from it's predecessors the way he would have liked it to.

As for the Jaguar, very cool system and it is 64 bit, not 32. It has a 32-bit RISC processor, but a programmable 64 bit Object Processor, a 64 bit blitter for object processing and a programmable 64 bit DRAM controller. How that equals a 32 bit system is beyond me. Just because the RISC chip is 32 bit doesn't make it a 32 bit system. It also has a 68000 series chip in it too, so I guess that means it's an 16 bit system? In the end though, the 68000 chip, which was supposed to be used for communication between everything, is the reason why so many of the Jaguar games looked like recolored Genesis games. Many of the third party programmers used the chip and just recolored Genesis games and released them for the Jaguar. It is partially Atari's fault though for not releasing any documentation for programming on the system.

Oh, and for the record, for those of you that complain about Cybermorph and it's "Bland Graphics", if you played the game for longer than five minutes you might get to some of the later levels where the graphics get amazing. This game is always so unfairly bashed into the earth when retreaded crap like Call of Duty is held in such high regard. At least Cybermorph/Battlemorph were trying to do something different from what everyone else was doing. And lastly, the Jaguar controller isn't that bad. There are several other first party controllers that have released over time that were much worse. It's amazing how so many people have an opinion on the controller when there are barely so many systems out there to support that many people actually getting their hands on the controller. Even if you held the controller and banged on the buttons for a moment and moved the D-Pad around, it doesn't count unless you were playing a game with it. Just saying. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though as I have personally always hated the Playstation style controller. I love fighting games and the D-Pad sucks for them.

LASTLY, on the TEMPEST on other systems thing.TEMPEST 2000 on the Jaguar is MUCH better on the Jaguar over the Saturn version and TEMPEST X3 for the Playstation. It doesn't have the buggy glitches that the Saturn and Playstation have and the AI is so much better on the Jaguar version. If you don't believe me, send Jeff Minter and e-mail and ask him. He'll explain everything to you. The Goraud shaded graphics look so much better and cleaner on the Cart version to boot. You could argue that the CD Digitized soundtrack sounds better, but many people who have listened to the soundtracks side by side actually gravitate more to the cart version. AND, the Jaguar version also supports a rotary controller, the way that TEMPEST is supposed to be played. I am a HUGE fan of TEMPEST, and it's always been one of my favorite games. Played it in and out and can never get enough. The Jaguar version is superior as a game, hands down. Take it from T2KFreeker on that one. I haven't really played a superior TEMPEST game to 2000 on the Jaguar until TxK on the Vita which just came out. Still, as good as it is, T2K is still it's own experience and still very much worth owning if you have a Jaguar. If you own the PSX/Saturn version and have never played the Jaguar version, dunno' what to tell you because you wouldn't know what you are missing.
    Last edited by T2KFreeker; 04-04-2014 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post

Oh, and for the record, for those of you that complain about Cybermorph and it's "Bland Graphics", if you played the game for longer than five minutes you might get to some of the later levels where the graphics get amazing. This game is always so unfairly bashed into the earth when retreaded crap like Call of Duty is held in such high regard. At least Cybermorph/Battlemorph were trying to do something different from what everyone else was doing.
    Amen.

Cybermorph is one of the most underrated games that I can think of. Not only does it not get anywhere near the amount of respect that it should, it actually gets shat on, on a regular basis. And regarding the graphics, Cybermorph looks especially amazing on an RGB monitor. I have to admit that part of my love of Cybermorph has to do with the fact that it just looks like a totally different game when played on an RGB monitor. Something about the flat shaded polygons look really cool.

It's amazing how so many people have an opinion on the controller when there are barely so many systems out there to support that many people actually getting their hands on the controller. Even if you held the controller and banged on the buttons for a moment and moved the D-Pad around, it doesn't count unless you were playing a game with it. Just saying. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though as I have personally always hated the Playstation style controller. I love fighting games and the D-Pad sucks for them.
    I'm guessing you're not speaking to me, but just in case you are, I can assure you that I've held the Jaguar controller many, many, many times. I actually purchased a Jag at launch, from a San Francisco Toys R Us. I was on the Jaguar bandwagon from day 1. I don't still have that original Jaguar, but I've owned 4 or 5 different Jag systems over the years, and have used as many controllers. I currently have just one Jag, and one controller, but I stick to my feelings that the D-Pad is mush on the Jag controller, and the buttons aren't very good either.

Certainly, it wasn't bad enough to stop me from playing tons of Jag games. In fact, I played through the entirety of Doom using that Jag controller. So, I learned how to deal with it. Sure, it's not ideal, but it works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Jaguar: Terrible controller, bad sound chip, awful graphics, crappy games, CD add-on even worse than the console and most of the time broken even if you bought it brand new in 1995. Nothing to see here, move along!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my only negative with the controller is that A,B, and C's shape often lead them to stick a bit.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Jaguar: Terrible controller, bad sound chip, awful graphics, crappy games, CD add-on even worse than the console and most of the time broken even if you bought it brand new in 1995. Nothing to see here, move along!
    I think this has to be the truth. I never played the Jaguar myself but watching clips of all the games released for the system makes me feel the same way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hate to rain on your parade man, but Miyamoto said he thought the game was a disappointment to him.
    Do you have a quote? I'd be quite surprised to see him be negative towards that classic and feel like he didn't get everything out of it that he could've at the time.

But even if he did, no such statement attributable to him is present with that book scan. The only negativity is from the author himself and someone he quoted whose name isn't even in the credits of the game.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-04-2014 at 07:28 PM.