Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reasons to Buy a PS4 or Xbox One

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Reasons to Buy a PS4 or Xbox One

So I haven't gotten a new gen console yet, although I was seriously debating getting a PS4 with my tax refund. I decided against for a buncha reasons. It seems there's still lotsa games being put out on the 360, which is the console from that gen I own. There isn't a ton out yet for the PS4 yet, and everything's expensive on it, right now. The system, controllers, the games, are all top dollar. And I've heard there's been problems with the servers. Which is typical for a new console, and I know they'll fix them.

It just seems time's on our side for those who haven't bought a new console yet. The price could drop $100 in a year or so, and at that point they'll work out some of the bugs, and there'll be plenty of kickass titles released, and I could even find used copies of these for even cheaper.

So why get now?

I'm just using this time to catch up on a lot of the games I missed last gen, since the prices have gone way down, and I definately didn't play everything I wanted to.

Plus, in terms of graphics, they're never thaaat big of a step up from the previous gen when they first start out. If u look at 360 games or PS3 games released in 2006 or 2007, they don't look that much better then PS2. And u compare them to games of 2012, 2013, the difference is huuge. Look at Halo 3 compared to Halo 4.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    So I haven't gotten a new gen console yet, although I was seriously debating getting a PS4 with my tax refund. I decided against for a buncha reasons. It seems there's still lotsa games being put out on the 360, which is the console from that gen I own. There isn't a ton out yet for the PS4 yet, and everything's expensive on it, right now. The system, controllers, the games, are all top dollar. And I've heard there's been problems with the servers. Which is typical for a new console, and I know they'll fix them.

It just seems time's on our side for those who haven't bought a new console yet. The price could drop $100 in a year or so, and at that point they'll work out some of the bugs, and there'll be plenty of kickass titles released, and I could even find used copies of these for even cheaper.

So why get now?

I'm just using this time to catch up on a lot of the games I missed last gen, since the prices have gone way down, and I definately didn't play everything I wanted to.

Plus, in terms of graphics, they're never thaaat big of a step up from the previous gen when they first start out. If u look at 360 games or PS3 games released in 2006 or 2007, they don't look that much better then PS2. And u compare them to games of 2012, 2013, the difference is huuge. Look at Halo 3 compared to Halo 4.
    While I won't dispute many of your points, the flow of new software that's exclusive to the 360 has slowed to a trickle. Indeed, most of what is on the upcoming release schedule is multi-platform stuff that will be released on the PS4 and/or Xbox One, often with higher resolution and a better frame rate. In some cases developers are even using the additional capabilities of the PS4 and Xbox One to push additional enemies or more sophisticated AI on multi-platform games. I have been an early adopter for much of the past decade or so and I don't regret it, but there have been times when new consoles including the PS2, PS3, WiiU and others have sat unused in my home because of a lack of compelling games. Frankly, if you're having to rely on a tax refund to make the purchase, you probably shouldn't be buying anything as impractical as a video game console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never been one to get stuff when it just comes out. I've always admired it from afar or played it at other people's houses growing up. There's no use in buying things when they just come out. Focusing on other things and naturally time will pass and you'll be able to buy all the stuff for cheap later down the road. I think you'll have to wait another two years at least to really get a taste of what the PS4 can do anyway.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Wait for a price drop and/or the release of a game you just can't stand not having.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have both systems right now, and basically I made a good decision and a bad decision. I really had no business buying a XB1 before there was a game I really wanted for it. The PS4 has been worth it, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that it was cheaper, has more horsepower, and another big part of it is Playstation Plus. I already had a PS+ membership, so getting free games each month doesn't suck.

If I had to choose between the two, it's PS4 7 days a week and twice on Sundays. Now, you might think I'm a Sony fanboy, with such comments, but I can assure you that I'm not very concerned with the name on the box. Last Generation, it was the Xbox 360 that was the best overall system, all things concerned. I'm not sure a Sony fanboy would say something like that.

Anyways, the XB1 will have it uses at some point, but right now it seems all the 3rd party games run a bit better on PS4. So, then it comes down to XB1 exclusives. They are going to have Halo 2 Anniversary Edition this November, and they have that Kinect Sports game. I know they have Sunset Overdrive (Insomniac) and Quantum Break (Remedy), but I have a hard time believing either game will see the light of day in 2014. Especially Quantum Break. I seriously doubt we see that game till November 2015. Sunset Overdrive has a slight chance of making it. Halo 5 is 2015. So, besides Kinect sports game and Halo 2, and off course Titanfall in a week or so.

Sony doesn't have a ton of stuff coming either. Uncharted has no chance of coming out this year, imo. They have DriveClub, but that game was already supposed to be out, and what is going on with the development of that game anyways? Infamous is coming soon, but I've heard some mixed feelings about the game from the press that has seen it. I'm hoping it's good, but anything can happen. The Order: 1886 or whatever that game is called, according to Colin Moriarty of IGN, he doesn't think that game is coming this year. So, what the heck does Sony have coming ?

Both systems will get tons of Indy games to fill in the gaps. They will also get smaller downloadable games. There are games like Dying Light and Mad Max and Destiny and Watch Dogs that will be coming later this Summer and into the Fall. You have to figure a couple of those games will be pretty awesome. Also, you know that TONS of shit will be announced at E3. Possibly huge mega games like Fallout 4 or a new Red Dead Redemption.

One thing that is interesting about the Xbox, is that in certain areas, you can buy one on Craigslist for super cheap. I know a couple of people that recently bought a used Xbox One with a couple of games, for like $430 straight up. Of course, you could just get a brand new PS4 for the same thing. But the XB1's, if you're really patient, and you lowball the guy, you can get one with a couple of games, maybe even an extra controller for about $435 or so. Just make sure if you buy a XB1, you don't pay anywhere close to retail. There is too much supply out there of XB1's. You can find them for cheap prices when there are sellers that are desperate for money, and they have an Xbox One. I'm extremely tempted to buy another XB1, because they are going for so cheap!

Chasing the chuckwagon. schnuth's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just said "screw it" and bought a Wii U bundle on sale. The power of Mario compels me every time. I simply can not resist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    N30V3N0M
    Steam
    N30V3N0M

In my opinion, stick to what appeals to you more. My brother and I got the Xbox One first because it was more appealing to us than the PS4. We will get a PS4, eventually, as well as a Wii U.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Realitically theres virtually no logical reason to have either, but with PS4 you have at least the PSPlus freebies. Neither have anything uniquely released to them that justifies 400 let alone 500 for them. Looking forward Sony is the one ith the upper hand as they have a wide selection of system specific first and second party franchises that MS kind of lacks as they have few relying mostly on developers traditionally. I give it a year and there will be a lower price or a package deal for the cost of the system alone with some added games from retail that may make it worthy. Ill take a PS4 eventually being open, but Ill need to see some Uncharted, God of War, Infamous, Little Big Planet and other of the like releases so maybe two years from now.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It doesn't help that I do live on a tight budget and can only spend so much money. Bills come first, unfortunately. As much as I love being irresponsible with money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by schnuth View Post
    I just said "screw it" and bought a Wii U
    Ironically, the same attitude Nintendo seems to have toward the Wii U

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

The problem I have with the Xbox One is the (wait for it....) Kinect. I simply don't want a camera being a focus point of a game system. Like it or not (regardless on what fans say) the system was built around a Camera and even though most games don't require it the system dedicates resources and has an architecture with a camera as a main component. It's like buying a vehicle with a large diesel engine to run to the grocery store. Sure, you can tow a large trailer but you are sacrificing comfort for something you will never use.

If you like the idea of an interactive camera then Microsoft has the upper hand. This isn't knocking Microsoft in any way, it's just saying that Microsoft focused a core component of the system on something that not everybody likes. I myself would rather have a system that simply has a game controller with the camera being an afterthought.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

PS4 does it too, they just weren't stupid enough to charge people out of the gate an added $100 to buy the system to get it making it a choice. I agree entirely with the comfort issue as I do not like having an open access camera linked to the internet spying on my room 24/7. Some security experts have impressed their feelings of worry that it could be used for a spy tool by hackers, police or the fed gov't without you knowing it.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Not a new idea or anything, but I'm going PC for most of this gen. Built it in the fall, so I should be good for quite a while, and game prices drop so fast for PC, not to mention humble bundles, etc. Bought a Wii U recently because the Zelda one seemed to be getting harder to find and it was a nice bundle (came with Ninja Gaiden and 101 for $270). Hadn't really planned on that so soon, but I'm a sucker for Zelda. I should be covered for almost everything except for a very small number of (mostly Sony) exclusives. I've enjoyed the Uncharted and Infamous series so far, so that'll mean a PS4 eventually, but I'm in no rush.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well if there's nothing you want to play, then it always pays to wait. Whether it's a game console, a TV, a computer or a cell phone, technology always gets cheaper with age.

For me, I got an Xbox One a couple of weeks after release to play Deadrising 3. Really enjoyed that game but then went back to playing the Wii U as there was a long lag in games.

But recently, I played the Titanfall Beta and that game is amazing. Coming from someone who hates CoD (but likes Halo), Titanfall is just very interesting. It's a "COD"esque FTS game at heart, but the Titans add a whole new strategic element that really make the game much more interesting. It comes out March 11 (and two weeks later on 360), and I haven't been this excited about a game in a long time.

I've also been playing Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare over the past week, really fun casual FPS team-based game. That is another XB1 / 360 exclusive, at least for now.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was going to get one on launch.. It had more to do with the hype then the actual games. Its a good thing I didn't get one. There is absolutely nothing I would want to play. I like the Killzone series but it doesn't justify a 450 purchase of a console. Uncharted? boring. Infamous? Hate it. Im content with the Wii U, and that still I paid peanuts for it. I would not buy one for retail or even used prices. Unless a new Resident Evil came out with Wesker hopefully or a Capcom fighter (Marvel vs, Capcom vs SNK etc) I'd probably stupidly buy one.

For now the PS3, Wii U has games coming soon (Mario KArt, Smash Bros, Ultra SF IV, Persona 5) and my other consoles so it looks like its going to be awhile.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've decided to get something next-gen this year, kinda debating between PS4 and the Wii u, cuz I kinda gotta have my Nintendo fix, too. And the Wii u is pretty cheap right now. Idc how good or bad it's doing, it's Nintendo. And I'm sure it's great. I didn't think I'd like the original Wii when it first came out, but my mother gave me hers, and I love it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    I've decided to get something next-gen this year, kinda debating between PS4 and the Wii u, cuz I kinda gotta have my Nintendo fix, too. And the Wii u is pretty cheap right now. Idc how good or bad it's doing, it's Nintendo. And I'm sure it's great. I didn't think I'd like the original Wii when it first came out, but my mother gave me hers, and I love it.
    Picked up the Mario U set on sell a while and it's been quite enjoyable. I'm afraid that this isn't going to get hardly any third party support but as long as Nintendo keeps making games for the Wii-U I will be happy. Mario-U in itself is the best 2-D platformer I have played since Super Mario World on the SNES.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    Picked up the Mario U set on sell a while and it's been quite enjoyable. I'm afraid that this isn't going to get hardly any third party support but as long as Nintendo keeps making games for the Wii-U I will be happy. Mario-U in itself is the best 2-D platformer I have played since Super Mario World on the SNES.
    It'll be a sad day the day u see Mario games being made for Playstation. I'm starting to accept this about Sonic, but I hope I never see this happen to Mario.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Words iManifest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll start and come right out with it, I'm a Xbox fanboy. I absolutely loved my PS1 but waited on the PS2 once I heard Microsoft was making a console. I Bought it as soon as it came out just as I did with the 360, skipping the PS2 and 3 (eventually got those but years later). So I already knew where my heart lay for the next (current) generation when the Xbox One was announced and even all the DRM crap didn't deter me. Now, I've been doing pretty well for myself the last few years so I decided to get a little spicy and not only pre order the Xbox One but the PS4 too.

I can honestly say after extensive time with both (actually all three consoles, got a Wii U as a Christmas/birthday gift last year), the PS4 is hands down and far away the superior console, at least for me. The controller feels amazing, the UI is fast and smooth, the chat work great, the dashboard is clean, the install times are always no longer than 2-3 minutes, everything so far runs in 1080, my expensive Xbox360 headset works on it no problem without any adapter or modifications, incedibly solid in every aspect.

The Xbox One UI clunky, menus suck to navigate, the controller feels looser and the shoulder button positioning sucks compared to the perfect 360 one, they ruined chat, Kinect voice works maybe 25% of the time in a quiet room (I turned all Kinect stuff off), install times are like 15 to 20 minutes for all games, nothing runs in 1080 really yet. My friends and I have to call each other and try to figure out how to navigate and find certain things together, geez, I could go on. I mean, technically it plays the games once they are installed but that's about all I can say about it. I don't have cable so I can't comment on that part but why would you want to do that anyway ? My friend Ron is already on his second Xbox One as his "Day One" crapped out last week...at least he said it was painless and fast to get it replaced.

With all that out of the way I would wholly recommend the PS4 but it really comes down to what games you like because at the base level, they both perform that task just fine (after the hour install time on the One, lol). The Wii U wins out by a landslide though if we're talking about play time, Super Mario, Super Mario 3D, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Wind Waker, Wonderfull 101, Lego Undercover...so colorful, so cheerful and so much fun. A shame the bad rap it gets because while it may not be as powerful or flashy it makes up for it with that great childlike fun factor that you can only get with Nintendo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I haven't purchased either, but it's due to many reasons, including:

-Scarce funds...so bad that I even skip meals during the week to make things last

-Not much interest in both, game wise. Some solid titles, but nothing that makes me want to purchase one right away.

-Still have a huge amount of games from the past generation I've yet to play.

The last "console" I purchased was a PS Vita, which was WAAAY before all the economic woes. I thought it wouldn't have many games, but man I love the system so much. I only have 4 physical games, but thanks to the PS Plus membership, I have loads of games to play. Yes, they aren't technically mine and are "rented", but having these games helps, since there is always something new to play on the system. Yesterday I finished "Dokuro", which is a fantastic game (a bit unbalanced, but only on some parts...usually the game was pretty lenient) and now I am trying out Sumioni, or however it's called. Plus I still have plenty of games to play.

I will be perfectly honest...the PS4 interests me most, but that is mostly because of the PS Plus and there are games that attract me more. But Xbox One has some great games too, and I seriously want to play Killer Instinct. Though for some reason, Titanfall doesn't interest me. Guess I have to play it to see if my opinion changes.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!