Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kiss DS/Wii Online Goodbye

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Got the notice from nintendo,through the wii when i was watching a anime on netflik.Other then they stated (May 20TH) i guess if want to play any wii game online still i better enjoy it while it last then.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

This is (one reason) why I don't play online. I don't want to spend time in something that's just going to go away at some point.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Overpriced my @ss!

You tell me where in the world you can buy Super Mario RPG for $8 dollars?! Super Mario 3 (a $15 game) for 5 bucks. And a treasure trove of rare Turbo Grafx/CD/Super CD games worth $60-$110 a piece for $6-8 a pop.

At the least when I download them I'm getting a complete game and it's helluva lot cheaper than spending $30-40 on dlc, map packs, and costume sets for every incomplete PS3/360 game.
    Hey guyz!!! Let's compare an old game rereleased digitally with brand new games to try and spin Nintendo's overpriced Virtual Console games!

I'm not going to lie. If I want to play my NES games digitally I'm going to emulate them. But when it comes to price for digital RERELEASES Nintendo is far more expensive than the competition.

Nintendo charges $5 for a NES game, $8 for a SNES game, and $12 for a N64 game. Some of those games cost more, like Earthbound which costs $10.

Compare that to Sony which allows the publisher to price them, although most games are $3-$6. Few games like some Square Enix games(mostly Final Fantsy titles,) Metal Gear Solid, and a couple other third party rereleases are $10. So most are only $1 more than NES games, cheaper than SNES, to the few premiums being $2 more than SNES games. All of the games, including PS2 games which are all priced at $10 are cheaper than N64 games.

Unlike the Virtual Console though, games on the PSN frequently go on sale, including PSOne Classics. Persona 2 Eternal Punishment is 50% off, so $5 right now, $3.49 with PS+. That's less than even an NES game on the Virtual Ripoff Console.

Also, anyone who is interested can purchase Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, 45 games, for less than $20, have been able to for awhile. Sega Genesis Collection, Capcom Classics Collection Remixed, and Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded digitally for the PSP on PSN for $10. If you use Steam, you can get some of the Sega Genesis games for $3 each or you can pay $7.50 for each pack of 10 games. So $.75 per game. That's when there's not even a sale going on.

The Sega Genesis games that are on the PS3 and 360 on the PSN or XBL are also $5 each compared to $8 for the Virtual Console. The PSN and XBL versions have leaderboards and online play, where as the Virtual Console versions don't. So you're getting ripped off and you get less features.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-28-2014 at 04:12 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    blah blah blah....

I'm not going to lie. If I want to play my PS1, PS2, PS3, DLC, blah, blah, etc. digitally I'm going to emulate them.

Blah! Blah! Blah! Nintendo is evil w/ zuccinninninninninniiiiiiiiiiii*derp*.
    Congratulations kupo. You contradicted your whole entire statement in one little sentence. Nice job, you Nintendo-hating bigo....trollboy.

(P.S. What good are those leaderboards when either Sega/Sony shut down their servers in about a few years time? :P)
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

With how long it took to get essentially perfect SuperNes emulation, I bet the wait for a suitable PS3 emulator is going to mean waiting until about 2040 before there's a seamless homebrew solution that's a full replacement for the real deal. Something that just sort of works or only runs a minority of the library with a minimum of errors is no replacement for the real deal.

And with things like cloud computing, streaming, and such, we're looking towards a future where we someday probably won't even have the code to even be able to attempt to emulate it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

duplicate.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-05-2014 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Posted above
    If I want to play my PSX and PS2 games digitally I'm going to emulate as well. I'm not going to pay a second time for something I already own and it's simple enough to play on other devices without purchasing again.

It doesn't change the fact that the Nintendo Virtual Console is way overpriced compared to other console publishers who do the same. I pointed out Sony, I pointed out Steam, even Microsoft has cheaper prices. $10 for Perfect Dark HD, a remake of Perfect Dark complete with online play compared to $12 "if" it was on the Nintendo Virtual Console.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Mario Kart Wii is the only online game I ever play. In fact, I think it's the ONLY multiplayer game I've EVER played online, and I do daily. This sucks, but I saw it coming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never played online, but since Mario Kart is active by some I gotta check that out. I'll definitely pick up the new one.
    Tatsunoko vs Capcom was another game I'd love to play but I\ve read there is a lot of lag. I tried to search for a match but got nothing. I'm guessing I have to trade FC. I'm a total noob on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Mario Kart Wii is the only online game I ever play. In fact, I think it's the ONLY multiplayer game I've EVER played online, and I do daily. This sucks, but I saw it coming.
    I'm actually surprised they kept it around this long. Less than 8 months after the Wii U came out, they already started shutting down some of the Wii channels.

It's going to really suck when MS and Sony do this. I hope there's a piracy group out there that will soft mod the systems to connect to a homebrew XBL and PSN when it happens.
    Last edited by Zthun; 03-11-2014 at 01:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I keep hoping that somehow someone, somewhere, will change their mind. Maybe a lot of people just aren't aware of what's going on just yet?

To be clear, the problem is that Nintendo licensed Gamespy Tech for their servers, and Gamespy Tech (not to be confused with the other Gamespy owned by IGN, which is really only a memory now) was bought out by GLU Mobile in 2012. And GLU Mobile is evil.
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...ng-online-play

Perhaps some innocent child will tug on the CEO's pantleg and look up at him with tears welling up in his eyes? It's a server for increasingly-redundant console games! How much upkeep could it possibly require?
    Last edited by Jorpho; 03-11-2014 at 08:43 AM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    It's a server for increasingly-redundant console games! How much upkeep could it possibly require?
    I'm sure my current internet connection and PC build are both fast enough and powerful enough to be the server for every DS and Wii game combined. A small MMO server would probably be more stressful to the PC than Nintendo's library of DS and Wii games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

i wonder if Activision will keep the cod games online, I played both mw3 and black ops last month and they are still a lot of people playing them. I like playing them with the wiimote sometimes!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    I'm actually surprised they kept it around this long. Less than 8 months after the Wii U came out, they already started shutting down some of the Wii channels.

It's going to really suck when MS and Sony do this. I hope there's a piracy group out there that will soft mod the systems to connect to a homebrew XBL and PSN when it happens.
    Flux-gamer.net had links to torrents from whatever source was preserving the digital PSN and Xbox Live content, but the site went down, probably due to not paying their bill. At least we know there are underground private trackers that are doing this. I wish they'd stop being selfish though and upload it on thepiratebay already. Relying on a small tracker that can just get shut down is stupid. At least the digital Wii stuff through Feb 2012 is on the pirate bay. On June 6, 2013 a new updated pack was made and uploaded in July. Nintendo DS games were usually being archived in packs of 100.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 03-11-2014 at 08:21 PM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    At least the digital Wii stuff through Feb 2012 is on the pirate bay. On June 6, 2013 a new updated pack was made and uploaded in July. Nintendo DS games were usually being archived in packs of 100.
    But the Wii Store and the DSi eShop aren't going to be shut down. No content there will be lost, in theory.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    But the Wii Store and the DSi eShop aren't going to be shut down. No content there will be lost, in theory.
    Actually some of that content has already been lost, by licenses expiring and individual games being taken down. Those too, are backed up and included in the romset.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Acht, what gives!? The Pokemon "Global Link" service for Pokemon Black/White was apparently shut down January 14!
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/66122...ion-2/66613904

This sucks! I might have started playing it back then if I had known it was already going to start losing functionality.
    Last edited by Jorpho; 03-14-2014 at 12:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So what sort of connectivity did Final Fantasy III have? The funny thing is that it isn't even listed in the official Nintendo list.

There's something here about an extra job class only being available if you send messages over Wi-Fi, and that you can duplicate the same functionality with a second DS running Final Fantasy III, but is there something else?

Also, what sort of content is only available in Dragon Quest IX via connecting online?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Final Fantasy 3 I don't think let you get extra classes, I think it allowed you to get the overpowered onion knight weapons.

I think Dragon Quest 9 let you play multiplayer. So instead of your hero and three allies. You could play with your hero and three other heroes as your party. I've never used the multiplayer so I'm not entirely sure. I think this is right though.

*edit*

Watching a video it looks like one player controls where him/her and their characters goes, while anyone online can go wherever they want to, and so long as you travel together, if you get in a battle, you can fight in the same battle. Or maybe if you're in the same room you fight the battle whoever is first player gets in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09rSt4vWqfk
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-31-2014 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hm, no worries there, I guess.

Looks like the major contests for Warioware D.I.Y. all finished up three years ago. There's still content available, but it's kind of limited. I guess the time for some of these things is long past.