Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SNK fighting games.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SNK fighting games.

Back in the day I never got into SNK fighting games, the only fighting games I liked were all made by Capcom. Now as I am trying to play King of Fighters 95 I realize the only SNK character I know how to play with is Terry Bogard. So who are some other characters in that game that are easy to play with?
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strategy Wiki has a move guide for all the KoF characters from all sequels. That might help you out getting move basics down.

I believe KoF 98 is the 'definitive' Neo Geo era KoF game. but I know 95 is highly regarded as well.

Are you on a fight pad or stick?
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Strategy Wiki has a move guide for all the KoF characters from all sequels. That might help you out getting move basics down.

I believe KoF 98 is the 'definitive' Neo Geo era KoF game. but I know 95 is highly regarded as well.

Are you on a fight pad or stick?
    I have the stock Neo Geo CD controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    I have the stock Neo Geo CD controller.
    95 has some rigid controls compared to the later releases. I personally love using a custom team of Terry, Takuma, and Heidern. Takuma seems easy enough most of his moves are charge moves like Guile. Or you can do some serious damage by pressing -> C.

Heidern is basically same move inputs as Guile but he has some interesting moves. Such as the hold Down then Up D
    will result in him jumping over to your opponent and spinning around their head. These characters can buffer moves too. Such as using a few weak low hits while pressing down then after your first few low hits press up and D for the head spinning move.

And here is some combo vid of heidern form Kof 98
    Last edited by BricatSegaFan; 01-29-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really like charge characters, I tried playing as few other I was able to find out the fireballs of Andy Bogard, Athena and the guy that is on Athena's team I can't remember his name the younger guy. I wish they gave you more time to select three characters for a team I often run out of time while picking people who I want because I don't really know SNK's cast of characters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SNK's cast feels better than most Capcom guys. To me the move sets are more interesting as well. Did I mention I love using evasive rolls which are absent on any Capcom fighter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I too honestly prefer Capcom fighters to SNK's, but King of Fighters can be a lot of fun too, if you play some of the later ones. The best in my opinion is KOF 2002, which can be found on NeoGeo, PS2, and Xbox. KOF 2002 is like an all-stars version that has dozens of characters with fast gameplay and the tried and true KOF forumla. It's a good game for KOF beginners.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I too honestly prefer Capcom fighters to SNK's, but King of Fighters can be a lot of fun too, if you play some of the later ones. The best in my opinion is KOF 2002, which can be found on NeoGeo, PS2, and Xbox. KOF 2002 is like an all-stars version that has dozens of characters with fast gameplay and the tried and true KOF forumla. It's a good game for KOF beginners.
    Sounds like the kind of KOF I would want to play. I've been meaning to get into that series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Beside KOF the fatal fury real bout series is easy to get into.Since pulling off a combo in real bout is so simple to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Kind of surprise Samurai Shodown and Last Blade franchises arent coming up. Those games were really fantastic and stood out from the Capcom pack being weapon based 1on1 fighters with some great moves while the general controls needed were very SF2 like so the learning curve isnt so rough.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the main SNK fighters I want to get are Garou: MOTW, Fatal Fury Special and Samurai Shodown II.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I usually use Mai when available. I did manage to beat the first Fatal Fury with each of the three characters though.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I'm a big fan of Athena. She fights like Sakura from Street Fighter Alpha, with her psycho ball acting pretty much the same the hidoken and the psycho sword acting as the shoryuken. plus she fights in an idol costume, a sailor fuku, or her psycho soldier battle bikini. no bad choice.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

My favorite characters have always been Mai, Terry and Leona. They have a great selection of moves and are fairly easy to use.

I havent studied the games to a science like some serious players do, but I have quite a few installments and always have enjoyed them.

I know i'm in the minority here but some of my favorites were KOF 99-2001 that used the "Striker system". I played the hell out of them on my Dreamcast years ago. I just loved having my selected "Stiker" jump in suddenly and dish out some punishing combos and then dissapear. I honestly preferr it to the 3 on 3 sytem, but I see the appeal of both.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Back in the day I never got into SNK fighting games, the only fighting games I liked were all made by Capcom. Now as I am trying to play King of Fighters 95 I realize the only SNK character I know how to play with is Terry Bogard. So who are some other characters in that game that are easy to play with?
    I always felt like Kyo Kusanagi was a good beginner character. His moves are easy to learn and he covers most of the important ground. By default he also teams with Benimaru (who is also easy to learn and possibly even kinda cheap) and Goro Daimon (who... takes more practice since most of his moves require you to come in close).

Personally I like SNK's fighters more than Capcom's. Capcom is good but they feel like the "Set the standard" kind of games, whereas SNK's feel more diverse like they're seeing what they can do to tweak the basics. It's sort of like how there was Doom, then there were Doom clones that each brought something unique to the table. And in a weird twist, I also find SNK's storylines more interesting, since there's usually more to them than just "there's a tournament."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread reminded me of this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1391618395760.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	7331  

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    This thread reminded me of this
    Hahaha. Also add Samurai Shodown V to my list.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

If you have a Capcom background, I'd suggest trying out Ryo, since he was basically designed as a Ken/Ryu clone anyways, and has similar moves and controller motions. The other AoF characters (Robert, Yuri, and Takuma) might also float your boat.

Kyo has a nice variety of moves, and is one of the heros of the series, if you want to get into the storyline. I found that his moves were changed quite a bit between iterations, which tended to screw me up. My usual team is some combination of Terry, Ryo, Kyo, and Mai.

I second the recommendation for KOF '98. Easily my favourite in the series... though I also enjoyed 2002 quite a bit.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ended up getting KOF 98, and the Pro Joystick, In KOF 98 I can make it to the end boss on the easiest difficult but can't beat him. In KOF 95 I can't get anywhere. It's probably cause KOF 98 is easier in general.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I ended up getting KOF 98, and the Pro Joystick, In KOF 98 I can make it to the end boss on the easiest difficult but can't beat him. In KOF 95 I can't get anywhere. It's probably cause KOF 98 is easier in general.
    When defeating any boss in any snk fighter it often takes a cheap tactic to win.