Thread: Modding GameCube with XenoGC 2.0 - installation check.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Modding GameCube with XenoGC 2.0 - installation check.

Hi,
    i have installed XenoGC 2.0. It is that wersion with red LED for bad instalation and orange for good instalation.
    After install i have flashing orange LED. But when i try 8cm DVD-R backum gamecube not register disc.
    So i add more power to laser with trimer on board. Now is disc recognized by GC but allways give ERROR -
    "An error has occured. Turn the power OFF and check the Nintendo GameCube instruction booklet for further instructions."

What does mean - Is XenoGC bad installed or is laser problem or some other ?

And is it XenoGC 2.0 good installed if orange LED blinking - flashing(always) or it must permanently lighting ?

Thanks.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Another thing to troubleshoot is whether you're backing up the game correctly. I am interested in finding out what happens in your situation though. I don't know much about Gamecube modding as I thought the only way to play backups was to have Phantasy Star Online + broadband adapter and stream the games via FTP on the computer, or doing a risky mod on the Wii that has the potential to stop retail Gamecube games from working on the Wii. Have they really found a workaround that lets you play burned Gamecube games on a Gamecube?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Another thing to troubleshoot is whether you're backing up the game correctly. I am interested in finding out what happens in your situation though. I don't know much about Gamecube modding as I thought the only way to play backups was to have Phantasy Star Online + broadband adapter and stream the games via FTP on the computer, or doing a risky mod on the Wii that has the potential to stop retail Gamecube games from working on the Wii. Have they really found a workaround that lets you play burned Gamecube games on a Gamecube?
    Hi, you can find many XenoGC installation gudes on Youtube:
    for example here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEUqDioXAy0

And here is XenoGC specification on wiki:
    http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=XenoGC

As you can see it has these features:
    # direct boot of DVD+-RW media
    # compatible with all regions & all versions
    # region free loading
    # super easy wireless install
    # no need to remove mainboard
    # PAL/NTSC region force
    # installation control LEDs
    # switchable read setting adjustment / error retry
    # switchable audiofix
    # anti-static packaging
    # extremely low cost

Also other modchips for GameCube exist but this is cheapest and have very good references. I have some soldering skills and successfully repaired another electronic devices previously.

In XenoGC specification is:
    Check your install if you only get the red LED, or it doesn't light up at all.

I have orange LED flashing - blinking not red, so my install can be good. But in specification is not inscribed if oragne LED(this is second vesion of XenoGC with red led for bad instalation and orange LED for good instalation, first version XenoGC 1.0 has also red LED for bad instalation but green LED for good).
    Red LED on my chip light not at all - this is good, orange LED for good instalation blinking - flashing and i not known if orange LED may light continuously or flashing for signal of good instalation.

I burn ISO with ImgBurn - this is recommended freeware software for burning GameCube or other consoles games from images to boot optical disc like is CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R etc.(Is better software for this task than NERO, I have previously problem with one game for 3DO burned with NERO, after I burn it with ImgBurn this game work OK).

I did everything according to verified procedures from this page:
    http://theisozone.com/tutorials/game...g-and-burning/
    http://www.theisozone.com/forum/view...?f=141&t=20877

Many people use this quides and have no problems, after XenoGC installation games from all regions burned with ImgBurn to 8cm 1,4GB DVD-R working OK. Also i have one of most recommended brands "Verbatim" of 8cm 1,4GB DVD-R, in one post is information that Sony 1,4GB DVD-R sometime do problems on GameCube but anyone hasnt problem with Verbatim.

Still on my GameCube original game work OK, but backup DVD-R no...

I will be thankfull for all tips what problem this can be...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by skel64 View Post
    Hi, you can find many XenoGC installation gudes on Youtube:
    for example here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEUqDioXAy0

And here is XenoGC specification on wiki:
    http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=XenoGC

As you can see it has these features:
    # direct boot of DVD+-RW media
    # compatible with all regions & all versions
    # region free loading
    # super easy wireless install
    # no need to remove mainboard
    # PAL/NTSC region force
    # installation control LEDs
    # switchable read setting adjustment / error retry
    # switchable audiofix
    # anti-static packaging
    # extremely low cost

Also other modchips for GameCube exist but this is cheapest and have very good references. I have some soldering skills and successfully repaired another electronic devices previously.

In XenoGC specification is:
    Check your install if you only get the red LED, or it doesn't light up at all.

I have orange LED flashing - blinking not red, so my install can be good. But in specification is not inscribed if oragne LED(this is second vesion of XenoGC with red led for bad instalation and orange LED for good instalation, first version XenoGC 1.0 has also red LED for bad instalation but green LED for good).
    Red LED on my chip light not at all - this is good, orange LED for good instalation blinking - flashing and i not known if orange LED may light continuously or flashing for signal of good instalation.

I burn ISO with ImgBurn - this is recommended freeware software for burning GameCube or other consoles games from images to boot optical disc like is CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R etc.(Is better software for this task than NERO, I have previously problem with one game for 3DO burned with NERO, after I burn it with ImgBurn this game work OK).

I did everything according to verified procedures from this page:
    http://theisozone.com/tutorials/game...g-and-burning/
    http://www.theisozone.com/forum/view...?f=141&t=20877

Many people use this quides and have no problems, after XenoGC installation games from all regions burned with ImgBurn to 8cm 1,4GB DVD-R working OK. Also i have one of most recommended brands "Verbatim" of 8cm 1,4GB DVD-R, in one post is information that Sony 1,4GB DVD-R sometime do problems on GameCube but anyone hasnt problem with Verbatim.

Still on my GameCube original game work OK, but backup DVD-R no...

I will be thankfull for all tips what problem this can be...
    Oh on the original Xbox, burned games can be picky I've learned. When I tried burning one game to a DVD-R it did not work. So I burned the same game to a DVD+R and it actually worked. Then there was another game that didn't work when I burned it to a DVD+R, so I tried burning it to a DVD-R and again, the game worked.

So maybe you need to try burning this particular game to a DVD+R.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I bought an SD Media Launcher from http://us.codejunkies.com/ and it suits me fine – I just run GCOS off an SD card, and I can run things burned to mini DVD-Rs. (Fortunately, I was able to purchase a big stack of those on liquidation.) It's definitely not perfect; DreamMix TV World Fighters tends to crash during cutscenes. But it was inexpensive and requires no complicated installation. Apparently it will work for a Wii (with backwards compatibility), too.

For reference, my DVD-R discs are FujiFilm, and I burn them using ImgBurn at the slowest possible speed on my ancient but reliable Pioneer writer. Each ISO image is 1,459,978,240 bytes. Some places will supply images with the empty space trimmed off, and such images will have to be re-expanded appropriately; the images you burn must be exactly 1,459,978,240 bytes, as I recall.
    Last edited by Jorpho; 01-06-2014 at 11:38 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I installed my XenoGC I was unsure if it was initially perfect, but I just popped in a Japanese GC game to make sure and was installed right. Once it booted that up fine I knew I was set and the XenoGC was working fine. After that I needed to adjust the potentiometer for laser power a bit to get it to read DVDRs okay, but it works fine now.

Just note that those pots are super delicate and unless you're adjusting them with a multimeter you need to be very careful; you can't just crank them a 1/4 turn or something and hope for the best.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I solve my problem. Orange LED must shine continously. I have one of contacts connected in short circuit, first left up was conected with one on his right side - under XenoGC PCB so i not see that.

I re-solder all contacts on wires and now it is working and Orange controll LED shine continuously !

DVD-RW still not working, but that is laser problem, DVD-R working OK...