Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PS2 and the new Gen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

With all due respect, I've clearly communicated my opinion and addressed all of that at various points in this thread. So as I already said, I won't argue for what I've spoken about in here any further since it's beating a dead horse at this point.

That said, I've never seen a preowned videogame at any retail chain I've ever visited outside of Electronics Boutigue/EBX/EBGames/GameStop. Any used videogames I've seen outside of those chains has been at independent stores. No sign of used videogame software at Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy around here.

So I definitely wasn't mistaking what I've seen for used software (And even if I was, the availability of used software for it at mainstream chains rather supports my point anyways). There's still very much room for debate on if the PS2 is classic or modern.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-02-2014 at 05:13 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I've communicated my opinion and addressed all of that at various points in this thread, so I won't argue for what I've spoken about in here any further.

That said, I've never seen a preowned videogame at any retail chain I've ever visited outside of Electronics Boutigue/EBX/EBGames/GameStop and I think Big Lots. Any used videogames I've seen outside of those chains has been at independent stores. No sign of used videogame software at Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy around here.

So I definitely wasn't mistaking what I've seen for used software (And even if I was, the availability of used software for it at mainstream chains rather supports my point anyways). There's still very much room for debate on if the PS2 is classic or modern.
    My best buy has tons of used games. A lot of them don't even have the original cases, but some do.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by Guyra View Post
    Yeah, I think it's time to put PS2 in the "classic" category now that the new generation is coming. The final game for the system is also coming out soon(PES 2014), though it doesn't have an exact release date yet as far as I know. But I read that the PS2 version of it would come out a bit later than the versions for other systems.
    I completely agree with you. It is now time for PS2 to be in the classic category.

The next gen is fully here in the western world. Xbox One and PS4 are quickly becoming the new current gen.

champion of the year, all years FFStudios's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    wallsmasher64
    Steam
    toxicklay

It's just laughable that a website that declares itself as "The Video Game Database" refuses to categorize the 13 year old best selling video game console of all time as classic. It even says in the huge description for the forum that it doesn't have to be old to be CLASSIC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You make it sound as if classifying it as modern gaming is somehow an insult.

It's just an arbitrary divide to separate discussion, a hold over from the days when the forum was booming and the forum needed organization to best handle the various needs of the community which led to the creation of several sub-forums. It's not as if they're somehow cheating it of its birthright by having discussion assigned to this particular area of the forum.

Some of you are giving this way too much thought.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-22-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

It's not a big deal to me at all, whether PS2 remains in Modern Gaming, or gets moved to Classic Gaming.

That said, I will start to no longer refer to PS4 and Xbox One as 'next-gen' anymore. They are (along with Wii U) now what I consider to be the new current-gen.

The Xbox 360, Wii and PS3 are now, last-gen.
    After all, why would I, or anyone, still refer to last gen as being Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox and GameCube?

As we move into 2014 and past the time PS4 launches in Japan, NEXT-gen will start more & more to mean the future generation that refers to consoles that are now being planned, that will be going into the first stages of R&D (or already have) meaning Sony PS5, Microsoft's successor to Xbox One and Nintendo's 7th home console, which Iwata already stated back in January this year was being R&D'ed as of 2012 along with their next handheld which will be two separate pieces of hardware sharing the same hardware & OS software architecture, regardless of the actual performance/power/speed of each system. It is not as if they're making a single hybrid machine, as some might think--Be sure to read the last two paragraphs in the link very carefully.

Am I saying these future consoles will come out in 2-3 years? No. I am not saying that, at all. They most likely won't arrive until sometime during the 2018-2019 timeframe. Both Sony and EA have said they believe this new console cycle might not be quite as long as the last one (which was 7-8 years from the time Xbox 360 launched in 2005 and PS3 in 2006) but perhaps more like 5-6 years, which would be a more normal amount of time given this past cycle was an unusually long one.
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 12-08-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) mercuryshadow09's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DiEsmitty View Post
    Last time I was in the United States they had them at two games stops I frequent, and a super walmart. At walmart they were next to the red PS3 classic games. Here in Japan they still are a driving force like the PSP. If the weather clears up I will go to Yamada and take some pictures . The point is they are still a factor in the market, maybe in a year or so their market share will shrink down to that of retro clone machines.
    I haven't seen PS2 games in Walmart or Gamestop except in yellow disc sleaves new for at least two years, Walmart hasn't had PS2 stuff except online or discount games section for years!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryshadow09 View Post
    I haven't seen PS2 games in Walmart or Gamestop except in yellow disc sleaves new for at least two years, Walmart hasn't had PS2 stuff except online or discount games section for years!
    As has been pointed out, it's a regional thing. Or at least a stock thing. My local Walmart still has a small stock of PS2 games up for grabs. Are they still getting whatever is left at the local warehouse or just burning off what they personally have left over? Who knows, but they've got'em.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Just rename the sections 20th Century Gaming and 21st Century Gaming if you don't want to move systems around.

Yes, PS2 technically came out in 2000 which is technically 20th century but it had "has no gaems" syndrome until the 21st, and anyway most of it's lifetime was 21st.

Insert Coin (Level 0) LordsOfSkulls's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LordsOfSkulls
    PSN
    LordsOfSkulls

>.> i kinda dont want it to go to classic... their too many threads their that dont interest me cause of how old the consoles are in their/never plan on getting any of them

i think we should have new section were it something like "Modern Classic" ;3 for PS2 Eras forward.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

How would that be any different than your it is currently?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think "retro" or "classic" doesn't really have as much to do with if u can buy them in stores, it's a more subjective thing, and much more opinion-based. PS2 is absolutely a classic system. I put on Vice City a few months ago for the first time in years, and it took me right back to being a 14yo kid again. Same with games like JAk & Daxter, Metal Gear Solid 3, Gran Turismo 3.. If u can get that kinda nostalgia from it, it's retro to me. Sure, it's not 80s or 90s retro, but who even cares? I love the PS2 and I love the endless amounts of amazing games u can find at retro game stores for next to nothing.

It's definately in that in between stage for people, where it's too old to be modern and too new to be retro. And I think it is awesome, cuz it means no one gives a crap, and so the games are dirt cheap, and I have been having a field day collecting them. I remember when the PS1 games were in this stage, and now everyone considers them to be classic games. So give it a few years. To me, PS2 games are already classics. Vice City and Metal Gear Solid 3 and FFX will always be classic games.

I remember hearing about PS1 systems and N64's first being considered "classic" or "retro", and thought that what was considered a retro system, in my eyes, was always any before this gen. 3D gaming was modern, in my eyes. Now it's changed for me.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

U can't find Dreamcast games at Wal-mart though. And that's the same gen. If the PS2 had flopped like the Dreamcast, this debate wouldn't be happening. Plus, there's still a huge home-brew market for the Dreamcast, and lotsa other retro systems. They're still making Atari 2600 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i consider ps2 classic,mainly cause it has a crapload of games,and ncaa football 2004 i have been playing for ten years,whoops 11 years ,they came out year before,forgot bout that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guyra View Post
    Yeah, I think it's time to put PS2 in the "classic" category now that the new generation is coming. The final game for the system is also coming out soon(PES 2014), though it doesn't have an exact release date yet as far as I know. But I read that the PS2 version of it would come out a bit later than the versions for other systems.
    Yeah, definitely. The PS2 after all did come in Japan during Spring 2000 and later that year to North America. The year 2000 was more than a decade ago obviously and it's about time the PS2 is labeled a classic.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The system is 14 years old. In 2000, I owned a PS1, and got a PS2 not too long after it was released. I remember getting the Playstation magazine, and being stunned by the gameplay shots of the PS2. Metal Gear Solid 2 being the clincher.

Anyway, the system came out in 2000, and at this point the NES was 15 years old. I still had mine, along with my Genesis, and to me, the NES was an ol' school-retro thing. And I kept it around for that reason. So the PS2 being 14 years old now, it's as old as the NES was when it was first released, and the NES was retro then. So there ya go.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PS2 is classic. there is no more games being released for it in America so therefore it's classic.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think we should go even further and reclassify Ps1/Saturn/N64 games and up as "modern gaming".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well if there's annoyance of PS3 era stuff going 'classic' split the board to SD-Classic and HD-Classic. That would keep the PS3 and 360 in its own area, and the pre-HD PS2/GC/PSP/DS stuff back would fall into the old old stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't call it classic then sellers of all forms will start jacking the price on used games. With that lame reason.