Thread: Any good Video Game Stores in Dallas/FTW area?

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Any good Video Game Stores in Dallas/FTW area?

Hey guys I am getting a transfer to the Ft Worth/Dallas area beginning of May and was wondering if there is much in the area for good video game stores.

Not the stupid EB, Gamestops that are everywhere but somewhere where I can get some good stuff like Saturn, snes, etc

Thanks and any help would be great

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Game Exchange in Lewisville TX

I used to work there. New people bought it after I left but its still a cool mom n pop game store "they branched out more into hosting D&D games and shit" Then down the Street theres a CD exchange place that sometimes has stuff.

FYI if you stop in and see it I painted that mural in back of the store.

Also dont forget to hit TRADERS VILLAGE on the weekends "Its a little past six flags -huge flea market-". I used to score alot of good stuff there like complete SNES titles sealed NES and Saturn... lots of finds there but I havent been in like 2 years.

I used to guard traders Village from other Collectors but Im in Nevada now....

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love flea markets and heard about traders village and the flea markets up in mckinney and other places.

That is something I am excited about checking out

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sothy sold me a genesis at game exchange one time, i was scared, true story

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Biafra Riot

If you go to Trader's Village watch your wallet, I've seen many people get pick-pocketed there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay here's the scoop
    Traders Village there's a guy who's in the back by the water tower. 3025 I think. He has a Marlboro clock sign and a TON of stuff spread out. Sometimes his truck is parked out front of his shop. He has EVERYTHING. He also knows that. He's a bit pricey unless he doesn't know what he has. 99% of the time, he knows. The outdoor garage sale places are where it's at out there. I got Final Fantasy 1 on NES for a buck one time.

Henderson Bazaar right behind the Ft Worth Courthouse. Good flea market, sometimes a bit high, but there is folks who set up garage sales stuff there. I've bought several very good games there, dirt cheap in comparison. It's actually on Jackboro Hwy in River Oaks/Ft Worth. The further south you go towards downtown Fort worth, the street turns into Henderson. But it's wedged in between the courthouse and the Trinity river.

There's another one off I-20 but there's only one guy. His stuff is cheap but limited.

A few thrift stores, Thrift Town has two locations, there's a Mission store in Haltom City. Another off Oakland in Fort Worth.
    Goodwill, several locations. The main one in South Ft Worth has the morning auctions but they are rigged.

Half Price Books has some, they are all over the metroplex.

The Gamestop (I know, I know) on Denton Hwy in Haltom City has the old stuff 50% off. Lots of DC, genny and some SNES left over. The entire district dumped there retro in that store. I thought you might want to know that.

Happy hunting. The only complaint I have is the weather changes rapidly out here.
    PM me if you have any more questions when you get here.
    Daniel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a place called Apex Games on South Cooper St. in Arlington (Just south of the UTA campus), which used to have tons of good stuff, but I haven't been there in at least a year so I don't know what they have today. I may check them out again soon when I am over that way. Years ago I bought some japanese import stuff and adaptors from them.
    47 years young ---
    Favorite game genres: 2D games, classic/puzzle, golfing games. No longer collecting games...

My Feedback:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81369

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaveD
    There is a place called Apex Games on South Cooper St. in Arlington (Just south of the UTA campus), which used to have tons of good stuff, but I haven't been there in at least a year so I don't know what they have today. I may check them out again soon when I am over that way. Years ago I bought some japanese import stuff and adaptors from them.
    I hate to break it to ya, but that store shut down and moved somewhere else in Arlington. I moved from Arlington in 2004'...was a sad day when they had to close it down. They said they were losing so much business because of the three GameStops that were so close by..(Green Oaks Blvd)

Sothy, you used to go to Trader's Village? Son of a bitch, I could have met you and didn't even know it...I used to go there every single weekend when I was in Arlington during 2001 to 2004.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Radical Dude Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, so many collectors from this area. Now I know why most of the stores I go to never have anything.

Trader's Village was a good source for awhile. I haven't been down there in about a year though. I got a majority of my NES games from there a few years back. That one guy's store has insane prices ($35 for Mendel Palace loose, $25 for most Color Dreams titles, $60 for an Atari 2600), but he does have a lot of obscure games for all systems. He also will do trade ins. There's also a video/DVD store around there as well with some sealed games for $7 or so. Nothing that exciting.

Off of Pioneer Rd in Arlington theres a run down looking mall with an indoor flea market. Occasionally they will have some games for cheap.

Apex Games shut down in 04? I could've sworn I was there last year as I got a good haul of NES games from them. I stopped going when they started using internet pricing D:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Ghouls n ghosts..... We probably walked by eachother.

Hell got any memories of a big white guy giving you a men look when you snagged a rare title right before he walked up? prolly me.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that guy in Traders Village...
    I worked for him for a while. His profit margin was HUGE.
    He sold a Dragon Warrior 4 w/ booklet for 50 bucks to a gamer from Frisco.
    He does do deals with a huge sale, but not as good as you would think.
    He is a nice guy but he also knows what he has. Mendels Palace will stay there forever. I don't know why he's selling it for 35 bucks. I bought mine for a dollar!
    Most of his money he made was from satellite cards and Dish receivers.
    PM me, I know his inventory in and out. Since his prices are outrageous, his inventory doesn't change too much.
    For instance if you don't see a NES title, ask him to look in the drawers behind the counter. He keeps his rare or expensive titles back there.
    He had a boxed Little Samson once. I think sealed not sure but his price was 30 bucks firm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread brings a tear to my eye. Anyone been to Vikon Village in/near Garland? I used to buy comic books out there... it was also the only place I could buy Playboys when I was 16.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I lived in Dallas back until 2003. I used to go to this place called "Half Price Books".

It's a huge book store (new and second hand), but they also buy and sell old Video Games and PC games, so it might be worth a look. They had an excellent selection of PC and SNES games back when I lived there. They also have a damn good selection of old (I mean OLD) strategy guides.

I'm wanting to say it was off of Greenvile Ave. but I may be wrong. You'd be better off checking the yellow pages. I just remember the Cheescake Factory was in a strip mall across the street.

Just one word of advice... Never sell to them. You'll get ripped off. Only buy from them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Sorry... Double post.

Weird... I only pressed the button once.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cracked8ball

Apex Games shut down in 04? I could've sworn I was there last year as I got a good haul of NES games from them. I stopped going when they started using internet pricing D:
    Weird, because in 04' the place was shut down for a long time during that Summer. Could have been remodeling perhaps?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sothy
    Ghouls n ghosts..... We probably walked by eachother.

Hell got any memories of a big white guy giving you a men look when you snagged a rare title right before he walked up? prolly me.
    Nope, only rarest thing I came across in Trader's Village was a SNES 2 system...other then that it was common goods.

There was this strange guy in the far back who had a glass case filled with complete NES Games and there was this giant basket filled with nothing but Turbo Grafx 16 units..it was a crying shame how they were stacked like garbage dump...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The guy in Trader's Village?

His name is Harold. Space 3025 I think. He is a major packrat. Sure he has everything. That's because he has an inside to Goodwill's donated bounty. All of Fort Worth's finest that donate their games, help his gambling and sports cards habit.
    I've seen him blow through 2-300 bucks worth of boxes, looking for autographs and chase cards.
    Oh yeah and drinking too sometimes.

He knows folks who hold stuff for him at Goodwill. He buys low and sells them to us very high. He also picks up donations for Goodwill I've been told. He was a nice guy until I found out about this stuff.

Anyhoo, he has so much crap to sift through it's unreal. Is there something odd you need? Ask him, but be prepared for "I'll have to go find it, come back in a half hour" or "I have one at home see me next weekend" Just look around. You might be able to find it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Exclamation

Bumped to request updated information. I'm going to be in the Dallas area over Memorial Day weekend and would like to know if anything has changed. Are there any new stores or have any reported ones closed down? Is this guy in the Trader's Village flea market still operating? Any updated info would be greatly appreciated.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Update to retro shopping in Dallas

Here in 2014 I am afraid that Harold is no longer at Trader's Village (verified from two weeks ago), however I have had a lot of luck hitting Movie Trading Company, Console Game Exchange (CGX), and Half Price Books.