Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fighting games with version specific characters?

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Fighting games with version specific characters?

I'm talking games like TMNT: Tournament Fighters, where the Genesis version had Sisyphus and April but the SNES didn't, however it had its own exclusive characters like Chrome Dome and War. Of course there was Soul Calibur 2 with it's Gamecube/PS2/Xbox exclusives but I seem to remember this sort of thing being much more common in the 16 and 32 bit eras.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

You mean like Final Fight compared to Final Fight Guy? Ironically I have Final Fight Guy but I still haven't found a cheap copy of Final Fight yet. The days when you could still regularly find rare games for good prices is something I miss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm thinking more one-on-one fighters as opposed to beat 'em ups like Final Fight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Ps2 version of king of fighters XI has more characters than the arcade version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Samurai Shodown (SNES) had Earthquake, but he was omitted from the Genesis version.

There was a character named Khameleon in Mortal Kombat Trilogy (N64) who was a female ninja, while the PS1 version's Chameleon was male.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

The Xbox version of King of Fighters: Maximum Impact had that one dude from Fighter's History who's name of escapes me right now.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSerpico View Post
    I'm talking games like TMNT: Tournament Fighters, where the Genesis version had Sisyphus and April but the SNES didn't, however it had its own exclusive characters like Chrome Dome and War.
    Does it really count when the multiple versions of TMNT: TF are completely different, unrelated in anything other than brand name, to begin with?

The Earthquake example isn't really the best one either, since Earthquake's not a character added for a specific version but simply removed from the Genesis one because of technical limitations.

For the most part, as far as I can think, adding version-exclusive characters in fighters started more or less with the 32-bit era, where fighting game ports were close enough to the arcade versions that extra incentive may have been needed to get buyers.. Some examples I can think of: non-NeoGeo console versions of Samurai Shodown IV had ChamCham. Norimaro was Japan-exclusive in Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter (Not really an example following the other trends, Norimaro was absent from US versions because lolMahvel). The loads of characters introduced in the Playstation port of Street Fighter Alpha 3. Or the bizarre Darkstalkers cameo in Marvel Super Heroes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Pepsiman in the Japanese version of Fighting Vipers on the Saturn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=autrrmHH3TU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Soul Calibur 2. Fucking annoying as hell if you ask me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Cyberbots Full Metal Madness for the (PS1&Sega Saturn) does have the akuma,mech.The arcade version never had it at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRn0kLuI1zU

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know you're looking for fighting games, but WWF Royal Rumble(wrestling video games kind of fill a gap between beat 'em ups and fighting) between the Genesis and SNES comes to mind. Both games had wrestlers the other version didn't.

Saturn had a MK trilogy too, did that have a k/chameleon character at all?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does it really count when the multiple versions of TMNT: TF are completely different, unrelated in anything other than brand name, to begin with?

Yes, and I wouldn't say that the Genesis and SNES ports are all that different aside from the character rosters and the Genesis game including super moves. The NES port is a different animal entirely due to the two button scheme and technical limitations but the 16 bit versions are fairly similar. As for the above post, I definitely remember WWF games being notorious for this, especially Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game's rush job SNES port missing both Yokozuna and Bam Bam Bigelow, yet still having Razor Ramon and Lex Luger playable even though both had been in the WCW for months by the time the console versions were released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Pepsiman in the Japanese version of Fighting Vipers on the Saturn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=autrrmHH3TU
    Prime example!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, and I wouldn't say that the Genesis and SNES ports are all that different aside from the character rosters and the Genesis game including super moves. The NES port is a different animal entirely due to the two button scheme and technical limitations but the 16 bit versions are fairly similar.
    They are totally different games and if you can't see that, then you need to get your eyes and ears checked. They aren't similar AT ALL...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    They are totally different games and if you can't see that, then you need to get your eyes and ears checked. They aren't similar AT ALL...
    ^ Pretty much what he said. They share nothing code wise. They don't share any graphics or music, and the graphics and music in each game has an entirely different aesthetic sense (the SNES in line with previous Konami TMNT games, the Genesis giving a style more akin to the classic Mirage comics) so they aren't even trying to appear similar to each other. Their gameplay mechanics, physics, and controls are nothing alike (They don't even use the same amount of buttons!), and their character roster only has 5 characters in common (Those being the TMNT themselves and Karai).

I'd frankly consider calling them "the same game" to be an insult to the SNES version. The SNES TF is one of the best non-arcade-port fighting games on the SNES. The Genesis TF is a prime example of how terrible gameplay mechanics and stupid design decisions can ruin what could've otherwise been a Genesis audiovisual masterpiece. I will blame that game for why we may never have a TMNT game based on the Mirage comics proper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I was wrong sorry. I hadn't played the Genesis version in years but I own the other two so my recollections were hazy and mostly a mishmash of the other two games. Booted it up on emulator and it's a much less enjoyable experience than the SNES title

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Norimaro, an original character included in the Japanese version of Marvel vs. Capcom (PS1), could not be accessed in the US version. He was supposed to be a stereotypical, Japanese 'creepy otaku' student so that probably had a lot to do with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post

The Earthquake example isn't really the best one either, since Earthquake's not a character added for a specific version but simply removed from the Genesis one because of technical limitations.

For the most part, as far as I can think, adding version-exclusive characters in fighters started more or less with the 32-bit era, where fighting game ports were close enough to the arcade versions that extra incentive may have been needed to get buyers.. Some examples I can think of: non-NeoGeo console versions of Samurai Shodown IV had ChamCham. Norimaro was Japan-exclusive in Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter (Not really an example following the other trends, Norimaro was absent from US versions because lolMahvel). The loads of characters introduced in the Playstation port of Street Fighter Alpha 3. Or the bizarre Darkstalkers cameo in Marvel Super Heroes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Norimaro, an original character included in the Japanese version of Marvel vs. Capcom (PS1), could not be accessed in the US version. He was supposed to be a stereotypical, Japanese 'creepy otaku' student so that probably had a lot to do with it.
    Covered

Last edited by wiggyx; 07-21-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Covered

I'm talking games like TMNT: Tournament Fighters, where the Genesis version had Sisyphus and April but the SNES didn't, however it had its own exclusive characters like Chrome Dome and War. Of course there was Soul Calibur 2 with it's Gamecube/PS2/Xbox exclusives but I seem to remember this sort of thing being much more common in the 16 and 32 bit eras.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Soul Calibur 2. Fucking annoying as hell if you ask me.
    Eh.. it happens.

Brutal: Paws of Fury (Sega CD) has an exclusive character -- The Pantha
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 07-21-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Soul Calibur 4 had Yoda on the 360 version and Darth Vader on the PS4, although it was found through a hack that both characters were on the 360 version and they were both probably on the PS4. They might have later been released as DLC.

Ehrgeiz was at arcades then PSX. The PSX version they added Claire, Misuda, Sephiroth, Vincent, and Yuffie. Django was on the arcade version but only playable on the PSX.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 has a lot of changes. You can view the Wiki article if you're interested in them. SFA3Max for PSP has the most characters, followed by the GBA, PSX, then arcade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_Alpha_3
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.