Thread: Super UFO Pro 8 (cheapo snes flash cart)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I don't believe that we ever got too deep into discussion post launch, but there's a thread here:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...S-Superdrive-8

I have one, and based on the filename limitations from the old floppy drive reader/writers that these things are retrofitted from:

yes, you have to keep your game names 8 characters or less.

Also, games load into flash ram to load, and saves/save states have to similarly be loaded into a separate ram bank.

That being understood - regarding complaints about the save file use/organization - it helps if you keep every game rom in its own folder, that way the system will keep the specific game saves and/or save state files in those folders too, otherwise if you keep all the games in a single directory, it will dump the save file at the very end of the list of games, and it's a pain in the ass to retrieve if you have a lot of roms on an SD card.

I haven't really fooled around with the things ability to dump games to the SD card via the top cartridge slot or rip/write memory to real games, but I believe it can do all of that just like the old floppy readers/writers can.

As far as functionality, for the cost of the thing, I think it's excellent. You're not going to get the cleaner, more intuitive menus of the other flash carts, but once you figure out how to operate the thing it works exactly as you'd want it to.

It obviously can't run super FX games or any games that use special chips, but I couldn't find any compatibility problems with the other games I tried.

I can't confirm but I would imagine that games that don't use special chips but run security lock-out code have roms out there that have that stuff patched out (Mario RPG, Earthbound, etc.).

Build quality is sturdier than you would think too.

For $50 you can't go wrong.

Pairs nicely with a SupaBoy.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 07-07-2013 at 10:24 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"