Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Um, Did Anyone Buy An OUYA?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I don't think anyone expected it to be a full gaming console, at least not the Kickstarter backers. What people did expect is that it would be a wide open box where games could easily be installed from existing Android sources. That unfortunately is not the case. If you're using it for emulation, it's not bad. If you're expecting that it will play vast libraries of Android games, including ones you already own on other devices, you're out of luck. For an "open device", it has a very traditional walled-off app store if you want commercial games. Sadly, developers are not rushing to make the minor changes needed to sell their Android games in the Ouya store.

Frankly, I think releasing this to retail as they have done is a huge mistake. The average consumer has no need for something like this and I can anticipate further backlash when people hook it up and expect console-like amenities like an easy to use UI that just don't exist on the Ouya.
    What's the rooting situation like? Has anybody installed vanilla Android on the box?

Somebody probably going to make an installer build for that eventually, no?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

What emulators does this thing have for it so far? Also, are developers creating emulators specifically for it, not just some Android port?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

they seem to have sold out. I'd like one for emulation and those android games that just don't play right on a phone. its only 99$ so when I have that amount available it should be a decent quick buy

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otaku View Post
    they seem to have sold out. I'd like one for emulation and those android games that just don't play right on a phone. its only 99$ so when I have that amount available it should be a decent quick buy
    Not sure where you're reading that. Gamestop.com still has them for shipping within 24 hours and many of their stores have them in stock as well.

Looks like Amazon has them as well with a 1-2 day delay. Not exactly hard to find.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 06-27-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When rooted, you can run any apk. Doesn't have to come from Play or the system store. The Ouya marketplace is for people who want zero effort free play demos and games. Also for new devs to have access to an instant audience. Silly to see a system designed to erradicate barriers, as a imposed barrier, but ok. I fully intend to run mine like a Wii with a usb loader frontended. May even drag out the ol' code monkey in me sometime down the road.

My main gripe is this; any of the main console producers could have easily done this since 2005 or so, and chose not too. Want to see that error exploited, big time. Oh yeah!
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 06-28-2013 at 02:04 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Google is said to be developing an Andriod based console themselves. - http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/...-games-console

That's not going to be good for the Ouya.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its like in the 70's with all those Pong consoles, too many to deal with so people arent going to buy them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    Its like in the 70's with all those Pong consoles, too many to deal with so people arent going to buy them.
    Well, Android is a bit different than that, it's a very well established OS at this point, so it'll just be a matter of a company hitting the sweet spot in terms of price and hardware and THEN that will be the only one that people buy.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    Google is said to be developing an Andriod based console themselves. - http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/...-games-console

That's not going to be good for the Ouya.
    Been waiting for that one, actually. Couple years going now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not really thrilled here with OUYA. My phone easily outpaces it (HTC ONE). I think once some original OUYA games come out I'll load the OUYA front end on my phone and play. I already have a moga gamepad and wireless hdmi on my phone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I have nothing at all against the console, but this GIF made me laugh.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good to know it outdoes some tablets, but as Bri said some will be better than it. This guy made a video where he talked about the Ouya being screwed when the Androids are updated to Tegra 4, but if tablets are upgraded I guess an Ouya 2.0 will come out.....within 2 years of launch.

Last edited by JakeM; 06-29-2013 at 05:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Good to know it outdoes some tablets, but as Bri said some will be better than it. This guy made a video where he talked about the Ouya being screwed when the Androids are updated to Tegra 4, but if tablets are upgraded I guess an Ouya 2.0 will come out.....within 2 years of launch.
    Yes, and when an Ouya v2 comes out with a Tegra 4, it will be screwed when Android is updated to Tegra 5. See, I guess I just don't get this argument. The Ouya came to light a year ago, before the Tegra 4 was even announced. If you buy a computer today, next month it will be outdated. Should you have waited a month, because that PC will be outdated a month later.

It's called technology.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post
    Yes, and when an Ouya v2 comes out with a Tegra 4, it will be screwed when Android is updated to Tegra 5. See, I guess I just don't get this argument. The Ouya came to light a year ago, before the Tegra 4 was even announced. If you buy a computer today, next month it will be outdated. Should you have waited a month, because that PC will be outdated a month later.

It's called technology.
    In fairness, nobody forced Ouya to release this month. They could have held the release until the Tegra 4 was ready which probably would have only delayed the release by a couple of months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    In fairness, nobody forced Ouya to release this month. They could have held the release until the Tegra 4 was ready which probably would have only delayed the release by a couple of months.
    While that might be true, you still have to remember that the Ouya and it's Kickstarter campaign started 6 months prior to the T4 being announced. It comes down to if you wait too much longer, somebody else might beat you to the punch or people just start getting pissed altogether and say fuck it. Was there room for improvements? Absolutely. But from what I've read here and on other forums, this thing seems to hold it's own fairly well.

I guess what I'm trying to get at through all this rambling is, at $99 I'm not sure what everybody is/was expecting. To buy a similarly spec'd out Tegra 4 device (off contract) would run you easily 4 to 5 times that, and that wouldn't include a controller.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's called technology.
    I was just saying something, not to put the system down, but its something I really just thought of. His video he mentioned in the one I posted was just about it being behind when Tegra 4 comes out. I went further and talked about how theyll have to update the chips too. So, will the Ouya user update it as well, or have to just buy a Ouya 2.0/3.0 when that happens to keep up with the new Android games made? I really just wanted to post that video since he made it, and then I commented on the game looking better than on his tablet and how Bri's game didnt because she has a better one. Thinking of having to upgrade up through the Tegra's puts some things into perspective for me, and now I dont think I really want to go for this. Its made to be customizable, but when you have to flat out start replacing its own core chips, then it makes me think its not worth it. Maybe when they upgrade it with Tegra 4 and have more memory and other things in it, then itll be a better buy.

Plus Mad Katz is releasing their own Voodoo or something console. Good grief, maybe Google will be able to make the one people go to just because of their brand, but if that fails to find an audience then thats when its obvious this trend has run its course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Thinking of having to upgrade up through the Tegra's puts some things into perspective for me, and now I dont think I really want to go for this. Its made to be customizable, but when you have to flat out start replacing its own core chips, then it makes me think its not worth it. Maybe when they upgrade it with Tegra 4 and have more memory and other things in it, then itll be a better buy.

Plus Mad Katz is releasing their own Voodoo or something console. Good grief, maybe Google will be able to make the one people go to just because of their brand, but if that fails to find an audience then thats when its obvious this trend has run its course.
    But don't people upgrade their gaming consoles every few years? Technology advances. The Ouya was designed around the T3, so I don't know how much more work it would have taken to redesign around the T4, but that would have put them behind schedule even more.

And as far as Google making their own console, let's just keep in mind that not everything that Google touches turns to gold. Google+ was a day late and a dollar short to Facebook, Google Video was a failure so they bought YouTube instead, and the Nexus Q media device never even got officially released. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Google built a prototype gaming console, decided to say screw it, and buy up Ouya instead. By then, Ouya should have a decent market share.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

While that might be true, you still have to remember that the Ouya and it's Kickstarter campaign started 6 months prior to the T4 being announced. It comes down to if you wait too much longer, somebody else might beat you to the punch or people just start getting pissed altogether and say fuck it. Was there room for improvements? Absolutely. But from what I've read here and on other forums, this thing seems to hold it's own fairly well.

I guess what I'm trying to get at through all this rambling is, at $99 I'm not sure what everybody is/was expecting. To buy a similarly spec'd out Tegra 4 device (off contract) would run you easily 4 to 5 times that, and that wouldn't include a controller.
    I don't know, Shield is a Tegra 4 with a built in screen and some serious streaming capabilities for $300. I imagine a stand alone Tegra 4 console with no screen but TV output would probably be more like $150 - $175 and the Tegra 4 would boost processing capabilities by something like 5 - 6 times. Sure, $175 isn't exactly a mass market price like $100 is, but let's be honest, Ouya isn't really a mass market device, it's more of a device tech people and hobbyists are going to tinker with for a while and then move on to the next thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The smartphone i got in nov '11 has a tegra2. Hdmi out, tv dock w/remote, webtop... I like that this thing is out there and finding audience and devs to support it, but I'm going to wait for a must-have option. Ouya is close, just not enough to get me to jump on it

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Considering I am already seeing people sell them I don't think they are well liked among gamers. I know I never heard of it until a few days ago and I'm already going to shun the thing for life.

tehmiker, on 15 Jun 2013 - 8:36 PM, said:

I have an OUYA console I got a couple weeks ago (Kickstarter backer) that I'm looking to sell. Comes complete with console itself, controller + batteries, HDMI cable, power adapter, original box, and all documentation. Everything is minty fresh, like you just bought it new. Asking $75 shipped (to US only) which is $25 less than retail. PM me or reply here if you're interested or want pics. I'm in the US and only accept PayPal.

Thanks for looking!

-Mike

Reminds me of this.

Personally I wouldn't pay $100 bucks for emulation that I can do on my computer for free and better. With the $100 savings I can buy an adapter to use every console controller and all while having better emulation.