Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Um, Did Anyone Buy An OUYA?

It looks like a good option if you wanted to emulate games on your tv, while also having access for lesser known new android games. Ill get it, but I have to have the extra $100 lying around.

Did anyone buy it, or have a friend buy it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    It looks like a good option if you wanted to emulate games on your tv, while also having access for lesser known new android games. Ill get it, but I have to have the extra $100 lying around.

Did anyone buy it, or have a friend buy it?
    I want one too, if nothing else for the emulation aspect and XBMC or Plex. I think I'm gonna wait around though and wait for them to work out whatever kinks people are still having.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice to see something finally materialize in this direction. I wouldn't put money on this box taking off, but I'm highly anticipating something similar to it.

Controller looks cheap and clunky... idk.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Controller looks cheap and clunky... idk.
    I got my hands on a developer kit model of the controller at a friends place (dont ask how he got one), and it was not good, so looking at the redesign it looks like its a big improvement.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got one, bought it for retro gaming via emulators. I downloaded snex on it immediately and discovered that the usb drive does not work so there is no way to upload roms to the system. Apparently this will be fixed with a firmware release, but at the moment the console is usless to me.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by FTAiii View Post
    I've got one, bought it for retro gaming via emulators. I downloaded snex on it immediately and discovered that the usb drive does not work so there is no way to upload roms to the system. Apparently this will be fixed with a firmware release, but at the moment the console is usless to me.
    I'm seeing confirmation on other forums that external drives and USB sticks work fine but you need to format them to FAT32 and connect them before powering up the system.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not really thrilled here with OUYA. My phone easily outpaces it (HTC ONE). I think once some original OUYA games come out I'll load the OUYA front end on my phone and play. I already have a moga gamepad and wireless hdmi on my phone.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I have nothing at all against the console, but this GIF made me laugh.

"And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good to know it outdoes some tablets, but as Bri said some will be better than it. This guy made a video where he talked about the Ouya being screwed when the Androids are updated to Tegra 4, but if tablets are upgraded I guess an Ouya 2.0 will come out.....within 2 years of launch.

Last edited by JakeM; 06-29-2013 at 05:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    Good to know it outdoes some tablets, but as Bri said some will be better than it. This guy made a video where he talked about the Ouya being screwed when the Androids are updated to Tegra 4, but if tablets are upgraded I guess an Ouya 2.0 will come out.....within 2 years of launch.
    Yes, and when an Ouya v2 comes out with a Tegra 4, it will be screwed when Android is updated to Tegra 5. See, I guess I just don't get this argument. The Ouya came to light a year ago, before the Tegra 4 was even announced. If you buy a computer today, next month it will be outdated. Should you have waited a month, because that PC will be outdated a month later.

It's called technology.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post
    Yes, and when an Ouya v2 comes out with a Tegra 4, it will be screwed when Android is updated to Tegra 5. See, I guess I just don't get this argument. The Ouya came to light a year ago, before the Tegra 4 was even announced. If you buy a computer today, next month it will be outdated. Should you have waited a month, because that PC will be outdated a month later.

It's called technology.
    In fairness, nobody forced Ouya to release this month. They could have held the release until the Tegra 4 was ready which probably would have only delayed the release by a couple of months.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post

It's called technology.
    I was just saying something, not to put the system down, but its something I really just thought of. His video he mentioned in the one I posted was just about it being behind when Tegra 4 comes out. I went further and talked about how theyll have to update the chips too. So, will the Ouya user update it as well, or have to just buy a Ouya 2.0/3.0 when that happens to keep up with the new Android games made? I really just wanted to post that video since he made it, and then I commented on the game looking better than on his tablet and how Bri's game didnt because she has a better one. Thinking of having to upgrade up through the Tegra's puts some things into perspective for me, and now I dont think I really want to go for this. Its made to be customizable, but when you have to flat out start replacing its own core chips, then it makes me think its not worth it. Maybe when they upgrade it with Tegra 4 and have more memory and other things in it, then itll be a better buy.

Plus Mad Katz is releasing their own Voodoo or something console. Good grief, maybe Google will be able to make the one people go to just because of their brand, but if that fails to find an audience then thats when its obvious this trend has run its course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I got one during the Kickstarter and while I haven't had time to really play it, I like what I see so far. It was a slow start but last I checked the menu is starting to flow with a decent variety of games. Last game I tried was I think "Wind Up Knight" which is a fun platform/puzzler.

I never planned on doing emulation on it as I have a modded Xbox for that. I see it as a gateway to indie console games that have the best of both the retro and the modern realms while bringing back the concept of the "garage developer".

The one real niggling thing I have is not against the system but the vocal detractors out there that just unzip and piss on the Ouya or even the concept. The mentality of a "game console" being this powerful device that plays games of 360 or PS3 caliber just irks me. It's like when I was in retail back in the early 90's: a person wants to buy a VCR and they see three on the shelf. They want the cheapest one but then wonders why it doesn't have the bells and whistles of the most expensive model and complains. When did people's expectations skyrocket? One can't get a 360 or PS3 for a hundred bones, what makes one think that tech is going to be shoved into a cube the size of two tins of black pepper?

I'm currently in a play with my local theater group which has consumed my free time as of late but after this weekend I'll spend more time on it to be able to give a more educated impression on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I love indie games as well, but I don't play them as often. Mainly because I don't enjoy playing on the computer as much as I used to. So this is great in that regard!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Dang....I've got this desire to snag another, a small HDMI monitor, arcade controls and build a bar top arcade setup. Small, cool and quiet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I swung by Target yesterday to see if they maybe had an Ouya that I can set up for my wife. I found the display but they were all sold out. Just two controllers were there.

That was neat to see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've never seen the system sold out before, well picked over, but not gone, but the controllers seem to go missing more since people will pick up at least one extra. The 2 Target's around here just have them on a low shelf in the gaming area near all the PC stuff and cheap or used last gen console games rack so they're visible. I Hope they keep developing it after the news over the last few months of them trying to fracture the market by making their own marketplace which is just a dumb bad idea with already googleplay, amazon, and even madcatz getting in on the racket since you can't cross share the stuff despite it all being on android.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

must be nice to see the Ouya in stores at all. It just isn't in Canada. I thought there was a chance when Target bought out Zellers, but nope.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Reading Rainbow Limited Edition Ouya (4 days left)

"Hey this is Bob.

Today we’re going to help bring Reading Rainbow back – and we’re going to have fun doing it! We’ve joined with four of the top-earning Kickstarter campaigns of all time to show our support for a super-special cause. We’re creating a READING RAINBOW LIMITED EDITION OUYA in wondrous sky blue! What’s more, LeVar Burton will sign the first 500 consoles personally before shipping to backers!"

https://www.ouya.tv/take-a-look-its-in-a-b-ouya/

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will probably download Fotonica later today, which is 50% off this weekend. It appears to be a first person endless runner that looks like Rez wireframe graphics. I was also astounded that Pier Solar HD is coming to Ouya before it comes to Xbox Live. Shocker.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.