Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you ready for next gen? PC hardware.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Are you ready for next gen? PC hardware.

Do you play PC games? PC and console? Is your current PC hardware already ready to play whatever comes out of next gen?

I prefer owning games so I don't mind as long as they have a stable 30fps. I'd rather play PC games at 60fps, but as long as there's no noticeable issues, doesn't matter to me. I use my PC mostly for older games but games that play like crap on the PS3, I'll buy them on PC. Dragon Age Origins is meant to be played on PC. The PS3 version has some pretty massive frame drops, regularly as low as 15fps, sometimes lower. One of the worst 360 to PS3 ports.

AMD A10 Quad Core
    Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 @ 1600

Specs for my PC would be overall more powerful than the PS4, but it's not a closed console. Is it actually more powerful?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I built a gaming PC about two years ago, and it worked real well for several years. Unfortunately, it's a bit underpowered for the most recent games that have been coming out. For example, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3 would all push my current PC to it's limits, and I'd likely have to lower my settings pretty dramatically to get it to run halfway decent.

(I'm rocking an i5 2600k and a 560 Ti gpu)

All this drama in the console world has me really wondering what I should do in regards to PC gaming and Console gaming. Normally, I've been a console gamer for the vast majority of my life. I have drifted over to PC gaming when console gaming got a bit stale, but normally when new consoles would come out, I'd jump back on the console bandwagon and allow my PC to gather dust. I can remember back to 1999. In early 1999 I was a hardcore PC gamer. I had a chance to attend the 1999 e3 show in LA, and the Dreamcast really blew me away. When the Dreamcast came out that September, I jumped back onto the console bandwagon, and didn't look back till mid 2010 when I decided to build a gaming PC for the first time in 13 years.

So fast forward to all this drama about the Microsoft Xbox One, and possible drama on the PS4, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Before all this used game thing started going nuts, I was planning on buying both a Xbox One and a PS4, and just allow my PC to collect dust. It would be the Dreamcast all over again. But now, after hearing all this bullcrap about how we won't be able to loan out our games, or rent games, or being able to sell games on Ebay and Craigslist, I'm wondering if I should double down on PC gaming, and upgrade my rig.

I'm just not sure what I'm going to do....

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While it may be perfectly fine for any who engage it in, I will never be interested in gaming on PC.

I've had nothing but terrible experiences every time I've ever attempted to have a "gaming PC" rig and I see no reason to ever try again.

I absolutely need to be able to purchase hardware and software with 100% plug-and-play capability and ZERO hardware/software scalablity.

I don't ever want to have a gaming machine that requires maintenance/modification of ram, graphics/sound cards, processors, OS, drivers, etc. at my own discretion and/or financial burden.

I want a gaming device that works exactly as it was intended to right out of the box with the only variables being the quality of my television and internet connection and any 3rd party controllers that I may opt to use.

But, that's just me.

Entirely my personal taste.

PC gamers, game on and more power to you.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I want a gaming device that works exactly as it was intended to right out of the box with the only variables being the quality of my television and internet connection and any 3rd party controllers that I may opt to use.
    So a Wii U is right out with that big honkin' download to get the advertised functionality when you strip the box and plastic off ?

I keed, I keed....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't do any PC gaming. As for consoles, I was ready for the next gen, but after Microsoft pulled a Sony, like most people I am now much less enthusiastic about gen 8. I'm still hoping that E3 will drastically turn things around for the better but if not I'll be sticking with my 360. Doesn't mean I won't eventually jump in to next gen but as of now I've seen nothing from any of the systems to make me want to become an early adopter.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

While it may be perfectly fine for any who engage it in, I will never be interested in gaming on PC.

I've had nothing but terrible experiences every time I've ever attempted to have a "gaming PC" rig and I see no reason to ever try again.

I absolutely need to be able to purchase hardware and software with 100% plug-and-play capability and ZERO hardware/software scalablity.

I don't ever want to have a gaming machine that requires maintenance/modification of ram, graphics/sound cards, processors, OS, drivers, etc. at my own discretion and/or financial burden.

But, that's just me.

Ditto one of the reason why ive stuck to console gaming,no fuss,no must.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

But, that's just me.

I play PC games but I don't upgrade my PCs just to play games, if a game is compatible with the PC I already have I'll play it. Plus more recently actual freeware games are getting better than commercial games.

Consoles haven't been completely plug-and-play since at least the N64, when you have to buy expansion paks to play certain games either at all or to use all features you might as well just use a PC. If you have to read the box to check for minimum requirements it's just as difficult to sort as actual PC games. Plus with more recent consoles having hard drives and requiring patches it's the same as just using a computer for games. At least with computers you can repair them yourself if they break down, with more recent consoles this actually becomes an issue. Consoles aren't durable anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The last time I built a PC intended specifically for gaming was back in 2005.

I'm still using it. And there are still new games I can play.

I can't play 'A list' games most of the time, but I still get surprised at how resilient its been. (Recently I discovered that it runs League of Legends pretty damn well)

That being said I'm desperate for an upgrade, so no. I'm not ready for the 'next gen'. But I sure want to be. PC Gaming will always trump inferior console gaming.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Consoles haven't been completely plug-and-play since at least the N64, when you have to buy expansion paks to play certain games either at all or to use all features you might as well just use a PC. If you have to read the box to check for minimum requirements it's just as difficult to sort as actual PC games. Plus with more recent consoles having hard drives and requiring patches it's the same as just using a computer for games. At least with computers you can repair them yourself if they break down, with more recent consoles this actually becomes an issue. Consoles aren't durable anymore.
    Don't bother trying to defend the qualities of PC gaming, I know why people prefer it and all the reasons why it's allegedly a superior experience.

I'm not claiming that it's inferior. For those that prefer it, I'm sure it is superior for all the options available.

However, this is my taste you're dealing with, you're not going to convince me otherwise. I know exactly what I don't like about PC gaming via first hand experience.

What matters to me is that there is zero scaling in each respective console in terms of ram, processors, CPU, etc. At. All.

A game looks/plays the same on my console as it does on anybody else's. That's almost never the case with a PC game. Exacting similarities in PCs with all of the variables considered are like similarities in snowflakes or fingerprints. There's just too much opportunity for scaling between computers.

If I buy a game for my Wii, it's going to work in my Wii exactly how it worked in your Wii exactly how it worked it the developer's Wii.

If I buy an official XBOX 360 controller, it's not going to potentially have driver/mapping issues with the new games that come out.

If I buy a PS3 game I don't have to check minimum ram requirements on the box.

The frame rate/draw distance on Battlefield 3 isn't going to be any different on my XBOX as it is on yours.

I'm never going to have to personally hunt for drivers or patches for old console games that I buy.

Sure there are some games that are designed specifically for unique hardware like Kinect, Move, Playstation Eye or Wii Motion Plus, but even in that case, there's no mystery as to how or WHETHER it will work if you make the investment in the required hardware, get it home and plug it in, boom! Yummy. Done. The same can not be said about additional PC hardware. Some controllers, cameras, drives, etc. may not be universally compatible.

Even in the event that a new console OS firmware update causes compatibility issues with a given game, based on the universality of console hardware it will be a universal experience for all users running that firmware and easy for developers to isolate and correct the issue with a patch to the game.

Historically for console games that require extra ram that wasn't on the cartridge hardware itself, there are only THREE N64 games that "require" the ram expansion pack and one of those three came with the necessary ram at retail. Even in the case of games that were "enhanced" by the ram pack there is only a 50/50 variance on scaling between that - what they look like with the pack in and what they look like without the pack in. All of that stuff was an awkward scenario that has never been repeated and likely never will with consoles.

And as far as finding some kind of joy in performing physical repairs on a PC myself? Sorry, no thank you. Me cracking open a PC is only going do result in more damage done. I'd likely just send it in/drop it off for repairs the same as I would for any console.

Again, I'm sure that PC is fantastic for all of the options and convenience that it provides. I LOVE my PC for doing absolutely everything else BUT gaming and I still occasionally have problems with drivers and hardware ... I like the peace of mind knowing that for gaming, which is my leisure hobby, that any instances of compatibility and scalability are absolutely minimized to near-zero on consoles.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 06-09-2013 at 09:19 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I am not ready for the next gen.

I have carpal tunnel syndrome and pronator teres syndrome in my left arm which makes holding a controller very uncomfortable, the right arm had 2 surgeries to correct the same issues last October. I havent been able to play any system for very more than a few minutes in over a year, I really miss it. I'm hoping work finally admits it was cause by the job and i can get the left arm operated on and be back to almost my old self....the pronator thing caused the removal of a large chunk of muscle from my right forearm and left a 7+" scar.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MASTERWEEDO View Post
    I am not ready for the next gen.

I have carpal tunnel syndrome and pronator teres syndrome in my left arm which makes holding a controller very uncomfortable, the right arm had 2 surgeries to correct the same issues last October. I havent been able to play any system for very more than a few minutes in over a year, I really miss it. I'm hoping work finally admits it was cause by the job and i can get the left arm operated on and be back to almost my old self....the pronator thing caused the removal of a large chunk of muscle from my right forearm and left a 7+" scar.
    Hope things work out the best for you.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

But, that's just me.

Exact same reasons I prefer console gaming over the PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    Exact same reasons I prefer console gaming over the PC.
    I love the tinkering. I'll always own a console for the plug and play aspect of things, but every so often something like Fallout 3 just cries out for a PC (disclosure, I have the PS3 and the PC version.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    I love the tinkering. I'll always own a console for the plug and play aspect of things, but every so often something like Fallout 3 just cries out for a PC (disclosure, I have the PS3 and the PC version.)

Yeah, the Fallout 3 mods were a big incentive for me to build my first gaming PC in many, many years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

I would say the specs you list are mid-range. I have an HD6950, i5 2400, and 16GB (overkill) of RAM (same frequency). It runs many games great (e.g Skyrim - highest settings (res, AA, etc.), 60 fps, BF3 highest, about 60 fps... both on 1920x1080 (on my 50" plasma) with vertical sync off), but struggles, for example, with Far Cry 3; I can't get 60fps on the highest resolution. In fact, the game runs best on medium (as I recall still less than 60 fps even not using the highest settings: res, AA, etc.).

I am 91% done with the plat on the ps3, and had just as much fun playing it on both platforms. I think I would actually give a slight edge to the PS3 version, because the trophies (for me) put it over-the-top.

Here is a comparison between that processor and mine: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...-AMD-A10-5800K

Incidentally, the review above states that the i5 2400 is better. I would guess that the "next gen" consoles are mid-range PC specs. Therefore, in two years they will be out of date, EXCEPT for the fact (as Frankie says) it is a closed system, and games can be tailored to each system. After all, they got BF3 to run on the ps3/360!

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Do you play PC games? PC and console? Is your current PC hardware already ready to play whatever comes out of next gen?

I prefer owning games so I don't mind as long as they have a stable 30fps. I'd rather play PC games at 60fps, but as long as there's no noticeable issues, doesn't matter to me. I use my PC mostly for older games but games that play like crap on the PS3, I'll buy them on PC. Dragon Age Origins is meant to be played on PC. The PS3 version has some pretty massive frame drops, regularly as low as 15fps, sometimes lower. One of the worst 360 to PS3 ports.

AMD A10 Quad Core
    Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 @ 1600

Specs for my PC would be overall more powerful than the PS4, but it's not a closed console. Is it actually more powerful?
    Last edited by Lucifersam1; 06-09-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

My system can handle just about anything I throw at it.

System Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
    Nvidia Drivers 320.14
    i5-2500K @ 4.7 Ghz
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW Overclocked 1106/1185
    Palit Sonic Edition GTX 460 (1024MB) Physx
    Asus P8Z68-V motherboard
    Coolermaster Hyper N520
    SanDisk Sata III 128 GB SSD (boot drive)
    OCZ Vertex +R2 Sata II 60 GB SSD
    OCZ Agility 3 Sata III 240 GB
    Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD
    8 gigs of Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 750 watt power-supply
    Turtle Beach Earforce X11 Headphones with DSS 7.1 surround
    Sound Blaster Recon3D "Fatal1ty Edition" sound card

I was running (2) GTX 460s (1024MB) in sli, but the VRAM was starting to become a limiting factor in performance at higher settings. I upgraded my Videocard to an EVGA GTX 670 FTW ($325) a couple of months ago and kept the second 460 for Physx. I plan on adding a second GTX 670 for sli.

Here's my PC running Far Cry 3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQCusXA7X9U

I plan to continue console gaming on my PS3 and 360 (plus the retro consoles) for at least another year or 2 after the PS4 and Xbone come out. The money would be better spent on a second graphics card. Once they've established a decent library of games, I'll likely pick up a PS4.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 06-09-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

yea i think it'll be PC gaming for me besides the WiiU for casual stuff...atleast untill sony and xbone pull their heads out of their asses and fix the problems they are creating, and only then if they are sub $250 systems.

i say sub $250 because with an extra $250 i could take my system:

AMD 960T quad + two unlocked (=6 yo) OCed to 3.5Ghz
    16 gigs of rams
    1.32Tb of space
    AMD 7870.

and make it more betters with a seccond video card, new mobo and processor.

i have a major bottleneck some where with the motherboard right now though, cant figure it out

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I've got a pretty meaty gaming pc that basically is ready for the next gen. I built it last year, and as such I currently have no reason to get an xbone or ps4 until the last guardian or the new metal gear hits.

I can run Crysis 3 at 60 fps on "high", but I'm thinking of getting a couple GeForce titans so I can push all settings at "ultra" (yes, I am that asshole).

Once I got a taste of this I couldn't go back, unless I lost my job

Tomb raider at 60fps? Yes please.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I'm not ready. At all. But I'm planning on building a new machine in the near future. My most recent computer was given to me, so I haven't put one together in maybe 10 years! Needless to say, everything is different now and I have a lot of reading to do. Or... Anyone want to spec something out for me? Shooting for, say, $700. And this is going in my family room for gaming and a HTPC, so it has to be silent (or nearly so) when we watch movies/TV. Not as worried about noise when gaming as I'll have a headset or the volume up higher. Don't need an OS or tuner.

I'll probably just cobble something together as good deals come along on Slickdeals or when I finally get the itch bad enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I love the "tinkering" aspect of PC gaming too. I've always enjoyed taking computers apart, putting them back together, switching components, etc. That being said, modern PC gaming isn't much like it's being described in this thread. With a decent rig, it's just as "plug and play" as consoles. I really don't see the difference between clicking the left mouse button for a Nvidia driver update or pushing the "X" button for a 360 game update. The advent of Steam and the ubiquity of the 360 controller have blurred the line further. Even modding has become as easy as downloading the mod in a mod loader and clicking a box. I really don't see how any of this is difficult or annoying...especially because the end result is so worth it.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)