In his weekly column, writer Bob Mackey will alternate between two of his passions: the Japanese RPG genre and classic games. This week, Bob returns to the world of Monster Hunter.
Since I don't play MMOs, it's a rare occasion to see the timer on any of my games roll past that magical 99:59 mark. Still, it's happened more times than I'd like to admit; whenever an especially deep or content-rich RPG hits me during a particularly inactive time in my life, I'll focus on it and it alone. Since I've chosen a career path laden with vast periods of inactivity, RPGs Fallout 3, the Persona and Dragon Quest franchises, and Dark Souls have done a fine job of soaking up free time that would have otherwise gone to waste on frequent power naps or community service.

Chalk it up to fate if you want, but Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate found me in the familiar condition of "nothing better to do," and for the past six weeks, Capcom's hardcore action-RPG has given me a whole new set of complex mechanics and arcana to obsess over with thousands of my fellow monster-hunting fans. Now that I've reached that monumental 100-hour mark, it's time to ask myself one question: Did I invest my time wisely?

Short answer: no, but I'll save regrets over playing too many video games for my death bed.Gallery: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (1/17/13)

Continue reading Powering beyond 100 hours in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Powering beyond 100 hours in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate originally appeared on Joystiq on Wed, 15 May 2013 16:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments