Thread: Classic Gaming Japanese-Only Super Thread!

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Default Classic Gaming Japanese-Only Super Thread!

The premise of this thread is simple but very helpful: post in this thread the best or just any good japanese exclusive games for classic systems. Here in the west we missed out on some kick-ass titles and here we should compile all of the japanese only titles we love for classic systems (classic meaning pre-PS2). Improved ports are acceptable (same game title but changes in the Japanese version). This will provide a larger database with all of our favorites!

I can already think of Kid Dracula and Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti for the Famicom that never made it to North America.
    I am known as Theretrogamer12345 on Youtube and Sega-16. I am known as Gunstar Hero on Digital Press. My eBay account is Theretrogamer

[YouTube Link] [eBay Link] [Digital Press Link] [Sega-16 Link]

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gekisha Boy (Photo Boy) by IREM for the PC Engine is one of the most if not THE most original game on the system and one of my personal favorites. The amount of creativity and variety level design REALLY puts this one up there for me and I highly reccomend checking it out, along with its PS2 sequel, which was also a launch title.

Neither game made it over here, but they're both super easy to pick up and play. The litte text that there is does have an english translation for the first and FAQs are available for the sequel. The only thing we got even slightly similar was "Nicktoons: Freeze Frame Frenzy" for the GameBoy Advance, which thoroughly maimed everything that made Gekibo good. Howeve, I grew up with the game and owe my discovery of Gekibo to it, so I suppose I don't hate the game completely.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 02-17-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sin and Punishment on the N64 is a great rail shooter, I dont know why Nintendo didnt release it in America though, America was shooter crazy and still is, they released the sequel on the Wii later though.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

FYI, we already have the Import-Mania forum section for stuff like this. And you can find topics by system, which makes the information a lot more useful and organized than a free-for-all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Way too many to name all, but here's a few. At the risk of looking like a self-plugger, here are reviews of 3 Japanese exclusives I've reviewed that are worth checking out:

The Scheme (PC-8801) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qaUwx5gQ8g
    Relics (PC-8801/Sharp X68000) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qaUwx5gQ8g
    Tokkyuu Shirei Solbrain (Famicom): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OflV-bMn-eY (Slightly different US version called Shatterhand).

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PS1- Lord of Fist (was going to have a US release as 'Shaolin' but got canned), Klaymen Klaymen, Klaymen Gun Hockey, Extra Bright, Night Raid, Cowboy Bebop, Gamera 2000, Tatsunoko Fight, KIyuuin, Harmful Park, Mad Panic Coaster, Adventures of Little Ralph, and like 500 other titles I cant think of.....