Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Edge reports durango to block used games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post

Whether next-gen consoles prevent playing used games or not is out of my control. I collect video games for a hobby and have little interest in renting digital content. If the next-gen marks the end of owning video games, then I'll just be grateful that I lived through a different gaming era and appreciate my collection of retro games all the more.
    Thats the one thing I am have a feeling our generation will be known for we saw the collapse of physical media. From records to 8 tracks to cassette tapes to CD's. From reel to reel to Beta to VHS to DVD to Blu Ray Carts to once again CD and DVD and Blu Ray game media and all the quirks in the middle such as Mini discs HD DVD Super VHS Laser Discs and so on.

When we leave this world it will be I imagine all digitally downloaded and uploaded on smart devices whether that can be a cell phone to tv's.

Kinda depressing when ya think about it and look back to that day you watched your first owned VHS tape that you bought for yourself (mine happened to be THE CROW) and so on.

Times are changing and is it for the best. I guess we will never know for certain really

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My feeling on the whole topic boils down to this:

I will not be told how, where, and when I play my games.

That means if it requires a persistent online connection or blocks used or borrowed games, it's a deal-breaker for me, and I absolutely will not buy the console.

As someone said earlier, what if XBL or PSN goes down, or my ISP is having issues? If the console requires a constant connection to play, I'm screwed.
    What happens to these consoles 10-15 years from now? Will they even be usable?

That being said, I think we all need to hold judgement until after the consoles are revealed and details about how they function are known. Until then, we're all getting worked up for nothing.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by zakthedodo View Post
    I don't understand why you wouldn't make a system as user friendly as possible.

I think it was Sony a few years back that tried to make rip protected CD's.
    So you buy the music, but can't rip it to your collection to put on your MP3 player without a code or something.
    It didn't last very long.
    Velvet Revolver's first album had this, but there was a hidden folder in the disc where you could still copy and paste the songs onto your computer drag and drop style. Windows Media Player wouldn't import it like a normal cd. I think when iTunes came out that circumvented it and allowed people to rip it the normal way though, as iTunes isn't programmed to lock that stuff out. Those cds were out in 2004 and 2005 and the big iPod boom was somewhere around late 2005 or 2006 when the whole Guitar Hero/Rock Band craze was in full effect.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

This goofball is not happy about it. But he makes excellent points.

The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

A real life Elf! Who'd a thunk?

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Hug your carts and your disc cases and reminisce about the good ol days.
    Honestly though I could see a drive for the online pass thing like some already do. But to require an always on, one time use activation code on a console is ludicrous. Though I suppose XBLA and the downloadable full retail games Sony, Microsoft and even now Nintendo offer are harbingers of the future. I don't want any part of a future like that. I foresee the likelihood of not playing used games (without paying some kind of fee for an activation code) far more likely than a requirement for an always on connection. Not even iOS makes you do that.

Doesn't mean I want that to be the future though as it will kill the future generations of collectors for these systems. Makes me kinda sad really for our kids. They won't get to rediscover what they enjoyed as kids the way we can. Of course all of this is still purely speculation still as no official word exists that either the PS4 or the NextBox will have all these "features" that I am aware of.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post

I honestly think that guy is a complete tard but for once he makes some valid points.

I think the only solution to the whole thing is Cloud which tech companies are pushing like mad these days. I don't trust it and i am sure i am not alone with that feeling.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

This guy....he generally makes decent points in his videos, he just presents them in amazingly childish ways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Didn't feel like making another thread but here's another rumored report stating the PS4 will cost more than $400.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Didn't feel like making another thread but here's another rumored report stating the PS4 will cost more than $400.
    Um, this is the Durango thread.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

$499 US dollars?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Um, this is the Durango thread.
    Yes but we already have enough Durango and Orbis rumor threads. So I chose to put it here instead of bumping the older thread.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    $499 US dollars?
    Not quite that much according to the report. But remember that it's just a rumored price based on what the Japanese price(also rumored) is going to be. Sony learned alot of hard lessons last gen so theres no way they would price that high again.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    Hug your carts and your disc cases and reminisce about the good ol days.
    Honestly though I could see a drive for the online pass thing like some already do. But to require an always on, one time use activation code on a console is ludicrous. Though I suppose XBLA and the downloadable full retail games Sony, Microsoft and even now Nintendo offer are harbingers of the future. I don't want any part of a future like that. I foresee the likelihood of not playing used games (without paying some kind of fee for an activation code) far more likely than a requirement for an always on connection. Not even iOS makes you do that.

Doesn't mean I want that to be the future though as it will kill the future generations of collectors for these systems. Makes me kinda sad really for our kids. They won't get to rediscover what they enjoyed as kids the way we can. Of course all of this is still purely speculation still as no official word exists that either the PS4 or the NextBox will have all these "features" that I am aware of.
    Look, I can't sit here and tell MS, Sony how to run their business to suit collectors like me. My thing continues to be the foolishness or not allowing particularly kids to buy used games on the cheap, or trade games among friends. This goes against 35 years of video game culture. Not to mention is just asks for piracy.

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    This guy....he generally makes decent points in his videos, he just presents them in amazingly childish ways.
    Yeah he's a little too WWE, although I have to give him credit for spewing so much in such a short video! His game purchase videos are usually all I watch of his.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Look, I can't sit here and tell MS, Sony how to run their business to suit collectors like me. My thing continues to be the foolishness or not allowing particularly kids to buy used games on the cheap, or trade games among friends. This goes against 35 years of video game culture. Not to mention is just asks for piracy.
    It's even worse than that. There's no preservation with this model. Once those servers go down, you're done. The online only games cannot be played anymore unless someone sets up a private server or hacks the console. We've speculated that this next gen would be downloaded games only, but it was verified that the next gen consoles will have blu-ray players. Problem is, whats the point of owning the disc, when all you need is a code that unlocks the game? Diablo III sits on my shelf as a useless coaster. I hated the game, but I can't:

1. Trade it in for something else.
    2. Sell it on eBay without also giving my entire battle.net account.
    3. Lend it to my friend to try and play for awhile.

I never thought I would say this, but my days of current gen console gaming are coming to an end if this is implemented. I like digital downloads; I like steam. But having a console and having it offer disks that are completely useless except for shelf displays goes beyond the boundaries of what I personally want as a gaming consumer. I'll stick with steam and humble bundle and just skip the next generation of consoles, and probably the next one after that. My consoles will be everything from the past 8 generations that I have more than enough to last me my entire lifetime.
    Last edited by Zthun; 02-10-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

This is what I was thinking at first but honestly the used game thing doesn't kill it for me. Now if the next gen systems ONLY played digital games and they were still $50-$60 on release then yes I would stick with my PS3/360/Wii.

I know alot of people are complaning about this but you know that alot of them would still buy it anyway. I mean it's already happening this gen. All of Sony's first party games for the last two years have required online passes for the multiplayer and the same thing can be said about EA's games. Yet this has not slowed down sales of Uncharted, Madden, Battlefield, etc. I personally buy most of my games new but I definitely enjoy buying games used at yard sales and flea markets too. I may not like it if Microsoft and Sony did this with all their games(especially since I play alot of online multiplayer) but it's something that people would just have to get used to. But it's not going to kill off console gaming over night and I also doubt it will send waves of people flocking to the WiiU.
    I didn't buy Uncharted 3 to play the tacked on multiplayer content. I did buy games like Black Ops II for multiplayer though, but waiting for a used copy to show up cheap really puts you behind in the game; it's one of those titles that you're better off playing online on day one, or you'll end up being outclassed on the battlefield by players with all of the added gear.

I have a couple of older Xbox Live games that won't function without being online. The arcade game of TRON, won't work without being logged in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    I have a couple of older Xbox Live games that won't function without being online. The arcade game of TRON, won't work without being logged in.
    That's no fault of the games themselves. Your licenses simply aren't tied to your current console. Reassociate them by doing the license transfer process and you will restore offline access.

Tron and Disc of Tron work just fine for me offline.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    That's no fault of the games themselves. Your licenses simply aren't tied to your current console. Reassociate them by doing the license transfer process and you will restore offline access.

Tron and Disc of Tron work just fine for me offline.
    I don't know why, I've done that when my 360 Elite had the RROD. Discs of Tron just doesn't seem to work out for me. All of the other downloaded games work fine while I'm offline.

And yes, I did download the title again, after doing the license transfer.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 02-10-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

those specs on paper are pretty weak, they better change before they release otherwise they will be hurting for horsepower

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    It's even worse than that. There's no preservation with this model. Once those servers go down, you're done. They online only games cannot be played anymore unless someone sets up a private server or hacks the console. We've speculated that this next gen would be downloaded games only, but it was verified that the next gen consoles will have blu-ray players. Problem is, whats the point of owning the disc, when all you need is a code that unlocks the game? Diablo III sits on my shelf as a useless coaster. I hated the game, but I can't:

1. Trade it in for something else.
    2. Sell it on eBay without also giving my entire battle.net account.
    3. Lend it to my friend to try and play for awhile.

I never thought I would say this, but my days of current gen console gaming are coming to an end if this is implemented. I like digital downloads; I like steam. But having a console and having it offer disks that are completely useless except for shelf displays goes beyond the boundaries of what I personally want as a gaming consumer. I'll stick with steam and humble bundle and just skip the next generation of consoles, and probably the next one after that. My consoles will be everything from the past 8 generations that I have more than enough to last me my entire lifetime.
    Yes I think the worst scenario is a physical media that ONLY works on your machine. That is the dumbest business model of all. If I were MS or Sony, I would begin offering people the choice, physical or digital, like the movie studios have been. I think flipping everything over in one big swoop is too much of a shock to the consumer system. People get crazy when there's big change like that. Look, Blu Ray's are still sold, many specifically to collectors. Why not do the same with games in the future? The physical copies cost them a couple bucks to make, they sell for $50 or $60, and money is made. Not to mention it is incredibly arrogant for MS/Sony to expect everyone to have high speed internet.

However, to expect that this change is not going to take place is fooling yourselves. The hardware, even on an iPad, is getting to the point where it's all going to be plenty capable of running any game there is. At that point, the console makers are out of business. Now I always thought that MS would make their next platform Windows compatible, allowing customers to play games on devices like the Surface or their PC's. Sure it hurts the Xbox, but it keeps them Microsoft aligned gamers. Sony and Nintendo are in far worse position, I think. I mean, the whole point of a console was that it was too expensive to buy a PC, and smaller cheaper devices didn't exist or weren't powerful enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about this idea. Maybe Microsoft isn't killing used games all together. We all know about online passes and how they function. Maybe this one time use activation code can be generated at a store like gamestop just like how they generate activation codes and other dlc. Maybe Microsoft will build a contract with gamestop to publish new paid for activation codes on your receipt when you buy a used game. I really don't think Microsoft can really thrive by eliminating the #1 retailer in the world for games and consoles. Microsoft would loose a huge chunk of system sales by doing this also because gamestop then wouldn't sell the new console. They also wouldn't just eliminate the number of console sales but sales like dlc, Microsoft points, and every other accessory for the system like headsets and controllers. Sure you can go else where to buy but you can't beat the availability of a gamestop on every corner.

Lastly I think that edge report generated their own suspicion on used games by the always on Internet. My thought of this was all for piracy. To constantly have a check on your console and immediate eliminate any threat of a mod. This is just an advancement that future technology brings. Company's now always want to know what your doing at all times. It's simple marketing.

This was just my thoughts on this situation. My final opinion though is that the chances of no more used games is slim to none.