Thread: Saturn v1 region mod/power problems?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Saturn v1 region mod/power problems?

Hey guys,
    I recently acquired a second Saturn and the disc drive wasn't working on it. When I opened the system, I found the ribbon cable was completely disconnected from the drive. It also had bug parts so I took the whole thing apart and cleaned all the parts. I decided I might as well region switch mod the thing while I was at it so I wouldn't have to disassemble it twice. However, when I got it all back together, it no longer powered on and instead had the blinking power LED problem, which I've read is a problem with the power supply board. Prior to my disassembly however, it powered on fine; it just didn't read discs.

My question is, do you think I could have caused the power board to short out if I connected the region switch wrong? The fuse looks fine. I'm hoping for the outside chance the power board just happened to go bad because from what I can see it's fairly easy just to buy a new one.

It's a model 1 Saturn, and I just installed the switch to go from USA to JP. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Unless the fuse is one of those ones with a transparent window that you can tell it's blown just by looking at it, I wouldn't trust just looking at it. Try a continuity check on the fuse with a multimeter.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it an early model 1? The early ones have a top mounted power supply, the later ones are more like the model 2. I ask because the early ones don't give much workroom near the connector, maybe something on that end is damaged. BTW I have a spare model 1 power supply from a system that I gutted for the parts. Let me know if you end up needing it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fuse looks and tests good. (Without it I wouldn't be getting any power anyway.) When I power it on, I get about half the listed voltage on the pins connecting the power board to the main board, and they spike from ~0 to half listed in time with the LED flashes. I guess the next thing to do is make sure the region mod isn't somehow causing it. After that I guess I will see about getting a new power board.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-01-14 23.03.11.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	6124

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, the region switch was the culprit. I took it out and just hardwired the system to play Japanese games. Now it powers on fine.
    However, the access light blinks constantly, which I'm assuming to be a spindle motor problem. I plugged the ribbon cable back in and the laser moves when the drive door sensor is closed, so I'm assuming the ribbon cable is good.
    I guess my question now is, if the drive motor is bad, does anyone have another one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

A model 1 will have the light flash constantly because it is designed to do that.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Quote Originally Posted by Chupperson View Post
    However, the access light blinks constantly
    As APE said, this is normal behavior for a model 1, especially if the game you have in there has CD tracks for the background music. What you're seeing is the CD track being played.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suppose I wasn't clear in the fact that it blinks and does not read anything. The drive doesn't spin.
    However, that's mostly irrelevant now because another Saturn 1 (with a functional drive) basically fell into my lap.

In case anyone's interested, the information for the region mod on gamesx is not quite correct. I had to use the jumper info from the pictures that "only apply to the HiSaturn Navi" on my Saturn 1 to install the region switch successfully. So that jumper arrangement made it through to at least one American motherboard revision.