Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Bad Games? Do you know of any?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JoystickUnicorn View Post
    hey, I know what you mean, I was so excited to pick the original up for just that reason...for me it was the gameplay...that and the thing that kept bursting out the front of my character's skull
    Ok, I guess since I downloaded a japanese verison of it for ps1 then I should check it out now. I was waiting ot see if i could find an english one, but i dont want to get dosbox and then buy it for $5.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really like some games on the Jaguar that seem to be universally panned. Zool 2 is one of my favorite games for it, and one of my favorite platformers of all time, and it usually gets a lot of hate.

Club Drive I can understand. It's visuals are horrendous, but the underlying gameplay is creative enough to keep messing with it.

I also really like Toki on every platform - including arcade - that I can get it on. It's made stupidly hard for the arcade, yet I really like it.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Madden 99 on N64 is not considered good but I love it. I also like a bunch of sports games on Genesis that not everyone likes.
    I am known as Theretrogamer12345 on Youtube and Sega-16. I am known as Gunstar Hero on Digital Press. My eBay account is Theretrogamer

[YouTube Link] [eBay Link] [Digital Press Link] [Sega-16 Link]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Yo Noid! is a great game. It was one of my favorites as a kid.
    I didn't even know people thought of Yo Noid! as a bad game, I love it!
    I am known as Theretrogamer12345 on Youtube and Sega-16. I am known as Gunstar Hero on Digital Press. My eBay account is Theretrogamer

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstar Hero View Post
    I didn't even know people thought of Yo Noid! as a bad game, I love it!
    I don't think it was a fad to dis that particular game until Irate Gamer did it publicly. Everyone else who got on the bandwagon are fans of his.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I don't think it was a fad to dis that particular game until Irate Gamer did it publicly. Everyone else who got on the bandwagon are fans of his.
    That game has been panned for years. Who is irate gamer?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    That game has been panned for years. Who is irate gamer?
    Another Nintendo Nerd ripoff, obviously. When I say ripoff I'm serious. He copies a lot of James' stuff word for word. While he does it though it's just not funny. He tries too hard.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-17-2012 at 04:41 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Who is irate gamer?
    A "professional" ghost hunter. I'm not even kidding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlabfIO71Yg

As for Yo Noid!, I hated it after a few minutes of playing it. I didn't watch any reviews of it until years later.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I saw some other videos about Noid before I saw the Irate video on it. That dude creeps me out for some reason, and the AVGN stuff he does just makes him seem creepier. I liked his normal reviews of Mortal Kombat and Marvel vs Capcom. Wish hed just do that kind of reviewing. I dont get why the hate for him is so big though.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    A "professional" ghost hunter. I'm not even kidding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlabfIO71Yg

As for Yo Noid!, I hated it after a few minutes of playing it. I didn't watch any reviews of it until years later.
    So he's some dude who is a ripoff of another lame youtube game reviewer? And rips off Ghosthunters as well? And people watch it?

Back on topic, Battle Monsters on Saturn is another "so bad it's good" game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second Crusin' USA and Virtual Hydlide. I often find myself checking out stuff that the AVGN has reviewed and a lot of the time, I end up enjoying it. Like Friday The 13th or the Crazy Castle series. I also like Atari Pac-Man, if only because it was the first version I ever played as a youn'n.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    I dont get why the hate for him is so big though.
    When some of his material is copied word for word from the very person who influenced him into doing these videos. That's why so many people hate him. He's an unoriginal hack.

No one has a problem with other people using that style to bash games. There are hundreds of other reviewers who do so now, many of them being as well known as James, but these people don't just rip off another user. It's like when you see a stand up comedian rip off another comedian, no matter how far into the future it is, that comedian will receive a ton of backlash from fans. James has started getting away from trying to be so funny and actually puts a greater emphasis on his reviews now, but the reason for the comedian comment is because that's what these videos are. That's why people don't hate every single angry reviewer that comes along as they all have their own style. Except for a few like Irate Gamer who rips off others.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    I also like Atari Pac-Man, if only because it was the first version I ever played as a youn'n.
    I like Atari Pac-Man too! I don't know why though, I think it is just rare for me to play vintage and classic games I don't enjoy, as even if they aren't good I still get a good laugh at them. Seriously though I've maybe found 2 Genesis games I didn't like. I love Joe Montanna Football on Genesis. 'Nough said.

Edit: Is anyone else like this? I guess I really am just easily amused by everything in life come to think of it. Maybe that's why I love all these old games so much
    Last edited by Gunstar Hero; 11-18-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alone in the Dark 2: One Eye'd Jack's Revenge.

This game is the Troll 2 of video games. The plot, acting, and game play are so bad it's funny. Actually it's hilarious.

My favorite moment includes beating up a drunk man in his underwear (who may or may not be flirting with you), to steal his Santa Claus suit, so that you can wear it and enter the mansion of immortal pirates undetected. They don't mind you if they think you are Santa.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carnby View Post
    Alone in the Dark 2: One Eye'd Jack's Revenge.

This game is the Troll 2 of video games. The plot, acting, and game play are so bad it's funny. Actually it's hilarious.

My favorite moment includes beating up a drunk man in his underwear (who may or may not be flirting with you), to steal his Santa Claus suit, so that you can wear it and enter the mansion of immortal pirates undetected. They don't mind you if they think you are Santa.
    HAHA! Glad you know what Troll 2 really is. Sounds good. I didnt have any interest in playing the first game, but this seems good.

Ill play with my thoughts on most of the suggested games today and reply with what I think.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I used to love the 32X version of Night Trap, and it's HORRIBLE.

I also really liked The Hoard. I had the 3DO version. It was actually a wonderful little tower defense style game (I believe that's the genre), but the story and cut scenes featuring Kurt Cameron were ABYSMAL. Just terrible.

Last Alert and Final Zone II on the Turbo Grafx CD have the most amazingly bad dialog during the MANY cut scenes through out the game. I fucking LOVE these games. LOVE them.

Way of the Warrior for 3DO...JESUS CHRIST.

Mickey is and old arcade game that you can play on MAME. It's basically just about a kid who's an asshole, and disrupts class by knocking the other students out of their chairs with her ass. If the teacher see your doing it be comes after you, and I be leave you head butt the shit out of him and drop him to his knees. The controls are also horrible.

Alex Kidd the Lost Stars for the SEGA Master System is pretty bad, but I like it. It's sort of like an like an H.R. Pufnstuf platform game starring Alex Kidd.

Alex Kidd: High Tech World for the Master System is also pretty horrible, but it just so weird with the whole role play story portion that I can't help but love it.

Thunderforce II is a mess of a shooter with alternating overhead and sidescrolling levels. The overhead levels are God awful with HORRIBLE controls, and the digital Japanese voice that says what your weapon upgrades are is LAUGHABLE terrible. GO! (translation: Claw) LOOOORD! (Translation: Roll), but I really enjoy this game.

Syd of Valis is a super deformed version of Valis 2 for Genesis. It's completely weird in that it's got insane ramps in the difficulty where it goes from a 1 to a 10 and then back down to a 1 again all through out the game. The story and cut scene are all gibberish, and the flicker and poor controls are awful. I absolutely love the game though because it's so bizarre, and weirdly pedophilic. Some of the outfits are creepily racy for a cute little super deformed child to wear. I have no idea who this game is meant for. Actually, no. I do..the Japanese. I just don't know how it made it Stateside.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    That's why people don't hate every single angry reviewer that comes along as they all have their own style. Except for a few like Irate Gamer who rips off others.
    I don't care for any of them. A bunch of corny dorks who get drunk, play a terrible game, and think they are funny because they spew profanity at it. I've only cared to watch a few youtube videogame videos like Game Sack and Mark from CGR. People who actually review a game instead of trying to be something they're not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Clayfighter 63 1/3 (N64) and Road Avenger (Mega CD) were always strangely enjoyable. Actually, a lot of the N64's bad games (Superman etc) are worth a look. There is something wonderful about seeing just how horrible they are.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about Dark Castle on Genesis? That game is hilariously bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a handful I thought of. All terrible, but alluring for one reason or another. For some its the graphics, for others the pure ridiculousness of it all. Some I actually like to play quite a bit:

NES:
    Amagon
    Captain Skyhawk
    Clash at Demonhead
    Golgo 13
    Ikari Warriors

TG16:
    China Warrior
    Veigues Tactical Gladiator

Sega CD:
    Sol Feace
    Silpheed