Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JVC X'Eye HEEELLLLLLP!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    Actually both the top loader and SNES mini kick ass once they're properly modded. The Genesis 3 is OK for what it is.
    Agreed... though I really can't see cutting and soldering around on something rare, but that's just me. Oh and the Gen 3 with the proper mods can actually use a scart connection and have stereo sound if one were so inclined to take the time to do it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By the way, one of you guys should really buy these and fix them as it would be the bees knees!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300771315831...84.m1423.l2649

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zebular View Post
    Agreed... though I really can't see cutting and soldering around on something rare, but that's just me. Oh and the Gen 3 with the proper mods can actually use a scart connection and have stereo sound if one were so inclined to take the time to do it.
    The Genesis 3 actually has RGB out of the box but of course it still needs a mod for proper stereo. I don't really see the top loader or SNES mini as being all that rare, I see them for sale all the time and I think I've lost count of how many of each I've worked on so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by zebular View Post
    By the way, one of you guys should really buy these and fix them as it would be the bees knees!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300771315831...84.m1423.l2649
    Sounds like they'd both be pretty easy fixes but I'm not about to drop that much money on two. Maybe $100 for both.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Genesis 3 actually has RGB out of the box but of course it still needs a mod for proper stereo. I don't really see the top loader or SNES mini as being all that rare, I see them for sale all the time and I think I've lost count of how many of each I've worked on so far.
    Oh I know they aren't "rare" but you are more likely to see the model 1 over the mini. Plus I didn't have a mini as a kid so that's why I bought one now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, I was popping through this thread and noticed something rather horrifying to me. I got an X'Eye via Amazon when all my Sega CDs turned up dead (see my other thread) after being pulled from storage.

the X'Eye however came with a Genesis 2 PSU. I suppose I should be trying to find something more appropriate so I don't fry something inside the system, if I'm reading the above properly.

Anybody in this thread know where I can find something appropriate? Would it be a good idea to find a universal one with the proper tip from Radio Shack?

I do have a pair of Naki multi-adapters that Gamestop sold back when they carried retro game stuff that have a SNES, Genesis 1, and Genesis 2 connector. it outputs 9V 1A, so I may have just answered my own question but anyway. YEah.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

STOP. Unplug immediately unless we find real confirmation 1A is fine for its health. Official X'Eye adapter has identical output rating to CDX...
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, Claw. Fortunately nothing is plugged up because I wanted to re-read before I plugged it back in. And I saw that it was a 1.5 amp connection so yeah.

But on an odd note I happen to have a Radioshack universal adapter with a proper barrel connector to fit the system that outputs 9V, 1500mA(1.5A). I think that should work, yes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sparf View Post
    But on an odd note I happen to have a Radioshack universal adapter with a proper barrel connector to fit the system that outputs 9V, 1500mA(1.5A). I think that should work, yes?
    If the polarity is the same (tip positive), yes.
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Apollo.

Unfortunately I realize that it won't work. I looked at the back and it requires 9.5 volts. My adapter, though a 1500mA adapter, is only a 9v. So, off to RadioShack I go to fetch something that is compatible.

I know that using something way over voltage is a problem, but how would a 10v adapter be for my purposes?

Update! People on Youtube are using the very power supply that I have (the 9v, 1500mA one) to power their X'Eye systems and yet mine does not power on properly. The polarity is correct, and the voltage is high enough. Could it be a problem with the current draw not being high enough due to the power supply perhaps degrading? OR could it be that there's already been damage done to the X'Eye from people using inappropriate power supplies over god-knows-how-long?
    Last edited by sparf; 09-24-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sparf View Post

Unfortunately I realize that it won't work. I looked at the back and it requires 9.5 volts. My adapter, though a 1500mA adapter, is only a 9v. So, off to RadioShack I go to fetch something that is compatible.

I know that using something way over voltage is a problem, but how would a 10v adapter be for my purposes?
    It doesn't matter if it's not exactly 9.5V, as long as it isn't over 12V or under 7.5V it should work fine.
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It doesn't matter if it's not exactly 9.5V, as long as it isn't over 12V or under 7.5V it should work fine.
    Unfortunately, I tried it. It doesn't power the system on. I don't know exactly what's going on there unless it has somehow deteriorated or become damaged, but I would think that would affect the voltage reading too, at least. Any thoughts?

Ultimately I've ordered a CDX power supply so it won't matter much n the end but I'm tired of random mysteries popping up every time I try to do anything.