Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8-bit to 16-bit Wrestling Games: the good, the bad, and M.U.S.C.L.E.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I guess I didn't know better as a kid but I ended up with Tag Team Wrestling and even finished it. I never really hated the game but I was not ever super hyped about it either but I don't think it deserves to be called bad. Sure you were stuck with very limited wrestler options but the move sets were kind of cool as was the ability out of the wring to beat the crap out of someone using a chair or running them over to the poll and skull cracking them on it.

Later (latter part of the 90s) I ended up with Pro Wrestling which is really fun and gave a lot more choices.

I have been curious about the Natsume wrestler and Slamasters from Capcom but never tried them.

I also have a prototype of WWF Wrestlemania for GB, interesting game with a good little roster of wrestlers, not sure if my copy is a final test or not as I don't have the original and barely fire it up as I don't want it to croak. I'd be more inclined to sell it than store it.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
    I have to believe some of the developers that created Pro Wrestling moved on to Human/Spike. You can see the same animations when you pick up your opponent after they're close to being beaten, within the Fire Pro series.

I actually enjoyed In your House as well as Wrestlemania Arcade. I know some really hated that one, but I thought the power-ups and hindrance items added a layer of strategy.
    Yes, you are correct.

Masato Masuda was the lone programmer on Pro Wrestling for Famicom/NES and he also worked on the Fire Pro series in its earliest incarnations.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
    I have to believe some of the developers that created Pro Wrestling moved on to Human/Spike. You can see the same animations when you pick up your opponent after they're close to being beaten, within the Fire Pro series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Yes, you are correct.

Masato Masuda was the lone programmer on Pro Wrestling for Famicom/NES and he also worked on the Fire Pro series in its earliest incarnations.
    Cool, I've long had the same thought, good to hear it is indeed true!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I do not recall anything really outstanding in the 8-16bit era to be honest maybe in the arcade WWF Wrestlefest-(in Royal Rumble),the only home wrestling games i played at home with any playability were on the N64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Other than the final Fire Pro release on SNES, the finest wrestling game one can play on SNES IMO is Zen Nippon Pro Wrestling Budokan. It's simply ace

http://rvgfanatic.com/6501/62522.html

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

WWF King of the Ring on the NES was so bad, no one even remembers it in this thread. Priceless. It easily had some of the more painful sprite work on the hardware. Hilariously underdetailed and a mass of lines and color. Gameplay was simply atrocious too.

I liked most of the LJN 16-bit games, beginning with Royal Rumble. The underrated Rage in the Cage on Sega CD is awesome. Great voice work that sold that era of the WWF. I could do without the "computer wins when it wants to" button mashing grapple system, but those games had a great move set.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    I liked most of the LJN 16-bit games, beginning with Royal Rumble. The underrated Rage in the Cage on Sega CD is awesome. Great voice work that sold that era of the WWF. I could do without the "computer wins when it wants to" button mashing grapple system, but those games had a great move set.
    Best part of Rage In the Cage was the gibberish Fatu would yell before each match he was in. BABOO! EEECHACHACHA! EEE-EEE! YAH! YAH!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Anybody remember Wrestle War for the Megadrive? Not stellar, but not horrible either. It's most distinguishing features were the blatant ripoffs of popular wrestlers (including Hulk Hogan on the cover), blah gameplay, and title screen audio; some obnoxious guy yelling "Welcome toooooo Wrestleeeeeeee War!"

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksmoor View Post
    Anybody remember Wrestle War for the Megadrive? Not stellar, but not horrible either. It's most distinguishing features were the blatant ripoffs of popular wrestlers (including Hulk Hogan on the cover), blah gameplay, and title screen audio; some obnoxious guy yelling "Welcome toooooo Wrestleeeeeeee War!"

Yeah, it's very good for a 16 bit game, huge sprites, but the camera angle changing can be jarring.

Sad that Sega didn't bring it to the US, the Genesis could have done with a 1st party wrestling title during that era. Glad they threw it on some of the Genesis collections.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    WWF King of the Ring on the NES was so bad, no one even remembers it in this thread.
    I had it, I liked it better than Wrestlemania for the NES but that's not really saying much. I remember trying both King of the Ring and Wrestlemania in a game store to pick one of them as I wanted a wrestling game at the time, I didn't know about rarity at the time so I went with the game I liked to play more. I later sold it because I never really played it at home.

Insert Coin (Level 0) EricThaDead's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a short video of Toukon Club, since nobody else has even mentioned it and I clearly didn't talk it up enough lol. Ignore my terrible playing, I was trying to to figure out a crazy corkscrew top rope move, but I couldn't get it in this video. Anyway... Camera rotation, dives out of the ring, knock offs of real wrestlers (Hulk Hogan, Mil Mascaras, Abdullah the Butcher, etc.), not a large selection of moves or wrestlers by any means, but still a really decent wrestling game for being on the Famicom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EricThaDead View Post
    Here's a short video of Toukon Club, since nobody else has even mentioned it and I clearly didn't talk it up enough lol. Ignore my terrible playing, I was trying to to figure out a crazy corkscrew top rope move, but I couldn't get it in this video. Anyway... Camera rotation, dives out of the ring, knock offs of real wrestlers (Hulk Hogan, Mil Mascaras, Abdullah the Butcher, etc.), not a large selection of moves or wrestlers by any means, but still a really decent wrestling game for being on the Famicom.
    Cool wrestling game, man! Yeah, it took the video to entice me to play it. I appreciate your evangelistic zeal and the work you put into translating the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Cool wrestling game, man! Yeah, it took the video to entice me to play it. I appreciate your evangelistic zeal and the work you put into translating the game.
    I did the translation back in November, but I didn't spread it around or anything, just posted it on ROMHacking.net and my website. I'm hoping a few people enjoy the game so me translating it, and possibly attempting to translate something else, doesn't feel like a complete waste of time lol. Thanx for checking it out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wwf wrestlemania the arcade. It's more mortal kombat then wwf but it's good and fun!
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by EricThaDead View Post

WOW! I love the ring rotations. Don't know how I've missed this one over the years. Can't wait to give it a try!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    WOW! I love the ring rotations. Don't know how I've missed this one over the years. Can't wait to give it a try!
    Quick tip: When the camera rotates, try to get to a different vertical plane than your opponent. It takes a bit to get used to the camera rotation, and the CP almost always tries to hit a strike as it happens. lol

Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

This thread makes me really bummed that US developers seem to be completely resistant to making an unlicensed wrestling game with over-the-top characters ala Pro-Wrestling, Saturday Night Slam Masters or even Punch-Out if you will in our modern era.

The closest we've gotten in recent years are previously mentioned M.U.S.C.L.E. games and the Rumble Roses games, which aren't bad other than both being paced in the Japanese pro wrestling match style (slow and steady).

I'd LOVE to see something with over-the-top original characters and crazy fast action ... the WWE Superstars game was a move in the right direction but the superdeformed WWE likenesses kind of held it back more than anything.

I'm a huge wrestling mark and I'm totally not opposed to playing with unlicensed characters if they're well designed and have personality. Wrestling games need to be fun again!
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 09-04-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you see that PC wrestling game on Steam Greenlight?
    It's supposed to be like a highly modifiable clone of Aki's N64 rasslin games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Did you see that PC wrestling game on Steam Greenlight?
    It's supposed to be like a highly modifiable clone of Aki's N64 rasslin games.
    I didn't. Links?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pro Wrestling X: Uprising

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=92916857

There are some videos on YouTube as well.