View Poll Results: Would you buy a MAME console?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 65.38%
  • No

9 34.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If there was a MAME console would you buy it?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default If there was a MAME console would you buy it?

Since the technology is cheap this imaginary console would focus on packaging and controls.

First off, the game would have to be packaged in something like a DVD jewel case or a Genesis box. Included would be nice inserts of the game, instructions and what ever else collectors might like.

Each game might come with a controller that resembles the original arcade controller

Ikari Warriors would come with special rotary joystick
    Marble Madness would come with a track ball
    Asteroids would come with a 5 button layout controls

** I do understand the paperboy would be ridiculous

Just curious of what you all think.
    Last edited by homerhomer; 06-20-2012 at 03:04 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I would actually buy this.

Yes, Paperboy would be silly, but if the company was actually willing to do something that truly lets me recreate the arcade experience at home like this, then I would be all over it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to think of a console like this, like a Neo Geo AES for other arcade games. It would function essentially like a supergun with proper cartridges rather than the aesthetically sloppy circuit board wired to a small box. Cartridges would come in a Genesis-like box, and would have the original artwork and a picture of the original arcade machine right on the box. I'd also like to figure out a way to include marquee, bezel, and control panel art. Maybe joystick overlays for each game, kind of like how Intellivision had those controller inserts. Or each game could come with stickers! And they'd all come with one of those little paper arcade machines you can cut out and put together yourself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I would totally buy this. These would be the first games I get-

MICHAEL JACKSON'S MOONWALKER
    GUNFORCE 2 / GEOSTORM (JAP)
    THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD
    CAPTAIN AMERICA AND THE AVENGERS
    DONKEY KONG

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I already have an HTPC and MAME set up the only reason I would buy this would be for the physical copy of these games. It also wouldn't hurt if the MAMEBOX would actually come set up to play the games like a console would, I get so sick of trying to get control schemes to work I hardly ever play games in MAME. Also, the box's emulation would have to aim for total accuracy not just high level emulation like most MAME games use. Otherwise it would be little better than one of those shoddily emulated the PS2 and Xbox got.

Oh, and for Arcade games unlimited continues should not be an option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I generally agree with this, but I do think it's a good thing to have with four player beat-em ups and "party" kind of games where you're just sitting around with friends mashing buttons until the end of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

I have a supergun which is basically the homemade version of that type of console.

Do you mean the games would be licensed as a normal console but kinda expanding on the idea of the Neo Geo since it's arcade perfect and not a port?
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    I generally agree with this, but I do think it's a good thing to have with four player beat-em ups and "party" kind of games where you're just sitting around with friends mashing buttons until the end of the game.
    Yeah, I don't think I have any buddies that would want to actually play through a beat-em up multiple times to get it down. The Simpsons on XBLA shares limited continues and the only guys I know that will play it haven't wanted to since the first time we played it. The same guys played all the way through X-Men with me, but only once.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of course.

I, Robot
    Gaplus
    Make Trax
    Crazy Climber
    Rygar
    Super Pac Man

The gaming fun would be endless.

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nope.
    MAME and it's ROMsets keep getting updated way too frequently, I rather keep managing and tracking everything on my PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would t2 come with a pair of cool guns?
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It really depends on the setup. If we're talking essentially a gussied up consolized MAME cab then probably not. But a relatively inexpensive equivalent to a Neo Geo for other arcade hardware? Yeah, definitely. Hell, a CPS-1/CPS-2 console alone is something I'd pounce on. But, yeah, price and volume would be the biggest issue. I'm not sure how much I'd be willing to pay for one old arcade game, particularly if it has gotten an arcade perfect release on one of the many compilations out there.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 06-21-2012 at 12:12 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Cartridges would come in a Genesis-like box, and would have the original artwork and a picture of the original arcade machine right on the box. I'd also like to figure out a way to include marquee, bezel, and control panel art.
    You could include control panel art right there in the case.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    I would totally buy this. These would be the first games I get-

MICHAEL JACKSON'S MOONWALKER
    GUNFORCE 2 / GEOSTORM (JAP)
    THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD
    CAPTAIN AMERICA AND THE AVENGERS
    DONKEY KONG
    You have good tastes, my friend. I would kill to have a good console version of Geostorm.

Add to that: X-Multiply, Gunforce 1 (its flawed but I like it), R-Type Leo, Armed Police Unit Gallop, and probably about a million fighting games as well.

Since I already have an HTPC and MAME set up the only reason I would buy this would be for the physical copy of these games. It also wouldn't hurt if the MAMEBOX would actually come set up to play the games like a console would, I get so sick of trying to get control schemes to work I hardly ever play games in MAME. Also, the box's emulation would have to aim for total accuracy not just high level emulation like most MAME games use. Otherwise it would be little better than one of those shoddily emulated the PS2 and Xbox got.
    Well, the "console" could be just a JAMMA board, and the "cartridge" could just be the chips to the original game... cartridge-ized. I guess? Or did I just fail technology forever there?

Or rather, it should be something you set with a dip switch. Those who want unlimited continues can have them, those who don't can turn them off.

I do think "off" should be the default.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Well, the "console" could be just a JAMMA board, and the "cartridge" could just be the chips to the original game... cartridge-ized. I guess? Or did I just fail technology forever there?

Or rather, it should be something you set with a dip switch. Those who want unlimited continues can have them, those who don't can turn them off.

I do think "off" should be the default.
    If we're talking about real hardware it wouldn't be MAME anymore. Even with JAMMA there would be a ton of games that wouldn't be compatible. My Zaxxon and Shinobi cabinets aren't JAMMA compatible because they predate it, at least I assume that's why. I wanted to take my Shinobi cabinet and figure out the wiring for the Arcade board to the cabinet so I could put my NEO GEO and Samurai Shodown in there too.

There's plenty of room for two circuit boards, but I couldn't find any wiring diagrams when I tried. It's basically like trying to figure out how a Genesis and SNES output RGB, power and controller lines and making them cross compatible. If a company wanted to make a Multiple Arcade Machine Box they could probably just establish a standard and make their carts or disks compatible. Carts would either need the real hardware or chips powerful enough to emulate real hardware and at that point we're right back to the problems introduced by emulation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Sort of, JAMMA is just a wiring standard. It means that all the different signals will always be on the same pins on every board, so you can plug any board into any cabinet with a JAMMA harness and it will work without problem. It has nothing to do with the processor or the way the game works, just the output signals.

So to do this cartridge based arcade system, you'd have to program every game from scratch, just like the old console ports. If you truly wanted the original game ROM (Like the Neo Geo AES), you'd need the original processor for that game as well, and then you're essentially talking about a supergun. (which is really just a video encoder in a box)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If we're talking about real hardware it wouldn't be MAME anymore. Even with JAMMA there would be a ton of games that wouldn't be compatible. My Zaxxon and Shinobi cabinets aren't JAMMA compatible because they predate it, at least I assume that's why. I wanted to take my Shinobi cabinet and figure out the wiring for the Arcade board to the cabinet so I could put my NEO GEO and Samurai Shodown in there too.
    Actually Sega System 16 doesn't predate JAMMA, Sega just decided to go with their own wiring standard. I guess to sell more dedicated cabinets.

It sounds like you need a standard JAMMA cabinet, if you want to use your Shinobi cabinet for that I'd recommend completely replacing the System 16 harness with a JAMMA harness, then get a System 16 to JAMMA adapter to play your Sega games. Of course, you'd need additional modification to play Neo Geo on JAMMA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually Sega System 16 doesn't predate JAMMA, Sega just decided to go with their own wiring standard. I guess to sell more dedicated cabinets.

It sounds like you need a standard JAMMA cabinet, if you want to use your Shinobi cabinet for that I'd recommend completely replacing the System 16 harness with a JAMMA harness, then get a System 16 to JAMMA adapter to play your Sega games. Of course, you'd need additional modification to play Neo Geo on JAMMA.
    That's interesting, I remember reading Rosen was advocating a standard Arcade wiring system before the "crash". I wonder if the crudely constructed "super gun" I inherited with my NEO GEO board would help with turning that Shinobi cabinet into something. I still need to replace the monitor too, but have never been able to justify the cost. It would be pretty danged cool to have a working cross compatible Arcade cabinet, since my Shinobi cabinet is just plyboard with generic wood print I could create my own decals and everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have a supergun, I suppose you could replace your monitor with a television and use that. I doubt the video would look as good though. Ever thought about a MAME box for your cab?

Does anyone here know if a supergun with a TV looks as good as an arcade monitor?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Arcade-quality controls with every game? That sounds expensive, especially on games with odd custom controls. You could program an FPGA to be the logic/etc on these boards and make a cart of some kind, but that will cost a boat load of time. You'd be better off building a Supergun and picking up the boards you want (and x-to-JAMMA adapters where necessary).
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 123►genei-jin View Post
    nope.
    Mame and it's romsets keep getting updated way too frequently, i rather keep managing and tracking everything on my pc.
    this.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?