Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: video game sales WAY down in April... are we looking at a crash?

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    I was thinking of Dead Rising. I've never played L4D, but zombie games get a free pass. Who doesn't love shooting them?
    Oh yes. I can't handle to clunky controls in most of the RE games, but L4D rules the day. The first one.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Why would anyone wonder why sales are going down in videeo games? seriously? The econonmy is absolute shit and it should be a matter of course for anyone who's narrative is the "videogame market" Who gives a shit?

Best bet is to secure an atari 2600 before the end of the year. (With games)

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Quote Originally Posted by The Shawn View Post
    Best bet is to secure an atari 2600 before the end of the year. (With games)
    Wouldn't that be funny? If all of us quit buying anything new and spent that money on the 2600...
    Then Atari would have caused 2 collapses with the same console! Boo-ya!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    Glad to see that people already made the point of April 2012 just being a slack month in terms of good games. If you think the game industry is crashing, wait until you see the Diablo III sales numbers, lol. Probably record highs across the board, so I fully expect a "OMG, The Game Industry is Stronger than EVER BEFORE!" post shortly thereafter.
    lol they'll probably think that D3 was a disappointment because digital download sales won't be included for some asinine reason.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

It's like the sales figures for Xenoblade Chronicles: many people bought the European version instead before NoA changed its mind and decided to release it here after all. Also, I was in Boston when the game came out and visited a Gamestop there, and you'd never know that Nintendo had a new game out, since nothing in the store really cried out "new Nintendo game out!".

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

There was an article on the BBC News website about this, and even they said it was mostly likely due to a lack of high selling games like there was last year...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

With Max Payne 3 and Diablo III, the sales numbers should be much better for May. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    And so what of it? I get tired of people whining that all that comes out anymore are Call of Duty clones and GTA clones, because not only is that bullshit, but the nostalgia that usually lurks behind the sentiment is a view of the past through the rosiest of glasses. In fifteen years we'll have to listen to the CoD generation whine about the exact same thing, defaming whatever is popular and reminiscing about how better everything was back in their day. Nostalgia is as dangerous a drug as anything that's out there. It's one thing to fondly remember an era you were in love with; its entirely another to allow that to warp your perception of the present.
    Games being GTA clones and Call of Duty clones is the least of why games are crap right now. It's publishers getting paranoid about piracy, games coming out unfinished, and DLC raising the prices of the games that make gaming crap nowadays. Whichever way you slice it, we never had to deal with that kind of thing "back in the day". I agree with you, mostly, on your sentiment though. Although boring war shooters do make up a good portion of games this generation, people who think that's all that exists should get a PS3 platformer/adventure, or a first-party Nintendo game, or check out the PC indie scene.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    With Max Payne 3 and Diablo III, the sales numbers should be much better for May. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
    I just want to make this clear: NPD numbers are essentially irrelevant. If you're dead set on playing video game sales doomsayer, you're going to need to check out press releases, quarterly P&L statements, hack Gabe Newell's email, develop a close relationship with Turbine's accounting department, do manual stock checks at Walmart, Target, and Frys, and commit corporate espionage over at Riot, Nexxon, and GOG, and start hacking iTunes and Facebook to get their sales data. Otherwise you're wasting everyone's time.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

well at least one developer in rhode island is making the news its going under and could cost tax payers big bucks (100mil or so)
    if the economy would pick up I think these sales would to and here shortly next few years we should see some more new hardware to boost sales somewhat.

that said I'm too broke to do any gaming other than really cheap used buys and micro stuff on my phone and in steam and even that I shouldn't really do but I have an addiction! lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I just want to make this clear: NPD numbers are essentially irrelevant.
    In terms of gauging what's truly going on with the market I'd agree, but they serve as a good indicator of what consumers are doing with the physical market (minus used sales). While it isn't 100% conclusive, NPD data strongly hints at the shifting market to digital and mobile.

On a side note, it's a shame NPD is not or cannot capture enough data to illustrate what's really going with the market. I used to receive their reports and the data they covered extended far beyond a top 10 or 20 list.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    In terms of gauging what's truly going on with the market I'd agree, but they serve as a good indicator of what consumers are doing with the physical market (minus used sales). While it isn't 100% conclusive, NPD data strongly hints at the shifting market to digital and mobile.

On a side note, it's a shame NPD is not or cannot capture enough data to illustrate what's really going with the market. I used to receive their reports and the data they covered extended far beyond a top 10 or 20 list.
    I know I'm in the minority with more and more people playing games on their phones and mobile devices, but I could never get into it. I played Angry Birds a bit, had fun, then was bored with it. The only game I have on my phone now is Scramble with Friends. Id rather come home and play a console or take my DSI with me to work or wherever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

There are alot of factors that are the reasons why numbers are down. I for one have been saying that there will be a correction coming in the game industry. There are some great games coming out...just that there are also some great turds churning out just as much. For every Diablo III there are four games that waste shelf space/digital space...which brings up a big hurdle for the industry moving forward.

Right now we are dealing with a market cooling with aging consoles that are really overdue for a price reduction. There are also so many great titles that have came out for the last couple of years I for one am at game saturation...I could never buy a new game and have enough games to last a lifetime.

I think that the game market will have some great winning titles, but overall you are going to see a trend to fewer titles sold over the next few years. I agree with some others that have said that there are the two types of markets right now. The big fish developers and the the small indepenent companies...there is not room for the middle at all at this time.

I am not worried about the trend. There are still a ton of excellent games coming out and that are out. If the amount of games sold in the industry is less, then so be it...
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't bought anything lately because my PS3 got the YLOD a month or 2 ago and I haven't been able to repair it or get a new one yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    There are some great games coming out...just that there are also some great turds churning out just as much. For every Diablo III there are four games that waste shelf space/digital space...which brings up a big hurdle for the industry moving forward.
    This excuse isn't specific to this generation of gaming. This has been the case since the late 1970s. For every one great Atari 2600 game, there were several pieces of garbage sitting next to it on the shelf. Same with the NES, Game Boy, Genesis, SNES, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, etc. It will always be that way. There must be some other reason why sales are decreasing...

Right now we are dealing with a market cooling with aging consoles that are really overdue for a price reduction.
    And there's the answer. It happens at the end of every console generation, yet so many people get amnesia every several years and think the industry is collapsing. This generation is winding down and many developers are focusing on creating games for new hardware.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 05-21-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right now we are dealing with a market cooling with aging consoles that are really overdue for a price reduction.
    This. Consoles this old have never been nearly this expensive. I can't believe how pricey they are for such old hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.