Thread: Under the Radar Saturn Games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Under the Radar Saturn Games

Dreamcast and Saturn have become my go to systems when I want something new/different. We went over hidden gems for the Dreamcast and XBOX but how about the Saturn? Doesn't matter US, Japan, Euro I can play them all so shoot.

Under the Radar Saturn Games.

So far all I can really mention are Robo Pit and Robotica. Robotica is.......Unique that's for sure.

The only Other obscure Saturn game I know is decent are Mr Bones There are gmae I KNOW about but haven't really played.

Imports are in play so feel free to mention imports.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Genjackson's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    PSN
    guyonthedock_js

I don't really know 100 percent what you are looking for, but I'll throw out a few weird ones I have.

Baku Baku - weird puzzle game. Interesting concept, but not very fun.
    Enemy Zero - I guess its called enemy zero because you never see a bad guy. Thats right, the enemies are invisible. You might see them later on, but it sucks so bad I never could play too far into it. It only made the list because I've never seen another game with all invisible enemys. You can see them as dots on the radar, but when you're trying to shoot them, its mainly just a luck shot everytime.

"If I cannot swear in heaven, I won't go there." Mark Twain

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Genjackson View Post
    I don't really know 100 percent what you are looking for, but I'll throw out a few weird ones I have.

Baku Baku - weird puzzle game. Interesting concept, but not very fun.
    Enemy Zero - I guess its called enemy zero because you never see a bad guy. Thats right, the enemies are invisible. You might see them later on, but it sucks so bad I never could play too far into it. It only made the list because I've never seen another game with all invisible enemys. You can see them as dots on the radar, but when you're trying to shoot them, its mainly just a luck shot everytime.
    Enemy Zero the spin off to D and I've heard of Baku Baku just never played it.

Shooters and Fighters I'm set I know what's good and what's Crap there and I have roughly 200 Saturn ISOs I play in SSF but I don't get the same feeling through Isos I do on my physical real Saturn.

For a system that "Failed" there sure are a ton of great games for it even multiplatform ones like Rampage world Tour (ok not GREAT but I love rampage)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you already looked at Racketboy's guide? http://www.racketboy.com/retro/best-...a-saturn-games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try Steam Gear Mash. It's a cute/fun isometric platformer.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bulk Slash
    Dragon Master Silk
    Hyper Duel
    Columns Arcade Collection
    SCUD: Disposable Assassin
    Assault Suits Leynos 2
    Night Striker S
    Bug Too!
    High Velocity
    Soukyugurentai
    Scorcher
    Sorvice
    Lode Runner: The Legend Returns
    Elevator Action Returns
    Kyuukyoku Tiger II
    Tryrush Deppy
    Choro Q Park
    Super Tempo
    Keio Yugekitai
    Baroque
    Batsugun
    Princess Crown
    Strahl
    Sexy Parodius
    Dezaemon 2
    Last edited by stalepie; 05-02-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're interested, I have 6 volumes of YouTube videos, which show video clips of the best Saturn games I've played over the last 10 years. Probably around half of them are import-only games. Sometimes it is easier to see what a game is like by watching some gameplay, as opposed to reading reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gameofyou1/videos
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Have you already looked at Racketboy's guide? http://www.racketboy.com/retro/best-...a-saturn-games
    I have I asked this on two other forums. at this point I'm interested to see what answers different people on different boards have but I'm sure some game will come up that I haven't heard of yet

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    Try Steam Gear Mash. It's a cute/fun isometric platformer.
    Like this, a good example of a game I haven't heard of yet.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stalepie View Post
    Bulk Slash
    Dragon Master Silk
    Hyper Duel
    Columns Arcade Collection
    SCUD: Disposable Assassin
    Assault Suits Leynos 2
    Night Striker S
    Bug Too!
    High Velocity
    Soukyugurentai
    Scorcher
    Sorvice
    Lode Runner: The Legend Returns
    Elevator Action Returns
    Kyuukyoku Tiger II
    Tryrush Deppy
    Choro Q Park
    Super Tempo
    Keio Yugekitai
    Baroque
    Batsugun
    Princess Crown
    Strahl
    Sexy Parodius
    Dezaemon 2
    Yeah most of these I've heard of some I even have like Elevator Action returns (on the PS2 Taito collection)
    Dragon Master Silk is the only one on this list I haven't heard of.

and doesn't Soukyugurentai not work with the Action Replay?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocade Fantasia View Post

I haven't tried it with the action replay or game shark, but I have a memory card plus and it boots and plays fine with it.

Its an awesome game.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I play it in MAME from time to time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

An amazing action RPG that never seems to get any respect at all is DARK SAVIOR. A spiritual successor to the Genesis' LANDSTALKER, it really improves upon everything that made that 16-bit game so enjoyable. The story and localization are really good, and the game can actually be played through SIX different times, with each one registering its own paths and ending. Really cool stuff. Definitely the most underappreciated RPG on the system (MYSTARIA is another solid forgotten title, too).

ASTAL seems to get a fair bit of love now, but it's still relatively obscure. Lush 2D game with a cute story, a variety of unique control mechanics and some of the best hand-drawn animation you'll see from the era.

SHINOBI LEGIONS doesn't get mentioned much in the Shinobi canon, but man, I love that game. The motion capture always put me off, but when I actually played it the graphics actually come together quite well, and it is fluid as all hell. A really tight game and the low rent live action cut scenes are definitely memorable.

GOLDEN AXE: THE DUEL is another installment from a popular SEGA franchise that never gets talked about. It's a pretty basic 2D fighter, but the characters are interesting and it uses the characters and conventions of the Golden Axe universe quite well. I like how you can use those little glowing powerups in the game like you could in the beat'em ups.

Word up for giving props to ROBOTICA. Bought that one back in the day and always kind of liked the industrial emptiness of the game. There aren't much enemies, so most of the time you just wander around and take in that dark, bleak steampunk atmosphere. CONGO is another overlooked FPS that's kind of enjoyable - plus, it's one of the few games with native support for the Mission Stick, which ads to the fun.

SKY TARGET is about as close as we ever got to a quality 3D polygon version of After Burner until we got the amazing AFTER BURNER CLIMAX a couple years ago. Good arcade enjoyment.

And there's still an active NETLINK league out there if you ever want to fire up some of those quality NetLink games like DUKE NUKEM 3D, SATURN BOMBERMAN and SEGA RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP: NETLINK EDITION.

And lets not forget the fun little polygon spaceship you get to watch when you play a music CD in the system and minimize the console. Awesome.

I love the Saturn, pretty much every game was overlooked, but the quality to quantity ratio is extremely high on the system so almost every blind buy is still a pretty sound investment. Play the games and have some fun!
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shinobi legions is interesting in that all 3 regions it was released in were different in some way. Shinobi X being notable for a Richard Jaques soundtrack.

I think Groove on Fight needs mention. It was the first 2d fighter I bought for the Saturn and I fell in love with it. I'm a minor Power Instinct fan (I have Matsuri on my laptop but no controller I use with it seems to input right) So I really enjoy playing it even more so with friends.

I don't think Saturn Bomberman is that under the radar I still need 2 multitaps and 7 more controllers plus 9 other people to have a battle for Bomberman supremacy. Most people will tell you Saturn Bomberman is the best Bomberman ever!

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

No one mentioned Astal yet?

Great game.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

at this point I'm interested to see what answers different people on different boards have but I'm sure some game will come up that I haven't heard of yet.
    One game that no one ever mentions is
    Shingata Kururin Pa!
    It is a falling pattern puzzle game made by Sky Think Systems. There are two games in the series, both are available on PSX or Saturn.
    It seems to be a very deep and well designed game, but I am not any good at it, so a decent explanation is out of my grasp. I suspect the learning curve is the main reason we don't hear people talk about these games.
    The basis of the game is like falling blocks that are segments of fuses. You connect the fuses to make combos which send obstructions to the other player's field. There are a number of characters and they all have vastly different traits and special abilities.
    I really feel Sky Think Systems were a smart group of programmers and the game surely has a lot more to offer than I have been able to appreciate.

Hansha de Spark is another puzzle game which is often forgotten.
    There are four players on the field and the object is to eliminate the others. There is also a quest mode with enemies and boss stages.
    The basic gameplay involves shooting a beam which gains power each time it reflects off of mirrors placed around the field. As a player you use the shoulder buttons when standing on a mirror to rotate is in 45 degree increments - this way you set up combos and other strategies.
    Besides being 1-4 players, Hansha de Spark is also notable as it is one of the only games to display is Saturn's hi-res mode.

And my personal favorite overlooked/under-appreciated game is Vatlva.
    Vatlva is a 1-6 player RC-car style arena battle game. The control takes some getting used to, and again this is a game where each character/vehicle is vastly different from one another, requiring the player to learn completely new, driving, attack, and defense strategies.
    Vatlva makes great use of the Saturn pad when you find your preferred control scheme. iirc I use shoulder buttons for acceleration and reverse, and then all six face buttons are weapons. The vehicles are greatly customizable; you can choose to map a machine gun, flame thrower, and missile to A, B, and C as offensive weapons. And then map smoke screen, force field, and saw blades as defensive weapons to X, Y, and Z ...just as an example.

My all time favorite video-pinball game is Fantasic Pinball by Techno Soft. This one is also available on Playstation.
    Fantasic pinball is bright and colorful and zany. Great to pick up and play for hours and hours.
    I much prefer this "fantasy" style video-pinball game over the "sim" style like Necronicon.

A colorful and zany shoot-em-up that is rarely mentioned is Jaleco's The Game Paradise. I haven't played it enough, and the multi-tiered Japanese menus make it not the friendliest import, but I love how unique it is among all the other shmups.

Finally, and this isn't even a game, but one item that I've never heard anyone else mention is
    Ayrton Senna Personal Talk: Message for the Future
    Back in '02 or so I won a cheap eBay auction for a random lot of games. The Ayrton Senna disc was one of them. A friend and I popped it in one night and we were transfixed. The disc is just a discussion with Senna about his life views and experiences. It is not a Video CD and does not need the MPEG card or anything.
    I am not a race fan what so ever, and I knew relatively nothing about Senna before seeing this. I have not watched the disc in years now, so I can't recall specific topics covered, but it isn't just talking about race cars and racing. It left a strong impression with me. The interviews are entirely in English, and iirc are subtitled with Japanese. I highly recommend it (and all the games I mentioned) to all Saturn owners.

edit:
    The original release does have garbled display issues when played with an Action Replay cart and other situations. There is a greatest hits collection re-release with the white bordered cover art, and that version corrected the display issue.

regarding Astal, I would hardly think it under-the-radar, and I find it to be sluggish and boring.
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 05-03-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Technosoft....Beat em up?

Sign me up (Also one of many games that SFF doesn't play)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tengai Makyou The Apocalypse IV is an amazing, fun and super original RPG that you won't experience anything similar to outside of the series. Even then, it's the most random by far. The PSP port is very faithful and only upgrades in good ways.