Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES help?

Okay, so for those of you who saw my last thread, I ended up buying the original NES.
    It turns out, it plays games that my Yobo won't play, even though they're supposed to be compatible.
    It has a new pin connector in it, and everything works great - except I'm getting squiggly lines on the screen.
    I checked the video cables, power supply...it's got a new connector so that shouldn't be too dusty...and the games have no such lines on the clone, so I'm going to guess they aren't too dirty either?
    Anyone have any idea what's causing this?

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does it have the original power cord or an aftermarket one? Some problems can occur with aftermarket power cords being plugged in to a surge protector they work better being plugged right into the socket.

Also if he used a cheap “new pin set” it could cause this type of problem or if they didn’t put the system back together right, the tray that holds the games has a lip that goes under the motherboard but a most of time people don’t realizes it and just slide it in on top of the motherboard causing games to not work properly or at all.

Personally if I bought it from a store I would take it back with the offending game that causes the lines and see if it does the same thing at the store if it does get them to replace it, fix it, or refund it.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Does it have the original power cord or an aftermarket one? Some problems can occur with aftermarket power cords being plugged in to a surge protector they work better being plugged right into the socket.

Also if he used a cheap “new pin set” it could cause this type of problem or if they didn’t put the system back together right, the tray that holds the games has a lip that goes under the motherboard but a most of time people don’t realizes it and just slide it in on top of the motherboard causing games to not work properly or at all.

Personally if I bought it from a store I would take it back with the offending game that causes the lines and see if it does the same thing at the store if it does get them to replace it, fix it, or refund it.

It seems to be the original power cord.. I mean, it says it was made by Nintendo, has the right model number, etc..
    And I tested it at his shop before I bought it, and it worked flawlessly, no lines or anything.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Try it on a different TV.

A lot of modern flat screens don't like game systems from that era. If you have a CRT somewhere try that.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does it have lines with every game? If it does than it might be the TV like Frankie says. If it’s only some games that cause the lines I would have to say it’s cheap pins or put together wrong. That’s why if you do take it back take a game that is causing the lines with you.

Also (you probably already did but) you can try cleaning the games more, an NES and a clone are different in where the pins connect at so the pins might be clean where they connect to the clone and not so clean where they connect to the NES.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bad filter capacitors can do this, too. They can also cause a slight hum or buzz in the audio.
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Does it have lines with every game? If it does than it might be the TV like Frankie says. If it’s only some games that cause the lines I would have to say it’s cheap pins or put together wrong. That’s why if you do take it back take a game that is causing the lines with you.

Also (you probably already did but) you can try cleaning the games more, an NES and a clone are different in where the pins connect at so the pins might be clean where they connect to the clone and not so clean where they connect to the NES.

If it was put together wrong or a pin problem, wouldn't it do it with every game? Worked flawlessly at the store -- I'm beginning to think the games just need more cleaning...maybe some alcohol or something.
    The TV is fairly older. It's a CRT. I don't bother with flat screen TVs if I don't have to.