Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default hdtvs and gaming

In the market for a lcd hd tv now. I think I have one picked out but have some questions regarding how to fix my gaming setup with it. Right now I have s-video going through my older switch box which my ps2 and n64 are plugged into (and normally any 3rd system I plug in). Gonna go component for my dvd player like I already have (hd will be for directv), but if the new tv doesn't have s-video hookups, what's the best I can do for my ps2, n64, snes, and dreamcast systems then, and what kind of new switch box would I want? Is component for the ps2 any good? Thinking of getting a rca 39" btw.

(Sorry if this is partially in the wrong forum)
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

The "golden rule" is an HDTV is only as good as the video it receives. Cheapskates will get the kind of poor results LCDs are stereotyped about.

There's two key faults in a typical LCD retro gaming setup:
    Poor scaler.
    Using composite/RF on consoles capable of better.

Together these may cause very fuzzy images. Most LCD screen panels are themselves actually decent quality, that can be demonstrated with trying HD content on them.

XRGB type up-converters reduce the former by offering improved scaling to the TV's HD level. Component or RGB cables/mods reduce the latter by letting the consoles provide cleaner source video.

Component for the PS2 works well. It's near identical quality to RGB, except component mode allows 480p in compatible games. Careful though! Often the normal component input of HDTVs won't accept low-res games (like PS1 or Disgaea/ICO). Even if they will by s-video. Leading to an annoying cable switch on some TVs if your collection has both 480p games and PS1 games.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had the same issue at the end of 2010 when I bought my plasma. I was perfectly happy with S-video to my CRT HDTV, but the models I was looking at lacked that input. I purchased an XRGB 2+ to remedy the situation and upgraded to an XRGB Framemeister earlier this year. Framemeister is a great option, but it will set you back about $500. I'm selling my 2+ for much cheaper, if you're interested.

While the XRGB line was created with videogames in mind, there are other viable options out there too. Read more here: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could take the console to the store and try a test run. LCDs display HD signals fine but are marginal on non HD signals. HD CRT or a HD Plasma display non HD signals clean and do not have the scaling issues.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^^^ that's not a bad idea, although it might be hard to find a big box store to let you do so.

OP, you might want to consider buying an older HDTV. There are pluses and minuses, of course, but it's a good way to get the upgrade you're after with the old timey inputs you want. I have a 1080P Samsung LCD that includes 2 S-video inputs and a 720P Sony DLP with the same. Even with S-video, the SNES looks awful and has a funky "shadow" bar that runs vertically through the middle of the screen on the LCD, while the picture through S-video on the DLP is awesome!

So, point is, it's a crap shoot. Testing before you buy, like this ^^^ guy suggested is a good idea (if you can pull it off).

Insert Coin (Level 0) Genjackson's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    PSN
    guyonthedock_js

Just a fair warning, light guns will not work on LCD tvs. Playasia has a gun now that will do newer gun games, but you'll have to say goodbye to duckhunt and hogan's alley.

"If I cannot swear in heaven, I won't go there." Mark Twain

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    I had the same issue at the end of 2010 when I bought my plasma. I was perfectly happy with S-video to my CRT HDTV, but the models I was looking at lacked that input. I purchased an XRGB 2+ to remedy the situation and upgraded to an XRGB Framemeister earlier this year. Framemeister is a great option, but it will set you back about $500. I'm selling my 2+ for much cheaper, if you're interested.

While the XRGB line was created with videogames in mind, there are other viable options out there too. Read more here: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/
    The site talks about 240p though. Do these work alright for 480i via component and S-Video?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    The site talks about 240p though. Do these work alright for 480i via component and S-Video?
    I have the following hooked up to the Framemeister via S-video:

Dreamcast
    Saturn (US and Japan)
    Genesis/Sega CD
    N64
    SNES
    Gamecube/GBA player
    PC Engine Duo RX
    Jaguar

I have the following hooked up via component:

PS2 (Japanese)
    Xbox
    Wii

I also have an NES hooked via composite. I'm generally happy with the results, but the settings matter a lot as does the game. Generally speaking, it handles all sorts of signals really well, but I'm not a complete graphic nazi either. The dudes at Shmups are way more critical than I am, but it does what I want and has handled just about everything I've thrown at it.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Yeah Im just not feeling up to paying $400+ for a box to fix up my older game systems...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell View Post
    but if the new tv doesn't have s-video hookups
    IMO, people should avoid buying those. The cheap bastards don't put a simple input to save nothing...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

do your research and get yourself a quality set not only in performance but reliability I'm a long time sony fan but samsung has my interest also these days. Lots of other lesser known brands that make good sets (mostly japanese and can get spendy) anyway good info here from the others. Just keep an old CRT for your classics (or hell if you got room get several they practically give them away now!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    IMO, people should avoid buying those. The cheap bastards don't put a simple input to save nothing...
    Wut you talking about?