Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Nintendo 3DS, One Year Later

At the end of March 2012 (end of February for Japan), the Nintendo 3DS achieved the one year milestone of its lifetime. In your opinion, where does the 3DS stand in terms of its progress over these past twelve months, its current game library, present features, available apps/channels, games and stuff which are purchasable through the eShop, and any known future game releases? Are we much further away from a new 3DS revision a la the DS Lite?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    At the end of March 2012 (end of February for Japan), the Nintendo 3DS achieved the one year milestone of its lifetime. In your opinion, where does the 3DS stand in terms of its progress over these past twelve months, its current game library, present features, available apps/channels, games and stuff which are purchasable through the eShop, and any known future game releases? Are we much further away from a new 3DS revision a la the DS Lite?
    The system was simply released too damn early, most likely due to pressure from stupid investors (note: don't take shit from idiots who want you to put your high profile games on the competing iOS). While it's not perfect, over the past twelve months it's developed into an awesome little system, thanks to regular system updates.

The library could use a bit more bulking up, perhaps more 3rd party support, but as it stands now I'm happy with it. I doubt we'll see a "3DS Lite" anytime soon; a second analog stick is honestly un-necessary for the types of games that are best suited for the system, and I don't think the system can physically get any smaller than it is.

Overall, a rough beginning, but FAR from the Virtual Boy like disaster many predicted.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While there are a few titles of interest, they're not compelling enough for me to purchase with the system I KNOW Nintendo will update. Sony really got it right the first time in terms of PS Vita's design, but the price stinks. I'll get a 3DS eventually, but after Nintendo brings out the system they should have in the first place.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

A year after launch and it still doesn't have much of a line up. In comparison to the Vita, the 3DS is getting a ton of games, where the Vita is getting none, but it's all nothing of interest.

I have to say that Mario Kart 7 is the only original game that's currently out that's worth owning the system for. I own Dead or Alive, Resident Evil Revelations, Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D, Tales of the Abyss, Mario Kart 7, and Super Mario 3D Land, all of which are a pretty lackluster experience on the 3DS.

For games that are in development, Heroes of Ruin, Shin Megami Tensei Soul Hackers port, and Dragon Quest Monsters Terry's Wonderland are the only three that interest me right now.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have to say I am genuinely surprised by how well the 3DS has done. I was one of the perhaps foolish first day purchasers and found little I liked in the launch line-up. While the flow of games isn't tremendous right now, I am very excited about some of the titles that are coming out in the next few months and I have really enjoyed Kid Icarus and Spirit Camera recently. I have to say that I am more convinced than ever that this will be the last generation of dedicated handhelds. Most third parties have already abandoned or never really started any original development on both the 3DS and Vita here in the United States and I imagine that it's only a matter of time before the remaining holdouts give up on both platforms as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I am more convinced than ever that this will be the last generation of dedicated handhelds. Most third parties have already abandoned or never really started any original development on both the 3DS and Vita here in the United States and I imagine that it's only a matter of time before the remaining holdouts give up on both platforms as well.
    So far, the 3DS is more popular than the DS during its first year. Why would developers abandon or ignore such a popular, best-selling platform?