Thread: I have solved the Earthbound mystery...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default I have solved the Earthbound mystery...

Well...I am happy to report that after a bit of research, I have discovered the source of all the Earthbound stupidity out there. As we all know...Earthbound is the number 1 game for ebay and price idiocy...something that makes absolutely no sense given the cart is as common as dirt. But all the prick morons and lemmings aside...I have come upon some startling evidence that may explain the beginnings of the Earthbound stupidity.

Once again, I was on videogamepricecharts looking at numbers and stats. And I pulled up Earthbound's ebay price history. It is shown below.

As can be seen from the image, February 2008 was the last month in which any sense of normalcy or sanity prevailed. After that date, something happened that caused all the idiots out there to go into a frenzy.

Well...determined to get to the bottom of this...I began to investigate what happened in March 2008 that triggered this.

Ladies and gentlemen, I can now state unequivocally, that I have found the origins of the Earthbound craze.
    In March 2008, a cosmic burst of such proportions occurred that it became farthest object visible to the naked eye. Specifically, GRB 080319B let out remarkable gamma-ray burst of such magnitude, that even though it occurred at a distance of 2.9 million light years...it was still visible to the the naked eye. Here is the link from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRB_080319B

So that, ladies and gentlemen, is what happened to Earthbound. It is the source and cause of all the Earthbound madness...and explains every single thing that happened to its price starting from March 2008.

The riddle has been solved...the mystery is no more. We can all rest in peace knowing that the culprit was GRB 080319B and happened 2.9 million light years away.

thank you.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow that was so exciting I almost cared about what you had to say.
    Last edited by Mister_Pal; 04-25-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I applaud your effort, sir.

Don't let the budget Adam Sandler above me get you down.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I just thought of another use for the DP ServBot, there should be voting buttons on every thread and if any thread gets at least 10 votes for "stupid" the DP ServBot can troll the thread automatically. If you can automate Garry Shandling too it would be perfect. I don't know why the thought just popped into my head. Weird.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Gamma ray bursts are always getting blamed for inflated video game prices.

It's downright racist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That explanation seems sound. I think you may be correct.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

As a member of the Illuminati I have to completely agree with this statement. We've not had our hands in this at all. Nothing to see here. Please go about your daily business.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    As a member of the Illuminati I have to completely agree with this statement. We've not had our hands in this at all. Nothing to see here. Please go about your daily business.
    Wait... I thought you guys didn't exist.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All trolling aside my theory was that the spike in Earthbound sales was due to the release of Smash Brothers Brawl (March 9, 2008 in NA according to wiki) and the inclusions of Ness in that game.

Brawl was an extremely popular game on an extremely popular console, and Ness could be considered an "unknown" to many people compared to the likes of Mario, Link and Kirby. Players wonder about the "unknown" character and the game he's from and want to buy the game, demand can't keep up and prices spike and continue to stay artificially high even though there was a decent number of copies of the game produced.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Gamma ray bursts are always getting blamed for inflated video game prices.

It's downright racist.
    Racist against what, incredible hulks?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    All trolling aside my theory was that the spike in Earthbound sales was due to the release of Smash Brothers Brawl (March 9, 2008 in NA according to wiki) and the inclusions of Ness in that game.

Brawl was an extremely popular game on an extremely popular console, and Ness could be considered an "unknown" to many people compared to the likes of Mario, Link and Kirby. Players wonder about the "unknown" character and the game he's from and want to buy the game, demand can't keep up and prices spike and continue to stay artificially high even though there was a decent number of copies of the game produced.
    Only thing I'd argue with is the words "artificially high", the fact is that the game is one of the most bizarre RPGs ever made. At this point I doubt $50 prices will ever return, I seem to remember Suikoden III did the same to the first 2 and while the somewhat more common one is back down to average prices for RPGs of that type, Suikoden II is still 2x higher than it otherwise would be. Dragonball GT Final Bout was another example involving a genuinely rare game and an anime/manga, and that was sometimes going to the $1300 range before the reprint and loss of interest in an otherwise mediocre fighting game. It is still about $80, a bit high but still.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post

It's not really a theory at this point. It's pretty much fact that Smash Bros. boosts the popularity of the lesser-known characters/games. The new Kid Icarus owes its existence to Smash Bros., and prior to Marth and Roy being included in Smash Bros., practically no one in the US cared about Fire Emblem. Now we've gotten nearly every (maybe all?) Fire Emblem games since then. Pikmin also had a surge from Olimar's inclusion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am proud to say I am part of the problem! I recently sold a copy on eBay with book (scratch & sniff cards intact) for 249.99. I knew that if I was willing to sit on the inventory that it would eventually sell for that price. And this was a recent sale, not in some crazy holiday rush.
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up a complete copy in june of 2008 for $236 and at the time i thought i overpaid...

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

True, true.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's only popular because people have yet to see the light... err... Aurora.

Hail the true king of comedy RPGs. You can all keep your stinkin' hippies, 'cause we got humanoid shellfish!

Name:  aqene1.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  17.7 KB

Name:  aqene2.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  18.4 KB

And remember... "Aurora Quest: Otaku no Seiza does what Earthboundon't"!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post
    Only thing I'd argue with is the words "artificially high", the fact is that the game is one of the most bizarre RPGs ever made. At this point I doubt $50 prices will ever return, I seem to remember Suikoden III did the same to the first 2 and while the somewhat more common one is back down to average prices for RPGs of that type, Suikoden II is still 2x higher than it otherwise would be. Dragonball GT Final Bout was another example involving a genuinely rare game and an anime/manga, and that was sometimes going to the $1300 range before the reprint and loss of interest in an otherwise mediocre fighting game. It is still about $80, a bit high but still.
    I think PS One Classics for PSP and PS3 on PSN is what KO'd the original Suikoden back down to normal price. All the Final Fantasy re-releases on there have done the same to that franchise.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]