Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: video game sales WAY down in April... are we looking at a crash?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default video game sales WAY down in April... are we looking at a crash?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...ging-consoles/

Wow... This is pretty shocking. Looking at the NPD numbers for April 2012, things are looking very bleak for video gaming. In April 2011, consumers spent 503 million on video games. This April ? 292 million. A 42 percent drop, year over year. The Number 1 selling game in April was Prototype 2, but get this... it sold less than 236,000, possibly considerably less than 236K. And it was the No.1 game on the list! Microsoft sold 236,000 Xbox 360 systems. Down 20.5 percent.

I know that Sony and Microsoft were both planning on waiting till at least November 2013, but I don't know.... Only 24 days left before the first press conference, so too late in the game to make such a huge change of plans, but I'm now thinking that we are going to see either Sony or MS launch their console next spring if this sales slump continues to drag on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and people said it would never crash, well at least we're getting a recession and hopefully we come out better because of it.

BURN baby BURN!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I wouldn't read into it too much. Remember what came out exactly right now (April) last year.....Portal 2, Mortal Kombat, Crysis 2 and a new handheld 3DS release in US.

Also, consider a numeral other factors like the lack of pig-budget AAA titles, controversy from Mass Effect 3 and TekkenXCapcom spilling over, and people saving up for the Diablo and Max Payne in May this month.
    Last edited by Press_Start; 05-12-2012 at 12:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

"Are we looking at a crash?"

Um, no.

Prototype 2 came out at the end of April and its sales for that short length of time and sold slightly more than half of what the original Prototype took in back in June of 2009 (419,900 units sold). It took until March 2012 to reach 2.1 million sold worldwide. So being top game in a month with not a lot of competition is nothing to be surprised about. Just another doom and gloom, bring out the next gen to get your eyeballs news bit.

Makes me wonder-what came out last April that had such sales? I know Portal 2 came out, what else rolled out that month that could account for such sales?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Makes me wonder-what came out last April that had such sales? I know Portal 2 came out, what else rolled out that month that could account for such sales?

April 2011

Mortal Kombat (360/PS3) = 1.22 mill
    Portal 2 (PC/360/PS3) = 1.11 mill
    Crysis 2 (PC/360/PS3) = 260k
    SOCOM 4 (PS3) = 270k
    and a boatload of new 3DS titles

April 2012
    Kinect Star Wars (360) = 670k
    Witcher 2 (360/PC) = 287k
    Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) = 220k
    Prototype 2 (360/PS3/PC) = 460k
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Look, I know that a video game crash like back in the early 80's is pretty much impossible, but things could get a bit sketchy. What if the Wii U comes out, and nobody but the core Nintendo faithful buy it? Sure, it will have impressive sales over Xmas, because there are enough Nintendo faithful that will buy it sight unseen, but after that the sales could fall off a cliff. I'm not sure that's how it's going to go down, but stranger things have happened. Then if MS and Sony bring out their consoles, and again, only the hardcore faithful by them, and after that the sales fall off a cliff again?

What if the only thing people are buying is the 99 cents iPhone type games and handful of triple A blockbusters? The economy and high gas prices and lack of job security seems to be making people a bit skittish, and maybe buying a new high priced console (anything above $199) is going to be a hard sell. Things could get really sketchy. I'm hoping for the best, but I can definitely see a bumpy video game road unless we get a real gaming breakthrough that rejuvenates the industry.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

I wouldn't be surprised if many were saving up to stand in line to buy the next console. Give them something to jump at, they'll drop cash. But with shovelware on the $60 shelves and the next gen just moments away...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Look, I know that a video game crash like back in the early 80's is pretty much impossible, but things could get a bit sketchy. What if the Wii U comes out, and nobody but the core Nintendo faithful buy it? Sure, it will have impressive sales over Xmas, because there are enough Nintendo faithful that will buy it sight unseen, but after that the sales could fall off a cliff. I'm not sure that's how it's going to go down, but stranger things have happened. Then if MS and Sony bring out their consoles, and again, only the hardcore faithful by them, and after that the sales fall off a cliff again?

What if the only thing people are buying is the 99 cents iPhone type games and handful of triple A blockbusters? The economy and high gas prices and lack of job security seems to be making people a bit skittish, and maybe buying a new high priced console (anything above $199) is going to be a hard sell. Things could get really sketchy. I'm hoping for the best, but I can definitely see a bumpy video game road unless we get a real gaming breakthrough that rejuvenates the industry.
    I disagree. This is just a normal slow-down at the end of a generation of consoles. It's also a really slow month with far fewer must own titles than this time a year ago as several others have pointed out. The economy was far worse last year at this time, so it's certainly not the dominant factor in this year to year drop. The industry doesn't need some amazing breakthrough. Great games and well made reasonably priced new consoles will keep things going for a good long while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    but I'm now thinking that we are going to see either Sony or MS launch their console next spring if this sales slump continues to drag on.
    Don't think too hard because thats not going to happen. Both Sony and Microsoft have already stated that there will be no next gen announcements at E3 this year and I can guarantee you Microsoft won't be making any announcements this year because they are still rolling out more new content(not just games) for the 360 and have a pretty big release this year with some game about a ring or something.

So no we aren't looking at a crash. What we are looking at with each new NPD report is the fact that retail is no longer the only purchase indicator that matters. People also spend lots of money on digital titles and used games. So these monthly reports only represent a part of a bigger whole and are really no cause for alarm. Nintendo is only launching the Wii U this year because Wii sales have been pretty dead the last two years, but thats to be expected based on how many consoles they have already sold.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Ah yes, the monthly ill-considered, un-researched, reactionary "OMG ANOTHER VIDEO GAMES CRASH" post.

Jesus Christ, DP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

Meh, I say, meh.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

As long as you don't have invalids running the companies like Atari did 30 years ago, there will be no crash.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I disagree. This is just a normal slow-down at the end of a generation of consoles. It's also a really slow month with far fewer must own titles than this time a year ago as several others have pointed out. The economy was far worse last year at this time, so it's certainly not the dominant factor in this year to year drop. The industry doesn't need some amazing breakthrough. Great games and well made reasonably priced new consoles will keep things going for a good long while.
    I agree, this is just one those weird times when one console generation is nearing its end and another is on the horizon. There weren't many AAA games released last month, so that's probably the biggest factor for a lackluster April.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Hey, also? A metric ton of money is going towards iOS games, the Android marketplace, and Facebook. While we're at it, Blizzard already sold something like three million copies of Diablo III before it's even been released, Steam has something like twenty million members, and despite all attempts at self-sabotage, Origin made EA 150 million dollars in it's first ten months. Then we have to consider that free to play games such as League of Legends and Tribes Ascend are making plenty of cash, while MMOs that have switched to free to play from subscription are suddenly profitable again.

The moral? The NPD numbers no longer tell even half the story. They've ceased to be relevant outside of causing people to post panicked doomsday what if? scenarios on GameFAQs, GAF, and assorted other forums with their idiot witchcraft.

I post this lullabye once a month, but here it is again: there's no crash coming. Not only are companies gearing up for the new consoles coming in the next year and a half, but there are revenue streams worth as much or more that they're exploring, stuff like mobile or, *gasp*, PC games of all types. Things are changing, but they're not going to die. There's way too much money involved for that. Bad years and shaky quarters? Sure! A fiery heat death like Atari? Fuck no. Relax.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

I never understand why people are surprised at the lack on console sales. Eventually everyone who wants a PS3, 360 or Wii are going to own it or buy a used one, so of course console sales go down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Hey, also? A metric ton of money is going towards iOS games, the Android marketplace, and Facebook. While we're at it, Blizzard already sold something like three million copies of Diablo III before it's even been released, Steam has something like twenty million members, and despite all attempts at self-sabotage, Origin made EA 150 million dollars in it's first ten months. Then we have to consider that free to play games such as League of Legends and Tribes Ascend are making plenty of cash, while MMOs that have switched to free to play from subscription are suddenly profitable again.

The moral? The NPD numbers no longer tell even half the story. They've ceased to be relevant outside of causing people to post panicked doomsday what if? scenarios on GameFAQs, GAF, and assorted other forums with their idiot witchcraft.

I post this lullabye once a month, but here it is again: there's no crash coming. Not only are companies gearing up for the new consoles coming in the next year and a half, but there are revenue streams worth as much or more that they're exploring, stuff like mobile or, *gasp*, PC games of all types. Things are changing, but they're not going to die. There's way too much money involved for that. Bad years and shaky quarters? Sure! A fiery heat death like Atari? Fuck no. Relax.
    I agree 100% Do NPD numbers even include income from monthly subscriptions to game like WoW? What about used games? I haven't bought a lot of 'premium' games this year but I've bought a ton of games from Steam and GoG. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a correction in the gaming market. There's just too many crappy shovelware games and uninspired sequels being released on consoles to keep me interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks to G-Boobie for saying almost exactly what I was going to in both his posts. Nothing to see here, move along.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    Thanks to G-Boobie for saying almost exactly what I was going to in both his posts. Nothing to see here, move along.
    Feh. I would have thought for sure that before the 10th post, someone would have said it's all Gamestop's fault. I am disappoint.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Also, consider a numeral other factors like the lack of pig-budget AAA titles

Is that because of pork barrel spending?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post

April 2011

Mortal Kombat (360/PS3) = 1.22 mill
    Portal 2 (PC/360/PS3) = 1.11 mill
    Crysis 2 (PC/360/PS3) = 260k
    SOCOM 4 (PS3) = 270k
    and a boatload of new 3DS titles

April 2012
    Kinect Star Wars (360) = 670k
    Witcher 2 (360/PC) = 287k
    Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) = 220k
    Prototype 2 (360/PS3/PC) = 460k
    Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!

Personally, I held off buying new games to clear my schedule for Diablo III.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)