Thread: Mr. Do has been ravaged... the Spider-Cade

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mr. Do has been ravaged... the Spider-Cade

Well, after spending the last couple weekends working on making small fixes on my two current arcade cabs I got the bug to add another member to the family... and this time I decided to take on a project. I know very little about arcade repair and maintenance and decided that would be the best way to learn.

So, I made my way to this guys house today who is moving and doesn't want to take along all of his various machines. We make it to the backyard and there are about five of them on the patio and the Mr. Do I came to see was right up front. The guy says it's been outside for a year and a half and all of the spider webs and dust tell me he isn't lying. The cabinet has no monitor, no board, no bezel and is most likely missing a few other things at this point. But, for $25, it's just what I was looking for.

Dude is nice enough to provide me with a tarp free of charge to keep my SUV clean. I get it home and start wiping away dust and webs and start seeing lots of dead spiders, petrified and stuck to the cabinet. I wipe them away with no problems... and then all the sudden two big spiders scurry away from the paper towel in my hand. I open the cabinet and realize this thing is infested. Well anyway, I loaded the thing up with spider spray and cleaned it as best I could. It will continue to sit outside until I know the spiders are all dead.

One weird thing is, I can't find any other Mr. Do cabinets like this one. I asked the guy and he said it is just really rare. I see lots of the full size and table tops but this one is kind of in between... it says DECO on the control panel, I don't know if that has anything to do with the interchangeable cassette system some cabinets used for awhile. Anyway, not sure if is rare of just a conversion?

Any tips on getting this project started would be much appreciated. According to ebay, a PCB for this would cost around $60 shipped. Marquee is in good shape, control panel is manageable if I can't find another one. Lots of wood grain in lieu of side art... might have to get rid of the parts that are peeling and paint instead.

Here are the pics...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0022.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	5004

Name:	IMAG0023.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	5005

Name:	IMAG0024.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	5006

Name:	IMAG0025.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	5007
    Last edited by Creepy; 04-23-2012 at 12:31 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm thinking maybe it was a generic DECO cabinet from all the wood grain and also the large front opening area that folds down look similar to the style of this DECO cabinet, even though the two cabinets are very different. I can't find any DECO cabinets that look like mine, though... the more I look at those Mr. Do instructions on my control panel, they definitely look like added inserts.

Compare the cabinet opening on the front of the cabinets, a little ways below the control panel.

Name:	mydeco.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	5008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

From what I understand and what I've heard from the friends who've worked in the arcade industry - it was all meatball surgery. Frankenstein creations were common place, and from a collector's perspective it was like the dark ages behind the scenes - cutting a bit from cabinet A to graft onto cabinet B because B made more money than A... and gutting machine C for parts and throwing the crap away... or keeping around for a rainy day and building a cabinet entirely out of scraps.

I have a Shinobi cab sitting at a friend's shop we've been toying with that we found the art for this game under a few layers of paint: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_de...p?game_id=7760

Personally I enjoy the archaeology part of arcade machines' history. Finding a token from a long dead arcade in town in the bottom of a cabinet is pretty exciting for me. And I'm more of a casual enthusiast.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Perhaps not as ironic as finding a family of mice in a Mouse Trap arcade cabinet, it certainly would have been more appropriate to find a family of spiders in one of these:

"And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

The design of that cabinet seems really familiar. Post over at KLOV as the cabaret / mini fanatics over there will be able to tell you in a moment.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh man, finally figured out what this thing is... stupid me didn't bother looking at the serial tag on the back of the cabinet. I looked up the model number and found out it's a DECO Astro Fighter... here are some pics of one that is complete.

Name:	DSCF0046.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	5014

Now that I know what it is I'd like to restore it to an astro fighter cab. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like parts for that game are easy to get to online.