Thread: Densha de Go series

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Densha de Go series

Are these games worth the price of getting the specialized controller? Which one should I get? I could swear there was someone around here who was a big fan of these games. Obviously the PS1 version would allow the controller to be used with the most games, but I don't have a modded PS1. Is the Saturn version any good? What about Jet de Go/Kisha de Go?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've used the special controller for the Dreamcast versions and I can say with all confidence that it is amazing (you have to like train simulators to begin with), although it does seems to stick every now and again (not sure if this is typical of the controller or just this one specifically). If you're looking for more Densha de Go awesomeness, might want to look into the Gameboy versions, they are much better than screenshots would lead you to believe.

Kisha de Go is pretty much a more of the same situation. So, if you like Densha, you'll like Kisha. I've no experience with Jet (on my to-do list, though).
    Last edited by JSoup; 04-08-2012 at 08:54 PM.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

/waits for insanedavid to post.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I think I may get the Wonderswan version simply because I want more games for it, but half the fun of it looks like it comes from using the specialized controller.

I never realized the pressure Japanese train conductors were under so much pressure...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yeah, the engines are designed so the majority of the control is put in the hands of the operator. While this seems like a 'no duh' kind of thing, it's really not. Most modern trains outside of Japan pretty much drive themselves. The operator is only there to override commands in particular conditions, such as lowering the rotation speed in wet weather conditions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Yeah, I figured it all would be computerized, simply because a computer would act in the same way every time and adjust automatically. Though I suppose a skilled driver would do the same.

I've got to admit, I posted this because I saw the Game Center CX of it and saw how horrible he was at it, which made me realize I never really played it enough. Just a shame that none of these made their way over here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hear BVE is a nice freeware alternative.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BVE_Trainsim
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    /waits for insanedavid to post.
    How did I miss this thread?! I was doing a post search today for Densha de Go! and this came up. Well then, ehem *puts on his white gloves and conductor hat* I guess I'll move the information I posted in an old finds thread over here. Since this is the official Digital Press Densha de Go! thread and all.

For those going "Wha' de Go?" the series is a Japanese train operating simulator. Essentially you operate different trains along real life routes with somewhat prototypical scheduling. I usually explain it kind of like Crazy Taxi but with trains. You have to maintain proper speed, sound the horn at the right times, be smooth with gearing and braking and most importantly run on time. Reach stations too slow and your points / life gauge will tick down, once it reaches zero the game is done. Reach stations too fast and you'll start to come up on the operations in front of you, which means yellow signals (speed reduction required) or the dreaded red signal. Nothing sucks more than being like twenty minutes into a route, nailing every time point, only to get a little ahead of yourself and end up parked at a red signal while your points gauge ticks down to zero. You get bonuses for passing non-stop stations right as the time ticks down to the exact scheduled arrival. You can also earn additional bonuses for sounding the horn at the right time (workers in the area, entering certain tunnels, approaching certain bridges, etc.). But of course the most challenging part of the game is stopping the train at the scheduled stations within a couple meters of the stop line - while being on time. On top of that you have to stop smoothly or points / life is deducted. Additionally accelerating while coming into a station is grounds for a big penalty. The trick is to coast in and brake to seal the deal right at the line.

The first two games are brutally strict in that they were based upon the arcade game. The later titles loosened up quite a bit and added things like a track radar that lets you know in advance of signal changes and speed traps. The first two games are notorious for having you going full tilt and then springing a 45 km/h zone on you out of the blue. So for the early titles you have to get a pretty good memorization of each route. I've also been playing the Nagoya Railroad version of the game which adds lightrail operations - having to also obey traffic lights, having cars block you in intersections, etc.

The different routes all have different challenges as do the different types of trains, since the physics are totally different for each one.

The only way to play is with a throttle controller, this is the classic one...

The spring loaded lever on the left controls throttle gearing (Off - 5). The lever on the right side controls the brake pressure. From right to left it goes from E (essentially park) to All Stop, then braking pressure 8 - Off. Each spot for both the throttle and brake have a nice solid click. Oh, also the well in the middle isn't a cup holder, it's a place to set your pocket watch to keep things authentic.

If you can get into them the games are crazy entertaining. In fact the series was retired not because it wasn't still extremely popular but because it was getting too expensive to recreate the true to life routes as video game systems became more and more powerful. A similar series, Railfan, replaced Densha de Go! but it uses video recordings so everything is exactly the same every time.

So what version should I get and what are the differences?

The PlayStation is the way to go if you end up having to make a choice although every release is a little different and a fun experience is to be had with any of them. PlayStation is the platform that has the most games on it and the standard controllers should work on both the PS1 and (most of the games on) PS2. To compare the Saturn only had Densha de Go! EX (an enhanced version of the first game with some expanded graphics and an additional line that I believe was exclusive), the Dreamcast only had Densha de Go! 2 Kosoku-hen 3000 (has a couple extra lines over the PS1 version but MAN is it pretty compared to the earlier versions), and the N64 only had Densha de Go! 64 (which is the same game as Densha de Go! 2 Kosoku-hen 3000 but you can use the N64 microphone to make announcements).

So really if you want all the trackage you have to get them all. The Saturn version of the first game is more or less the definitive version of the classic introductory Densha de Go! experience and I usually recommend it as the "gateway drug" of the series. That and we all love the import Saturn scene. The The DC and N64 games aren't worth it since they're basically Densha de Go! 2 with some additional lines, some of which were later done on the PS2.

As for the PS1 / PS2...

PS1 - Densha de Go! (very strict arcade port but if you get good at this, as many of us did, you'll have a lot more fun later on - same with the Saturn EX version which is a tad bit more relaxed in my opinion)

PS1 - Kisha de Go! (steam locomotives but not that great, extra control stuff to worry about if you use a regular controller but where's the fun in that?)

PS1 - Densha de Go! 2 (strict arcade port but if you get good at this you'll have a lot more fun later on in the series - same with the N64 and Dreamcast versions)

PS1 - Densha de Go! Professional (same lines as Densha de Go! 1 + 2 along with a couple new lines, the new radar system and less strictness - the first game in the series really designed from the ground up as a "home" version)

PS1 - Densha de Go! Nagoya Railroad (the lines of the Nagoya Railroad including lightrail and amusement park monorail - NOTE: in this game you MUST sound your horn after letting off the brake but before putting on the throttle when departing from full stop - must be something about this particular private line)

Then it switches to PS2 titles...

Densha de Go! 3

Densha de Go! Professional 2

Densha de Go! Shinkansen (high speed operations, kinda boring but it has a cool controller if you want to drop serious cash)

Densha de Go! Ryojohen (all trams and lightrail, has an even cooler tram-centric controller [the blue one] if you want to drop even more cash)

Densha de Go! Final (last regular series game, they went out with a bang - lots of lines and EXTREMELY relaxed gameplay)

I'd stay away from the "Train Simulator +" games and Railfain, although that's my personal preference since I don't care for the video based games - but they still use the Densha de Go! interface.

Oh - and watch out for the Simple 1500 and Simple 2000 series re-releases of some games, don't want to get two copies of the same thing unless you're going for variants.

Can I still play these without knowing Japanese?

As long as you know the basics of gameplay and the signaling, then yes, for the most part. You probably won't know what routes you're picking or what the stations are called but it doesn't get in the way of enjoying the games. I know barely any Japanese and have a blast with this series.

Season 12, Episode 5 of GameCenter CX is the best resource for non-Japanese speakers to learn how to play the game. The episode has been subtitled by the awesome Something Awful GCCX Team. While not a formal tutorial on how to play the games, watching that episode will give you a better idea of what to do and what's going on than any other resource.

Prior to the GameCenter CX episode translation I stuck my camera at my TV and played a single game of Densha de Go! Professional while I casually talked about what was going on in the game. That can be found here but I still recommend the GameCenter CX episode as it is a much better introduction than me trying to explain everything as I play in a low resolution video.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sorry reawakening a Zombie thread!

I really want to get into Densha De Go.
    I played it years ago on the DC and I still have it for my Neo Geo Pocket Color.
    But I have both a region free PS and PS2 so I want to pick up the various titles mentioned above.
    However
    Controllers!
    I am looking and the Type 2 controllers are a little too rich for my blood, while the classic PS1 DDG controllers are far more reasonable.
    But will they work on the PS2 titles from the series?
    There seems to be some conflicting information out there and I'd like to pick one up soon and not waste my money!
    Any info would be appreciated and please Mr Moderator, if you feel the need to move this post somewhere more appropriate please do.
    I hail from Ireland btw, and am a mod in the Arcade & Retro section of Boards.ie