Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What consoles can you not seem to find anywhere?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Amusingly I've owned two neo geos over the years, and found both of them at flea markets. I've also seen neo geo games at game stores and fleas.

Hilarious side note: The first time I ever saw Vectrexes in the wild was in Japan, where I came across not one but three Bandai units in game stores. I've only ever seen one stateside for sale, and that was the one I bought at CGE 07!
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Adventurevision, Halcyon, Select-A-Game, and Colorvision. As crazy as it sounds, my best bet of finding one of those in the wild would be the Adventurevision.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Can't find

I have never found these in the wild:

Aiwa CSD-G1M (Awia Mega CD)
    FM Towns II
    FM Towns Marty
    Bally's Astrocade
    RDI Halcyon
    Amiga A600 (probably much easier to find in Europe)
    ZX Spectrum (probably much easier to find in Europe)
    Amstrad CPC (probably much easier to find in Europe)
    Bandai Pippen

Insert Coin (Level 0) SonicBoom's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonicsalt99 (PS, I'm Not on a lot)
    PSN
    Sonicsalt99

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Although I've never seen a CD-i system in the wild I think alot of this has to do with me not knowing exactly what they looked like back in the day. There are so many variations to them and I probably did walk by one at a flea market or Goodwill at sometime but just never recognized it. But if I passed by one today I would know exactly what it was.
    That is true, I Didn't even think about that. Some variations look like DVD or VHS players, So I could have dismissed it.
    I Need a life....Wait! I DO HAVE ONE! CLASSIC GAMES ARE!

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

At flea markets and garage sales I really have only maybe seen 3 games older than 1995 in the past few years. The only place I see any retro systems is at my retro game shop where I've never seen Neo Geo, TG-16, Virtual Boy, Intellivision, Vectrex, any Atari, any Japenese system, Neo Geo Pocket, Lynx, Astrocade, Colecovision, Amiga, CD-I, 3DO, Sega CD, Turbo Duo, Odysee, Etc. Etc. Etc. The list could go on forever... I'm just not lucky when it comes to finds in the wild.

Insert Coin (Level 0) redknight802's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Saturn, Game Boy Pocket, I can't think of anything else

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For years I had never seen a Saturn and when I did end up eventually finding one it was an import V-Saturn.
    Otherwise, consoles/systems I've never seen: TurboGrafx16, NeoGeo anything, 3DO (I found one via CL but never seen in a thrift), and the Atari 7800.

Seems like I'm in a similar boat to others who have posted so far.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While they were really common in their day and generally can be restored to working order if they break down, Famicom Disk Systems are tough to come by outside of Japan.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Sega SG-1000, Colecovision and Channel F, though I do have those (acquired online). Never seen an Astrocade, most of the Pong systems, Atari XEGS, etc etc. I saw a lot more stuff in the wild in the mid-late 2000s than I do now.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some years ago, about 1994 or 1995 my dad knew a guy who owned a local junk store. This guy would go to estate auctions and buy huge amounts of old electronics at insanely low prices. He would sell most of the newer stuff, and throw the rest out in a pile behind his shop to later be taken to a dump.

A couple of times I visited there was a large pile of junk laying underneath of a awning. In that pile were all manner of Atari's, Vectrex, Astrocade, Arcadia 2001, Sega Master System, Odyssey, Fairchild, and many more. Practically every classic gaming system you can think of. They had all been sitting out in the elements for weeks or months, getting rained on over and over.

I begged my Dad to let me buy one of them anyway, but he figured none of them worked, and I already had "more games than you can play anyway" (I was ten or so). He kept telling me that I wouldn't be interested in the games because they were "worse than your nintendo".

So yes, technically, I have seen just about all of them in the wild, in one of the worst ways possible.

Now, of the more modern systems, these I've never, ever seen at a yard sale, flea market, or other general store.

Neo Geo AES or CD
    Turbo Grafx 16 or CD
    Amiga CD32
    Apple Pippin

The Neo Geo is the funny one. Really, who has seen one? (rhetorical question btw) 99 out of 100 Neo Geo fans got into it because of the arcade, ports, and emulation.

As for modern day, I can't find anything. I search junk stores, peddler's malls, flea markets, yard sales. Everywhere. You might find one measly NES copy of Ice Hocky, or a few scattered Genesis games, but otherwise zilch. Finding something like a Saturn would be a holy grail.
    Last edited by Jack_Burton_BYOAC; 12-08-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Burton_BYOAC View Post
    The Neo Geo is the real funny one. Really, who has seen one? (rhetorical question btw) 99 out of 100 Neo Geo fans got into it because of the arcade, ports, and emulation.
    That really was the point of the NeoGeo. I think SNK knew they were making a niche console.
    Why else would they advertise it as a Ferrari of game consoles, and also allow their games to be ported left and right to more-affordable consoles?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Having a large collection, I have come across a lot of systems in the wild, except the following:

Bally Astrocade
    Fairchild Channel F
    Vectrex
    Emerson Arcadia 2001
    RCA Studio II
    Turbo Duo
    Jaguar CD
    Neo Geo AES
    Apple Pippin
    CD-i
    Wonderswan
    Sega SG-1000
    Sega CDX
    Atari XEGS

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    Anything pre NES. TG16. Anything Neo geo. No 3DO.
    That's basically what I was going to say. I've always found it interesting how many collectors talk as if they come across the 2600 left and right, but I honestly have NEVER come across one in the wild. It's pretty weird. I come across pre-NES games some, like those for Channel F, 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, etc., but never the systems.

Haven't come across the others either, with the exception of the 3DO, which I found tagged as a VCR and quickly snapped up. Never found 3DO games in the wild, though. Had to turn to eBay to get something to play on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've been hoping to run across a Neo•Geo console for years, but it doesn't happen. I come across the Pocket Color every once in a while, but already have one from back in the day. I have one Neo•Geo CD game, I'd love to have a machine to play it on. I've never even seen the CD console in real life.

Other than at the Oklahoma Video Game Expo, I've never played an Amiga CD32. Back around its release I used to go to the one remaining Amiga store in the Dallas area and see their demo unit running some game or another, but it was behind the counter so customers couldn't touch it. I loved my Amiga, so I'd love a game console based on the Amiga. Too bad they are nowhere to be found. I honestly don't even think I've seen a game in its jewel case before. I might not even recognize it if I came across one.

The same goes for the Apple Pippin. I've seen the keyboards, touchpads, and modems for sale in the past, but never the actual console itself. And I have more of a chance of getting hit by lightning than finding a Pippin game CD in the wild. I've been an Apple user for years, this is one of those machines I'd truly freak over if I found it in the wild.

The majority of the other consoles that have been mentioned in this thread (other than the crazy rare ones like the Adventurevision or consoles that only came out in Japan) I've already found in the wild. I've been luckier in the past than lately. I think TurboGrafx-16, Lynx, 3DO, Jaguar, and any obscure pre-NES systems are the hardest to find games for in the wild around here. I'm shocked by how often I come across CD-i software here.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I'm not surprised that CD-i stuff might be a little bit easier to find than other gaming related collectibles from the period. I mean, why would you want it? It does not

-have a pedigree from a known manufacturer like Sony, Nintendo, or Sega.
    -games that are exclusive to it, or originated on it as a killer title (that I know of off the top of my head)
    -have a unique look

I can see 90s completionists wanting one, or people coming over from the Laserdisc/AV hobby side of things, but compared to the 3do, Neo, and Jaguar it is definitely in last place.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Tony Lama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Chicago Land Area

I'm from Chicago, Illinois. For some reason or another I think the TurboGrafx-16 did moderately well in this area. I remember back in High School that some kids actually chose it over Sega Genesis. Fast forward years later, I've run into TurboGrafx-16 stuff in the wild (flea markets, thrifts, etc) about once a year. Mostly consoles. Games are harder to come by. But I fear the times are a changing and 16-bit finds in general are drying up. Looks like I'm seeing PS1&2, N64, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, and Xbox 1 stuff all the time in the wild. Hardly anything else.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by redknight802 View Post
    Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Saturn, Game Boy Pocket, I can't think of anything else
    These are all easy to find around here, same for the 3DO. Anything Jag or Neo-Geo, console or games, forget it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstar Hero View Post
    At flea markets and garage sales I really have only maybe seen 3 games older than 1995 in the past few years. The only place I see any retro systems is at my retro game shop where I've never seen Neo Geo, TG-16, Virtual Boy, Intellivision, Vectrex, any Atari, any Japenese system, Neo Geo Pocket, Lynx, Astrocade, Colecovision, Amiga, CD-I, 3DO, Sega CD, Turbo Duo, Odysee, Etc. Etc. Etc. The list could go on forever... I'm just not lucky when it comes to finds in the wild.
    Then what in the world do they sell?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Personally I still have yet to see a coleco, 5200, tg16, neogeo console, game.com, 3do, turbo duo, intellivision, and any of the more obscure pre-NES era stuff in the wild though I have seen the odyssey and some random third party telegames pong. Games I've seen for many of those, just not the hardware and that's between California and Kentucky.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Since the original op used the word "anywhere", I took it to mean, well, anywhere. So to me, that means eBay too. Many people here are naming systems that are all over eBay.