Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Default Making console shell holes

Is there a good guide on boring into console cases? For stuff like region switches. Mod tutorials understandably avoid repeating details common to all similar jobs.

I'd guess you'll want a gentle methodical drill? Excessive power could crack the material or have it too easy to accidentally make the opening larger than intended. That and less risk of getting plastic shards tossed all over.
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Using a stepper drill for larger holes is nice and safe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For small stuff like RCA jacks, I sometimes make a hole in the case using an old soldering iron with a conical tip. I finish clean the hole with an xacto knife. With this method there's 0 chance of cracking the case, but you have to contend with the fumes.

If I need to use a drill, like for S-video jacks, I've had the best luck with brad point bits. Drill slowly and don't press on the case any more than necessary. A sharp bit will cut through the case in short order and the center spur on brad point bits keeps them from wandering.

I don't like traditional split point bits as they tend to wander, and the moment before the break through, they can sometimes grab the last remaining bit of plastic and twist the case right out of your hands. A brad point only cuts the outer diameter of the hole as opposed to boring through the plastic, so the process is quicker.

I can't speak about mortising in plastic for slide switches as I gravitate toward toggle switches which use circular hole mounts.

Oh, and always make small pilot holes before using a drill bit.
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always use a drill for making holes. I start out by drilling a small pilot hole with the smallest bit possible, and then I slowly work my way up until I get the right size hole. For single jacks I just do it freehand, but I always use templates for making a row of jacks. One easy way to get your holes perfectly lined up with a template is to lightly hammer a small nail in the dead center of the hole you want, but not to the point where the nail goes through. That way, the nail creates a dent in the plastic and your drill bit just slides right in.

I never use a soldering iron for holes as it produces a huge amount of fumes and you could very easily make a mistake if you don't watch it. I've seen people use a Dremel for making holes but I'd imagine that would be fairly risky as well.

For switches, I start by drilling a circular hole and then I file it out so the switch can freely move around (I use slide switches instead of toggles). It takes a lot of time to file it out though, and I'm thinking a Dremel would help in that regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection