Thread: Recent NES black box sales

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Genesaturn View Post
    So being that I see these pop up on ebay for retarded prices...as a Sega guy...I have to ask..whats so special about the black boxes?
    Black boxes have several things going for them.

They form a small subset that many people collect some exclusively.
    Due to the nature of the black box wear is very evident and decent shape boxes are hard to find so sealed is a big plus.
    As the first NES games available most copies were sold and played.

Also sealed collecting for Nintendo is bigger than it is on other systems of its day. These being some of the hardest titles to find sealed you will see crazy prices. Supply and demand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Anyone can program a one of a kind game in their basement, one of a kind doesn't mean shit for value. Some kid's random refrigerator art isn't as valuable as a numbered limited edition lithograph from a well known/respected artist. Where does the quality of your game fall under?
    Are you saying that you would rather own a sealed Duck Hunt cartridge over the unreleased one of a kind Socks prototype?

Not talking about reselling just owning.

Imagine you could find one of these items at a flee market for $10 but would not resell it. You can only have one so which one would you pick?

I'm not trying to bait you. I'm really curious which one you would rather own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I just want a nice copy of a few of my favourites to own and play, not to sit in a plastic coffin.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    I just want a nice copy of a few of my favourites to own and play, not to sit in a plastic coffin.
    These insane sales prices have no real bearing on loose cart sales. You can still have all your favorite black box titles for next to nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    Black boxes have several things going for them.

They form a small subset that many people collect some exclusively.
    And I thought I was the only one who did this. Nice to know there are a few other 'black boxers' out there.
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is NOT the time to buy this crap. The bubble will burst, likely sooner than later, and these games will sell for a quarter of what they're going for now. There's no way the market can support these prices forever. All these games are coming from Nintendo Age members. That site is just a big circle jerk for VGA rated games at this point. They seem to be setting the market price for these games, and, for whatever reason, people seem to be buying them. Madness if you ask me.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    This is NOT the time to buy this crap. The bubble will burst, likely sooner than later, and these games will sell for a quarter of what they're going for now. There's no way the market can support these prices forever. All these games are coming from Nintendo Age members. That site is just a big circle jerk for VGA rated games at this point. They seem to be setting the market price for these games, and, for whatever reason, people seem to be buying them. Madness if you ask me.
    Having collected video games and many other items for many years, I strongly agree with this. The NES market is extremely inflated at this point and there is zero chance if you buy a game at these inflated prices that you will ever recoup your investment if for some reason you need to sell down the road. I also can't imagine ever getting thousands of dollars of enjoyment out of any video game regardless of rarity.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    Are you saying that you would rather own a sealed Duck Hunt cartridge over the unreleased one of a kind Socks prototype?

Not talking about reselling just owning.

Imagine you could find one of these items at a flee market for $10 but would not resell it. You can only have one so which one would you pick?

I'm not trying to bait you. I'm really curious which one you would rather own.
    Not for owning, just for reselling. I'd rather have some unique prototype to keep, as long as the game was playable. Even if this Socks proto was priced at $200 I wouldn't buy it to keep, that's too much money to spend on a single game. For $10, yeah I'd keep it. That's pretty much my limit on SNES games.

Even for games worth hundreds, if I found a copy for $50 I'd keep it until I found a cheaper one. Then I'd sell the more expensive one to recoup the money. I wouldn't be done until I found a cheaper one to keep, I just don't like spending much on games.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    I agree about the bubble and nintendoage, I got banned from there because the moderators didnt like me, I didnt do anything wrong, but the mods there choose sides and pick friends and will ban you if they dont like your opinion. And the whole VGA thing is just pathetic in my opinion. The prices are stupid and even the grading is stupid, just like baseball card grading.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Having collected video games and many other items for many years, I strongly agree with this. The NES market is extremely inflated at this point and there is zero chance if you buy a game at these inflated prices that you will ever recoup your investment if for some reason you need to sell down the road. I also can't imagine ever getting thousands of dollars of enjoyment out of any video game regardless of rarity.
    Well not exactly. I wouldn't say zero chance, but I would agree that these are horrible purchases at these levels.

But it's just one guy buying all of these. All of these ridiculous sales are going to the same buyer. It's not all of Nintendoage conspiring to drive up prices. It's just one fool and his money, which are soon parted.

Think of it this way. You got a clunker car in your driveway that you thought was $250. Some guy shows up and offers you $20,000 for it. Are you going to sell it to him? You'd be a fool not to. Your neighbor also has a clunker, sees this sale, so he lists his for $15,000. That's what's happening now.

Of course these sales are outlandish and insane. The sellers are collectors first, and they would rather keep these items. But if they must part with them, then everyone has a price, and that's what they are charging. It is no different than DreamTR and his NWC Golds. It's been awhile, but when they were estimated around $15-$20k, he always had one for sale at $50k. Not because he's evil, just because he'd rather keep it. So if he's selling, you have to make it worth his while to motivate him.

It's funny, because these sales affect much less than 1% of the collecting community, yet almost everyone has a strong opinion about it.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post

It's funny, because these sales affect much less than 1% of the collecting community, yet almost everyone has a strong opinion about it.
    I couldn't agree more. The loudest opinions seem to come from those who neither have these games nor are they seriously looking to buy them. Sure they may want the games but these games have always been expensive just not at this level. If the most you want to spend is $50 you were priced out of the market on black box games perhaps 10 years ago when sealed NES collecting really started to become a thing to do.

If anything this is great news for those people because as casual gamers or collectors there is a chance they will find one cheap somewhere in the future. Huge windfall for those that do to buy the things that they do enjoy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

No, that would be great news for profiteers or people who flip games for money, the collectors and the gamers are the ones getting screwed here by price inflation.

Nice rationalizing though.

This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, that would be great news for profiteers or people who flip games for money, the collectors and the gamers are the ones getting screwed here by price inflation.

Nice rationalizing though.
    What's wrong with being a gamer, knowing market values, and buying and flipping stuff that you found for cheap so you can buy more games?

Why waste money from your own paychecks when you can just use money you've made from previous finds? I've never understood that mentality.

For some people, yeah reselling video games is their cash cow and they use it to improve their lifestyle. But for many, reselling video games is just used to further your collection. I don't resell to become rich, I resell to collect for free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I didn't say there IS anything wrong with flipping games. I just disagreed with his statement that it benefitted anyone who wasn't in it for the money.

No need to get defensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the collectors and the gamers are the ones getting screwed here by price inflation.
    Yeah, that's not true. Sealed collectors are the only individuals that can claim that these sales have any bearing on their collections.

Why would a gamer give two shits what a sealed title commands on eBay? All of these titles sell for $20 or less loose regardless of what their acrylic counterparts sell for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by BeaglePuss View Post
    Yeah, that's not true. Sealed collectors are the only individuals that can claim that these sales have any bearing on their collections.

Why would a gamer give two shits what a sealed title commands on eBay? All of these titles sell for $20 or less loose regardless of what their acrylic counterparts sell for.
    To deal with all the "this only hurts the buyer and benefits the seller" statements in one swoop...

Anyone who's bought from a pawn shop, flea market, used game seller - whatever - has had the wonderful experience of having an eBay listing or final value price thrown in their face at some point as "this is what an item is worth"

Anomalous listings like this WILL affect all of this pricing at some level - from a seller seeing it and throwing up a listing at an inflated price in the hopes of riding the price wave to a valuation site compiling final sale prices of similar titles and skewing its pricing accordingly. This is where it affects everyone.

I've often said and I stand by my belief that anything is worth what a person is willing to pay for it - to that person, and that person alone.

Fluke sales will always happen. People are dumb. People have problems. The collector mindset is often characteristic of many other issues.

MY GOD PAWP ITZ N ORIGNAL NINTENDER THOSE ARE LIKE SIX GRAN ON EBAYS!

Addendum: I'm aware the market eventually corrects itself from these issues, but in the meantime we all have to contend with people overvaluing - and that's just a pain the ass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I understand your stance, I don't agree with it. These high-end sealed sales have taken place for some time now (years), while loose Black Box titles haven't increased more than a few dollars over past decade.

I agree that there will be plenty of morons overpricing their goods as a result of these sales (We've all seen it happen on Pawn Stars and Storage Wars), but they have yet to have a real effect on loose game sales. I'm not big into speculating, so I'll be worried when it actually happens.

For the time being I'll just scoop 'em up for cheap, slab them, and make the $billions$.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I see both points.

Skaar is making the point that inflation of the hobby in general, not just sealed sales, hurts the collector / gamer. That's true to an extent, when a Little Samson cart goes from $100 to $300, someone who wants to play it is genuinely "hurt". Of course there's still emulation, but most gamers prefer original hardware, especially on platformers which require good timing / coordination.

However, the collector also benefits from the value spikes, as their collection is now worth more. The argument then becomes "But if the person is truly a collector, they aren't selling so they never see a penny of the increase". That's also true, but how many times have we seen a collector sell out for a true need? Loss of a job / loss of housing / death of a family member / etc. Collectors don't always plan to sell out, but when they have to, valuation does matter. So the inflation helps them.

And Beagle's point is that high end sealed sales does not affect loose cartridges, which I completely agree with. You might get a bonehead trying to sell used stuff at new prices, but it's not like you have to search for an eternity to find a $2 NES Tennis cartridge. You are merely inconvenienced by having to sift through a couple more bogus listings to find something at the price you want to pay.

Just my .02. The only one truly hurt by inflated prices are the brand new collectors who have nothing. But normal gamers / collectors also benefit by having their games increase in value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

One could say that a lot of the people who "sell out" have not properly evaluated their spending ON their hobbies...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    I agree about the bubble and nintendoage, I got banned from there because the moderators didnt like me, I didnt do anything wrong, but the mods there choose sides and pick friends and will ban you if they dont like your opinion. And the whole VGA thing is just pathetic in my opinion. The prices are stupid and even the grading is stupid, just like baseball card grading.
    I agree nintendoage is a creepy website, and they basically have a set group of friends that dictate what the overall all opinion of collecting should be. If you don't agree with that or fall into line then you're out. I also find it funny that the main "banning mod" is some kind of Boston tough guy that posts videos of his "boxing matches" yet he's stays skinny as hell because he's sacred to move up in weight and box with the big boys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q30-...m0U7LzYdpblfs=

I mean come on you think because you joined a boxing gym and you participate in there "tournaments" you're a tough guy? You're a collector (allegedly) yet your youtube channel is full of your sparring matches. Do you know how many boxing gyms there are in the country and there all the same you train for 6 months and if you want you can participate in there annual "tournaments"... Go to fighttips or boxingscene or sherdog if you want to show off your "skills" but trying to flex your E-Alphaness on a gaming website... And yes i'm aware that his partner in crime is bagelpuss.

They will be the first ones to "backdoor" someone and the first to justify why when they did it and that it was ok. Yet if someone else does it it's wrong... Him and his brother are part of the reason the community has become creepy and splintered , buying up prototypes and selling them in reproduction form for profit. And there always "Above everyone" like yea there collectors yet there not nerds because they box... Don't get me started on the rest of the creepy dudes over on NA. And no I've never been banned I'm a long time lurker that never felt it was a real community so i rarely post.

This collecting community as a whole has never felt more vapid and empty, most of the time when people post there "finds of the day" there just links to there youtube channels so they can get more hits. And as game collecting has become more popular it's become more empty, everyone and there mom is a re-seller now. Craigslist is a shell of what it used to be.

And from what i have seen as a whole people in this community are becoming much more inverted about what and how they collect, people get very jealous over other peoples finds or collection a lot more so then say 5 years ago. And WTF is with everyone over at NA keeping secrets about what they paid for stuff. It's a video game, they have no problem showing it off but don't tell anyone how much you paid for it what is that all about?

Do you really think people care that you decide to redo your bathroom instead of keeping a game sealed in a case? Does it make you feel better if people know that while you collect games you're not that "hardcore" because you redid your bathroom instead of keeping the Flintstones on your shelf. You and your brother act like you're above collecting but you guys seem to always be the first ones to e-prove yourselves that you're still cool...

The entire collecting community is a shell of what it used to be, more people seem to spend there time bitching about what everyone is paying for stuff and what is "right" or "wrong" ethically. Yet EVERYONE does and will backdoor people on ebay or craigslist given the opportunity or chance. At this point i say do what ever the fuck you want as long as it's legal and don't let anyone convince you what is right or wrong when collecting video games...
    Last edited by Panzerfuzion; 04-11-2012 at 12:38 PM.