Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Default Recent NES black box sales

You guys paying attention to any of this? Holy shit !

look at some of these recent graded black box sales on eBay

Baseball 25k
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/251033234543

Pro Wrestling 20k
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/250917548523

Stack up 18k
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/160777087600

Duck Hunt 17k
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/300690124628

Wrecking crew 14k
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/180855993296

also an ungraded Donkey Kong 7500
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/170818714175

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Idiocy on eBay and with black box games is nothing new.

Thank NA.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, and I get yelled at asking for 1/3 of the price for one of a kind game!

Sealed collecting...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks over at a sealed Tennis and wonders how it would do...
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    Yep, and I get yelled at asking for 1/3 of the price for one of a kind game!
    Anyone can program a one of a kind game in their basement, one of a kind doesn't mean shit for value. Some kid's random refrigerator art isn't as valuable as a numbered limited edition lithograph from a well known/respected artist. Where does the quality of your game fall under?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Anyone can program a one of a kind game in their basement, one of a kind doesn't mean shit for value. Some kid's random refrigerator art isn't as valuable as a numbered limited edition lithograph from a well known/respected artist. Where does the quality of your game fall under?
    I'm pretty sure none of that plays into comparison for sealed stuff. Rarity for certain games does equate to value in some cases, but not some in others. The one I refer to is a commercial game. Same reasoning as to why Gauntlet with a label would go for a ton of money for Atari 2600, the rarity alone...

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So being that I see these pop up on ebay for retarded prices...as a Sega guy...I have to ask..whats so special about the black boxes?
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Are you saying that you would rather own a sealed Duck Hunt cartridge over the unreleased one of a kind Socks prototype?

Not talking about reselling just owning.

Imagine you could find one of these items at a flee market for $10 but would not resell it. You can only have one so which one would you pick?

I'm not trying to bait you. I'm really curious which one you would rather own.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    Are you saying that you would rather own a sealed Duck Hunt cartridge over the unreleased one of a kind Socks prototype?

Imagine you could find one of these items at a flee market for $10 but would not resell it. You can only have one so which one would you pick?

Not for owning, just for reselling. I'd rather have some unique prototype to keep, as long as the game was playable. Even if this Socks proto was priced at $200 I wouldn't buy it to keep, that's too much money to spend on a single game. For $10, yeah I'd keep it. That's pretty much my limit on SNES games.

Even for games worth hundreds, if I found a copy for $50 I'd keep it until I found a cheaper one. Then I'd sell the more expensive one to recoup the money. I wouldn't be done until I found a cheaper one to keep, I just don't like spending much on games.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Genjackson's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    PSN
    guyonthedock_js

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post

I'd go with the duck hunt. Prototypes are cool, but I would want something I could easily turn a profit on. There's a bigger market for duck hunt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Things are worth as much as they can be sold for. I don't blame him trying to maximize value out of a rabid and delusional market.

I'd blame the idiot who forks over the cash.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My understanding from a thread on another site is this is all one guy and he goes back after he hits the BIN and negotiates the real price. Having said that, I understand that he is still way overpaying, at least compared to recent previous sales of the same titles. Sadly, this happens in every hobby from time to time and I suppose if there is any positive it's that somebody made a nice profit and it has no impact on the rest of us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    My understanding from a thread on another site is this is all one guy and he goes back after he hits the BIN and negotiates the real price. Having said that, I understand that he is still way overpaying, at least compared to recent previous sales of the same titles. Sadly, this happens in every hobby from time to time and I suppose if there is any positive it's that somebody made a nice profit and it has no impact on the rest of us.
    I haven't read all of the responses so I apologize if this has already been asked. So how does a person bid on this many items and then expect the seller to negotiate on what he's really planning to pay and still keep his eBay account? A bid is a bid.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Hindsight is everything. Instead of spending money to go to technical college several years ago, I wish I had invested that money in Apple. I'd be better off today. However, I didn't and that's tough fucking shit.

Same with games. That's why I'm thankful my mother bought me everything Sega and Sony as a kid; they're two of the few brands I collect. Prices are (usually) cheap and merchandise is readily available.

With regards to hoarding, I'm guilty of it too. I'm already hoarding certain items from this generation; good investments 5-10 years from now when the economy (should) be great and today's kids will have jobs and disposable incomes.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"I haven't read all of the responses so I apologize if this has already been asked. So how does a person bid on this many items and then expect the seller to negotiate on what he's really planning to pay and still keep his eBay account? A bid is a bid. "
    Ebay gives the buyer much too much power now

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I haven't read all of the responses so I apologize if this has already been asked. So how does a person bid on this many items and then expect the seller to negotiate on what he's really planning to pay and still keep his eBay account? A bid is a bid.
    That's quite simple. You're dealing with large numbers; if someone is throwing five figures my way, I'm going to tolerate a higher level of assholishness because that's a lot of money.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the moral of this thread is to require immediate payments.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Things are worth as much as they can be sold for. I don't blame him trying to maximize value out of a rabid and delusional market.

I'd blame the idiot who forks over the cash.
    This. +1.
    I wonder if the buyers are winners of the recent Mega Millions drawing? Seems like they have money to burn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe I'm too suspicious, but something about this seems like bullsh*t to me.

"Who is selling and who is buying these games?" This is what I want to know. Is it so hard to believe that some team of entrepreneurs (less than reputable businessmen) is working in cahoots to inflate the market value of these sealed games. Couldn't friend X "buy" friend Y's sealed games on eBay with no real money actually exchanging hands. Is this so far fetched? If collector think these sealed black box NES games can sell for around $20,000 dollars, they will reason that buying one for a $1,000 is an absolute steal.

People can buy whatever they want for whatever they want to pay for it, but this just seems "off" to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Couldn't friend X "buy" friend Y's sealed games on eBay with no real money actually exchanging hands. Is this so far fetched? If collector think these sealed black box NES games can sell for around $20,000 dollars, they will reason that buying one for a $1,000 is an absolute steal.
    Wouldn't they still get charged a hefty ebay final value fee on that though.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...