Thread: Recent NES black box sales

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Default Recent NES black box sales

You guys paying attention to any of this? Holy shit !

look at some of these recent graded black box sales on eBay

Baseball 25k
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/251033234543

Pro Wrestling 20k
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/250917548523

Stack up 18k
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/160777087600

Duck Hunt 17k
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/300690124628

Wrecking crew 14k
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/180855993296

also an ungraded Donkey Kong 7500
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/170818714175

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Idiocy on eBay and with black box games is nothing new.

Thank NA.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, and I get yelled at asking for 1/3 of the price for one of a kind game!

Sealed collecting...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks over at a sealed Tennis and wonders how it would do...
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    Yep, and I get yelled at asking for 1/3 of the price for one of a kind game!
    Anyone can program a one of a kind game in their basement, one of a kind doesn't mean shit for value. Some kid's random refrigerator art isn't as valuable as a numbered limited edition lithograph from a well known/respected artist. Where does the quality of your game fall under?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Things are worth as much as they can be sold for. I don't blame him trying to maximize value out of a rabid and delusional market.

I'd blame the idiot who forks over the cash.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My understanding from a thread on another site is this is all one guy and he goes back after he hits the BIN and negotiates the real price. Having said that, I understand that he is still way overpaying, at least compared to recent previous sales of the same titles. Sadly, this happens in every hobby from time to time and I suppose if there is any positive it's that somebody made a nice profit and it has no impact on the rest of us.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Things are worth as much as they can be sold for. I don't blame him trying to maximize value out of a rabid and delusional market.

I'd blame the idiot who forks over the cash.
    This. +1.
    I wonder if the buyers are winners of the recent Mega Millions drawing? Seems like they have money to burn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe I'm too suspicious, but something about this seems like bullsh*t to me.

"Who is selling and who is buying these games?" This is what I want to know. Is it so hard to believe that some team of entrepreneurs (less than reputable businessmen) is working in cahoots to inflate the market value of these sealed games. Couldn't friend X "buy" friend Y's sealed games on eBay with no real money actually exchanging hands. Is this so far fetched? If collector think these sealed black box NES games can sell for around $20,000 dollars, they will reason that buying one for a $1,000 is an absolute steal.

People can buy whatever they want for whatever they want to pay for it, but this just seems "off" to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Couldn't friend X "buy" friend Y's sealed games on eBay with no real money actually exchanging hands. Is this so far fetched? If collector think these sealed black box NES games can sell for around $20,000 dollars, they will reason that buying one for a $1,000 is an absolute steal.
    Wouldn't they still get charged a hefty ebay final value fee on that though.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Unless they canceled the transaction, which would probably set off some alarms since eBay wouldn't get their cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

definitely some kind of bullshit, nobody would pay pay that kind of cash for those games. nobody is truly that stupid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, the buyer has a habit of clicking the BIN and then negotiating down afterwards. I'm not sure if any of the most recent sales have been paid for, but he at least paid $7,000 for a VGA 90 QUALIFIED (Not Sealed) Super Mario Bros., and several other expensive games. Like a $2,500 VGA 90 Castlevania II. And those sellers have confirmed that payment was received, and both parties left feedback.

There's no conspiracy here. It's just that someone showed up with very stupid amounts of money, probably from an inheritance or lotto winning. I've heard his grammar is mediocre at best, and his communication is rough. It's not some self-made millionaire businessman or anything.

This amount of spending cannot continue indefinitely, so many collectors are faced with the tough decision of selling their favorite collectibles at insanely high prices, or keeping them in the collection. Almost everyone has a price for everything, so many people are being tested.

People like this usually disappear as quickly as they arrive, so it should die down (hopefully).
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of these sales have been confirmed by the sellers over on NA. From what people are saying, it appears to be one guy, and I don't believe he's part of NA or any other forum for that matter.

Having sold a sealed title in the five-figure range (and numerous others in the four-figure range), I can assure you these sales do indeed exist. Would I ever spend that type of money on a sealed NES game? Fuck No!!!! But you're damn right I'll sell one for stupid money. I'd rather have a brand new bathroom than a game in an acrylic case, but to each their own I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    definitely some kind of bullshit, nobody would pay pay that kind of cash for those games. nobody is truly that stupid.

Yes they are. I've seen it in the "Collecting" market my whole life. I have collected Comic Books since I was a kid and lived through the boom of the 1990's. The stupid amounts people were paying for "Rare" items that had over a Million print run was stupid. Market crashed and all those "Stupid" prices dropped to pennies. Same thing happened to Baseball cards in the 90's. Move to the late 90's and early 2000's and Beanie Babies. Same damn thing. Stupid prices for ugly little bean bag toys. Now, you can't give the damn things away. Remember Tickle Me Elmo? Zsu Zsu (SP?) Pets? "Collectors" always pay stupid amounts of money for crap that isn't really rare. It's all in the perception of the buyer. Then again, these are obviously people that have way too much damn money to spend on stupid crap they don't need. mind you, I understand playing games and keeping the ones you like and play, but buying a game just for the sake of owning it for no other reason than to just pop it on a shelf in a plastic box just to say you have something rare . . . I never did understand it. And before I get the argument about works of art and all that nonsense, remember, art serves it's purpose; It was meant to be looked at and appreciated for it's brilliance and workmanship. Comics are meant to be read, toys to play with, and Video Games are meant to be played. Plain and simple, nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeaglePuss View Post
    I'd rather have a brand new bathroom than a game in an acrylic case, but to each their own I suppose.
    Maybe he's laying acrylic tiles in his bathroom.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeaglePuss View Post
    I'd rather have a brand new bathroom than a game in an acrylic case, but to each their own I suppose.
    And I thought that I was the only one.

I would honestly enjoy having any of those black box games sealed. I would. I just couldn't justify spending over $20 for them. If they're sealed, they're decorations, and I don't pay stupid money for decorations. I would, however, spend semi-stupid money for a game that I wanted to play. And by semi-stupid I mean that I will continue to pass on Earthbound until it is going for around its original market price. I ain't spending $100+ plus for a video game.
    Last edited by treismac; 04-04-2012 at 02:14 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Anyone can program a one of a kind game in their basement, one of a kind doesn't mean shit for value. Some kid's random refrigerator art isn't as valuable as a numbered limited edition lithograph from a well known/respected artist. Where does the quality of your game fall under?
    I'm pretty sure none of that plays into comparison for sealed stuff. Rarity for certain games does equate to value in some cases, but not some in others. The one I refer to is a commercial game. Same reasoning as to why Gauntlet with a label would go for a ton of money for Atari 2600, the rarity alone...

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So being that I see these pop up on ebay for retarded prices...as a Sega guy...I have to ask..whats so special about the black boxes?
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Genesaturn View Post
    So being that I see these pop up on ebay for retarded prices...as a Sega guy...I have to ask..whats so special about the black boxes?
    They were the very original box and label style that Nintendo was using for their first party games. many of them were reissued later on with different labels. That's it.