You're confusing legitimate business practices with good intentions and no guarantees. Every one of those small businesses you listed either raised the capital from investors or took out loans or the founders put up their own money. Here, this company that has done little or nothing since being announced several years ago wants $500K for a vague promise that if they get it, other games may be released. Unfortunately, that isn't how Kickstarter works and such promises likely violate their terms and conditions. All anyone is promised for making a contribution is whatever is listed on the Kickstarter site. You can hope and wish that Vic will pursue other projects, but the $500K raised can't be used for them and it certainly doesn't guarantee they will happen. I'll be honest, I supported Wasteland 2 and the Tim Schaeffer project, but this latest announcement has really turned me against these campaigns for good. There is zero reason this needs to be done as a Kickstarter. None. Take preorders like everyone else and if you have a legitimate business model, find a publisher to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
I'm sure the $500,000 kickstarter isn't just for Class of Heroes getting a physical release.

I mean, despite the list of crap that Tim Schafer has released this gen, and again, this is going by only playing Brutal Legend and Costume Quest, Tim Schafer received over a million in kickstarter without anything. Not even a name. Atleast this kickstarter will get us a physical copy of Class of Heroes as well as the possibility of other localizations.

There are a lot of games for the PSP that I'd like to see come over, and to hear Vic say that, it's something that'd definitely make me want this project to succeed, with or without extra stuff. While not the developer, Working Designs has always had a track record of localizing good or great games and for the most part the localizations were very well done.

I mean seriously. Look at all the shit that comes out these days, yet you're criticizing a company that released good games and wants to make a come back. The thing I see is that GaijinWorks is a small publishers that needs to get off the ground, and what do most small publishers do? The smaller publishers usually try to put an emphasis on releasing good niche titles that otherwise wouldn't be released. Working Designs, Agetec, Atlus, XSeed, etc. We probably would have never seen Arc the Lad 2 unless it was for Working Designs, as well as a lot of other great games, but Arc the Lad 2 is one of my favorite games and I thank them for that. Who knows if we'd have ever seen anything From Software(aside from Demon's/Dark Souls) or any of the RPG Maker games if not for Agetec, and while the publisher isn't really worth following any longer, they released a lot of amazing games for the PSX and PS2. To me, FromSoftware and Agetec have always been synonymous, as most of the FromSoftware library was published by Agetec in the west until after the PS2, so even though Agetec didn't make the games, I was still a fan. Then there's Atlus, which also were a very small publisher in the west during the 8bit, 16bit, and 32/64bit era. They gained a lot of popularity and now half of what they release is crap while the other half is what made them what they are today, or atleast somewhat. Then look at XSeed. Anyone remember what their first game was? I think it was Shadow Hearts From the New World, and while I don't care much for the title, they started with that game and have been one of the best publishers this gen.

Another good thing about companies as publishers rather than those like Schafer who want to develop their own games, is that there are plenty of good unlocalized games that we haven't received and they can attempt to go for any of those titles. Where as Tim Schafer is going to be set on developing his own title which may or may not be a piece of shit.