Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turbo Express not working. No power. please help!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For example, the backlight is driven by T500 and/or T900, which have 4 neighboring caps, of which two are 100uf parts that leak profoundly. There are also a few more related to the chopper that drives it.

It is possible that the backlight tube is burned out or a transformer has failed, but there's no point in troubleshooting until the caps are ruled out. They are a 100% failure point and should be replaced wholesale.
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

TE Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    For example, the backlight is driven by T500 and/or T900, which have 4 neighboring caps, of which two are 100uf parts that leak profoundly. There are also a few more related to the chopper that drives it.

It is possible that the backlight tube is burned out or a transformer has failed, but there's no point in troubleshooting until the caps are ruled out. They are a 100% failure point and should be replaced wholesale.
    awsome man! I found the T500 and T900 box looking things, the capacitors around them are surrounded by some silicone stuff. How do I remove that white silicone? It has to be removed to get to the capacitors and to clean the board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What I end up doing is:

1: Rotate the caps back and forth until the legs break off. I hold on to the cap body with pliers and make them do the twist, just a little at first, and then rotating further and further each time. Once they're off, you can remove the wafers, any remaining leg, and clean / prep the solder pads.

-- As an aside, I've changed thousands and thousands of damaged surface mount caps. This twisting & leg breaking method, for me, has the lowest rate of pulled or damaged solder pads.

2: With the cap bodies out of the way, more of the silicone is exposed, and you can gently peel it away with your finger, or break off chunks using needle noise pliers or a hemostat. That silicone is covering several surface-mount coils and other parts, so don't go crazy trying to peel it off of the PCB. You shouldn't need to remove much, just enough to clean the pads and install the new parts.
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

TE Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

^ thanks so much man!! gonna go do this right now