Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stacking Consoles: Good Idea?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Stacking Consoles: Good Idea?

so i don't have too much room and am trying to condense space by stacking consoles. I plan on trying to place the xbox 360 on top of the ps3 slim. Anyone ever done this? Does the ps3's curved top make it hard for the 360 to sit properly?
    I would do ps3 on top of the 360, but then the ps3 would be blocking the vents on the top of the 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

The 360 would be very unstable on top of the PS3. I wouldn't stack either on top of each other.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Default Please note: The following should be considered light-hearted ribbing

Quote Originally Posted by RetroRich View Post
    so i don't have too much room and am trying to condense space by stacking consoles. I plan on trying to place the xbox 360 on top of the ps3 slim. Anyone ever done this?
    I'm trying to imagine the living situation that has you so confused and desperate that the only solution to your space problem is stacking your heat sensitive, non-lead-soldered current generation consoles on top of each other. In my head, you were living in a dark, ancient house filled with forbidden books and priceless scrolls. But who are we kidding, here: if your plan to 'save space' is to stack consoles on top of one another, those aren't going to be books or scrolls taking up your space. Instead, I'm betting on pizza boxes and cat litter.

My favorite part is right here:

I plan on trying to place the xbox 360 on top of the ps3 slim. Anyone ever done this?
    Just a heads up: assuming you haven't lost one of the consoles in the pizza boxes and cat litter, you can go ahead and try this RIGHT NOW. You don't need a PLAN. You don't need to hire sherpas, or take out insurance. I think what you'll find, after you finish locating the consoles and pay the sherpas and insurance premiums and so on, is that these things don't stack very well, because they are all curvy and designed and so on, and don't listen to what your sherpa says. He doesn't know shit about stacking things.

It turns out the PS3 and 360 are not pizza boxes. They stack badly. If you'd done this stupid thing yourself, which would have taken literally seconds even if you'd hired sherpas, you would have seen the results and saved everyone a bunch of trouble and time.

I would do ps3 on top of the 360, but then the ps3 would be blocking the vents on the top of the 360.
    Do not do this thing either.

Here's what you do, because this is obviously one of those sort of half thought out posts that everyone regrets later: You stack the consoles on pizza boxes. You do this instead of the retarded thing you were talking about earlier because there are several obvious things that heat-generating, optical disc spinning media center consoles hate, and one of them is not being more or less level, and another one is fucking heat.

You know what you do? TURN THE CONSOLES SO THEY ARE VERTICAL. This is the best solution for you, unless you throw out some boxes or cat litter. They are at least designed to operate that way, you'll save space for more pizza boxes, and they'll likely be more level, and they won't fall off of each other into the sea of cat litter, and they won't be spewing heat into each other.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    You know what you do? TURN THE CONSOLES SO THEY ARE VERTICAL. This is the best solution for you, unless you throw out some boxes or cat litter. They are at least designed to operate that way, you'll save space for more pizza boxes, and they'll likely be more level, and they won't fall off of each other into the sea of cat litter, and they won't be spewing heat into each other.
    I can't speak about the PS3, but for the XB360 I believe this to be suboptimal for the lifespan of the console as it does not dissipate heat as efficiently when it is vertical.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SingeyDasBomb
    PSN
    Singe

Forgive G-Boobie, he's the trolliest troll that ever trolled a troll.

Although pizza boxes are your best bet.
    PSN: Singe125
    Live: SingeyDasBomb

AKA Sheng Long

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RetroRich View Post
    Does the ps3's curved top make it hard for the 360 to sit properly?
    No, of course not. What would ever give you such a silly idea?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find the best thing to do is hang them. Don't think of it as stacking on top of each other, it's actually hanging one underneath the other.

You do need a plan though. It needs to be well laid out with diagrams, exact measurements and if possible, funding sources. Contact your local government office, there are also rebates and kickbacks for the the construction you have planned. you may be able to hire people to help and get the government to cover labour costs.

At the very least you could open up your place as a tourist attraction. "Come see the Xbox sitting on top of the PS3! 42nd wonder of the world!"

Or what you could do is take them out of their cases, that should save some room, and keep things cooler too!

By the way, if you do manage to "Condense Space" let me know, I think there are some scientists that would love to know how to do this, It may involve a black hole though, and if that's the case, you'll have tonnes of room.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    I can't speak about the PS3, but for the XB360 I believe this to be suboptimal for the lifespan of the console as it does not dissipate heat as efficiently when it is vertical.
    I think it's better for the PS3 to be in the vertical position, atleast that's what I've heard for the older models.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Quote Originally Posted by CelticJobber View Post
    I think it's better for the PS3 to be in the vertical position, atleast that's what I've heard for the older models.
    Really? This is news to me. What pisses me off about having the PS3 (or the fat PS2 for that matter) vertical is that the disc comes out on the left-hand side of it so if you're right-handed you either have to contort yourself into weird shapes or suddenly become ambidextrous in order to fish the discs out. Weird design choice from a country where the vast majority of people (>99%) are right-handed.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

if you were really serious about saving room and dissipating heat, you'd knock out a support structure behind the tv and build them straight into the wall then reseal it with contact cement or primer or someshit, heat no longer becomes an issue, in fact quite the opposite, as it helps insulate your house during these harsh winter times, with the money you save on heating costs both systems should pretty much pay themselves off within a few years!
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I've been concerned about post quality in this forum for a while now, the replies in this thread have helped allay my fears. Well done.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Don't listen to the haters op. You stack those fuckers!

Also, if you plan on hooking up a sega cd unit make sure it goes on top and is plugged into the same power strip as the 360 ans PS3.

I await a photo...

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    Oh really? I stand corrected, then. OP, stack those fuckers. That's clearly a much better solution, since running your consoles vertically is "suboptimal for the(ir) lifespan". I guess the sherpas were right.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

its unfortunate that you dont have a wii, because i was just about to suggest the ultimate space saving alignment, right...the wii right...and the xbox, ps3, they all have intake and exhaust ports, so what i was going to propose, was that you stack them laterally across your floor and stitch them ass to mouth, ass to mouth, that way you harness their true fucking energy saving potential

the wii does the breathing , when it inhales it exhales hot air into the ps3's mouth, this hot air mixes with the already hot air inside the ps3's belly and a rapid expansion of gasses occurs wherein its all forceably expelled into the fucking xbox 360's hungrily waiting mouth, then with its vastly superior fans, some centrifugal magic or some such occurs and its allllllllllllllll released harmlessly into the atmosphere, for the gods to breathe on their magic clouds

ikea & centipede have shown us the way, now the question is, are you a bad enough dude to save room?
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    Really? This is news to me. What pisses me off about having the PS3 (or the fat PS2 for that matter) vertical is that the disc comes out on the left-hand side of it so if you're right-handed you either have to contort yourself into weird shapes or suddenly become ambidextrous in order to fish the discs out. Weird design choice from a country where the vast majority of people (>99%) are right-handed.
    If you can't manage to take a disk out of a fat PS2 or a PS3 while it is vertical using your left hand then please don't try anything that really requires skill.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I highly doubt that you don't actually have space. Things can always be rearranged to accomodate for more. Otherwise you oughtta just get some cardbboard boxes and pack away a bunch of stuff that just sets and collects dust, like books, papers, and other junk. Is there really anybody who doesn't own a bookshelf of some sort?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Yakapucci View Post
    If you can't manage to take a disk out of a fat PS2 or a PS3 while it is vertical using your left hand then please don't try anything that really requires skill.
    Hence why I became ambidextrous.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I sometimes stack systems when it's logical to do so. For example, I have my US PS1 on top of my Japanese PS2. But stacking system that aren't flat, have vents that would be blocked, or are prone to overheating... err, no.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always heard "digital press is filled with assholes" but never believed it. Now i do.

anyways, if you guys really want to see what i'm dealing with in terms of space, here ya go. You can see why i'd want to stack the ps3 and 360.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8471/img0445sn.jpg