Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The kid succeeds: Bastion sales exceed 500K [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb The kid succeeds: Bastion sales exceed 500K [Joystiq]

It's been a critical success and now developer Supergiant Games has revealed Bastion is also a commercial success. The recent Steam and Xbox Live Arcade sales helped to push Bastion over that 500,000 mark, the developer's blog states.

"When we set out to make Bastion, a sales number like that seemed astronomical to us, so it feels great to have hit that mark," creative director (and Bastion writer) Greg Kasavin said. "It goes to show that a lot of folks out there like what we're doing and want us to keep going, which is great, because we intend to stick together as a team and do just that." Considering the universal praise for the studio's first game, we can all agree that's a very good thing.The kid succeeds: Bastion sales exceed 500K originally appeared on Joystiq on Sat, 31 Dec 2011 03:40:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Americans love mediocrity.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chilimac View Post
    *cue the voice of Bastion's "The Stranger"*

The Poster seems real cynical. Can't believe others like a game more than him. Takes a cheap jab at Americans. Can't say an American would do any different. Still, makes a man wonder what the world is turning into. Well, the world before The Calamity anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How so?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

You are clearly a quality poster and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You're wrong. I don't like anything.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    How so?
    The graphics and gameplay look and feel cheap. The narrator doesn't go well with the graphical styling. The combat is dull and monotonous, and your attacks don't feel like they're connecting; you don't feel the impact. I knew immediately upon playing the demo that it was a crap game. But I also knew that it would be very successful one, because it was part of the Summer of Arcade, and therefore it would be receiving a great deal of attention from the gaming press, which would result in thousands of clueless morons buying it.

A typical American is a weak-minded person with no taste who can't think for themselves and needs to be told what to think and what to buy. If a thousand people tell them that turds taste like chocolate, then they will think the same. Just look at the movies and music that is popular with Americans these days. Complete garbage! What is successful is what is popular. And what is popular is whatever gets the most attention from the media. And what gets the most attention from the media is whatever the publishers decide to throw the most money at for "marketing". It's brainwashing. And it works well on stupid people.

Look at the popular games... most of them barely have any gameplay, they play more like movies, and they have no replay value. They're not challenging, and they do not require any skill or intelligence to complete. And there's a reason for that, because the people that these games are designed for are imbeciles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gee, why don't you tell us how you really feel...

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

A typical American is a weak-minded person with no taste who can't think for themselves and needs to be told what to think and what to buy. If a thousand people tell them that turds taste like chocolate, then they will think the same. Just look at the movies and music that is popular with Americans these days. Complete garbage! What is successful is what is popular. And what is popular is whatever gets the most attention from the media. And what gets the most attention from the media is whatever the publishers decide to throw the most money at for "marketing". It's brainwashing. And it works well on stupid people.
    What's that smell? Could it be...

Missile envy?

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

The graphics and gameplay look and feel cheap. The narrator doesn't go well with the graphical styling. The combat is dull and monotonous, and your attacks don't feel like they're connecting; you don't feel the impact. I knew immediately upon playing the demo that it was a crap game. But I also knew that it would be very successful one, because it was part of the Summer of Arcade, and therefore it would be receiving a great deal of attention from the gaming press, which would result in thousands of clueless morons buying it.

Look at the popular games... most of them barely have any gameplay, they play more like movies, and they have no replay value. They're not challenging, and they do not require any skill or intelligence to complete. And there's a reason for that, because the people that these games are designed for are imbeciles.
    You're fun. I like the part where you're not only a bad troll but not entirely in command of the English language either.

I'm an American and I do not suffer mediocre trolls. Try harder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So no one here agrees with me that today's movies, music and video games are crap? I hope you can at least agree that today's video games are crap, because if even classic video game fans aren't smart enough to recognize how far the quality of games has declined in recent years, then there's no hope whatsoever for the industry of ever returning to a time when gameplay was more important than graphics, replay value was more important than length, challenge was more important than story-telling, and video games were made for people who were smart enough to discern the difference between a good game and a bad one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

Hey, I like the old stuff more than the new. But, you didn't say 'modern stuff sucks'. You said 'Americans suck'. So piss off.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

So no one here agrees with me that today's movies, music and video games are crap?
    I agree with this, but it's not just Americans that buy into the media and all the hype and then continue to sing praises on games and movies that clearly suck.

People have to know what's out there to be interested in it regardless. So if there's no media then more than likely no word on anything will spread unless they happen to stumble across it. It's that most people watch these high profile movies or play these high profile games, and despite how unenjoyable they are they try and find some sort of redeeming quality, because not only did they probably pay $10 for a movie or $60 for a game, these same items are being overrated everywhere else so they don't want to feel different.

Or it could just be that everything has continued to get worse and worse, so now that it's the norm. When the 360, PS3, and Wii were released, places like IGN Gamespot, etc, etc, instead of comparing games to the prior generation were comparing the games to other launch titles and giving them ratings based on that. In my opinion they're doing the same thing as saying "Dragon Warrior is the first console RPG so we're going to have to go easy on rating it." In comparison to this gen, they're pretty much saying. "This PS3 game is a piece of shit, but it's the best piece of shit on the system, so, 8/10." They still compare games that are based on that specific console, but now you'll see an 8/10 game released now, and while it may not deserve the 8/10, it's far better than the garbage they rated at launch.

That being said, there are still good games on the systems released this gen, and there still are good movies now and then. But yeah. Most of it sucks. I do actually like a lot of the music released now days though. Can't really say that music sucks.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-02-2012 at 03:12 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

So no one here agrees with me that today's movies, music and video games are crap? I hope you can at least agree that today's video games are crap, because if even classic video game fans aren't smart enough to recognize how far the quality of games has declined in recent years, then there's no hope whatsoever for the industry of ever returning to a time when gameplay was more important than graphics, replay value was more important than length, challenge was more important than story-telling, and video games were made for people who were smart enough to discern the difference between a good game and a bad one.
    I disagree with every point you just made. Not because of a differing of opinion, but because you're flat out wrong, know you are, and continue to troll. Poorly.

Step up your game, son.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Who the hell do you think you are, calling me American? :P

Excuse us if we liked a game that didn't involve shooting people during cutscenes, and that has a good narrative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I agree with this, but it's not just Americans that buy into the media and all the hype.
    True, but I believe Americans to be more easily manipulated into buying crappy things than other people from other parts of the world. And I believe it is because they are less intelligent. I have no proof, other I know Americans because I live among them, so I know very well how dumb they can be. Some of these people... I swear they're so stupid, I'm surprised they figured out how to inhale oxygen when the were born. So for now, I'll give people from outside the US the benefit of the doubt and assume they aren't as simple. They just can't be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

Change the word 'Americans' to 'Jews', and I bet you'd get banned.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

True, but I believe Americans to be more easily manipulated into buying crappy things than other people from other parts of the world. And I believe it is because they are less intelligent. I have no proof, other I know Americans because I live among them, so I know very well how dumb they can be. Some of these people... I swear they're so stupid, I'm surprised they figured out how to inhale oxygen when the were born. So for now, I'll give people from outside the US the benefit of the doubt and assume they aren't as simple. They just can't be.
    If you don't like America you can GIT OUT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    People have to know what's out there to be interested in it regardless. So if there's no media then more than likely no word on anything will spread unless they happen to stumble across it. It's that most people watch these high profile movies or play these high profile games, and despite how unenjoyable they are they try and find some sort of redeeming quality, because not only did they probably pay $10 for a movie or $60 for a game, these same items are being overrated everywhere else so they don't want to feel different.
    That's why I say, the further we get from the arcade era, the worse the games have gotten. Back then you depended on word-of-mouth, which trickled down from the knowledgeable hardcore gamer, instead of some corrupt media corp. And because many console games were arcade ports, if you wanted to test out a game before buying, all you had to do was pop in a quarter at the arcade. And because the arcade game business was so competitive and because anyone could test the games out so easily, if your game wasn't of high quality, everyone would soon know it, and it would die fast. This system insured that only the best games would find success.

But nowadays, video games are purposely being created to take advantage of ignorant people. They slap some crap game together, max out the graphics, place some pretty pictures on the back of the case, pay the professional reviewers to hype it up, and it sells millions.

But at some point you'd think people would catch on to this little trick. But so far, they haven't. And the only reason I can think of for them not figuring it out is... stupidity.

I do actually like a lot of the music released now days though. Can't really say that music sucks.
    Oh dear god, what are you listening to? Today's music is the worst of the three. It's embarrassingly bad. I wouldn't be caught dead listening to it. Every time I hear new music on the radio I can't help but laugh at how bad it is. I'm laughing at you right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

What I said before...

Nevermind. Your opinion is backed by strong evidence, solid logic, and you present it tactfully and intelligently. Thanks for coming to America. People like you are a great asset to the nation. Have you applied for any teaching jobs? If not, please do so. Because I would love to see my whole country thinking like you.