Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro Duo Portable - RDP 2 in 1 Portable System

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really hope it's the same, since it's going to be substantially cheaper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Good to know. I really wish there was more information at the moment. I'm currently a bit messed up right now regarding my access to video games so I'd be pretty interested in preordering this thing. But I don't want to commit nearly 100 bones to something without knowing a lot more about it, especially when there's some discrepancy over what the internals are.
    I'm with you on that, but I think I'm going to chance it anyway. If you don't want to, the safest bet you can do is to import a PokeFami DX itself. They sell for $140 plus shipping but at least that way you know you're getting the best SNES clone on the market currently. However, there are many questions I don't know the answers to regarding the PokeFami DX, namely if the cartridge port is large enough to fit the larger square SNES cartridges. The system is designed for the curved and streamlined Super Famicom carts. It may very well be that the PokeFami DX can't run SNES games.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Well, and it [RDP] obviously doesn't support the VRC6/VRC7 chip, but then again, only the Famicom did. In that review, he didn't exactly push the system. I wanted to see if Kirby Super Star, Starfox, Castlevania III/IV, or Super Mario RPG would work. What is the estimated date of arrival on this? I may wait for some reviews from other people in this thread.
    Well hold on a minute. Where are you getting that information from? It's entirely possible the RDP's NOAC can handle the Konami VRC series just fine. The question is if it can output expansion audio, which is unlikely but not impossible. Based on the RetroDuo console, I'd say it'll be able to play Castlevania III MMC5 no problem, and I'd be very very surprised if it had any issue with Super Caslevania IV or StarFox. Super Castlevania IV is purely based on the hardware of the SNES and StarFox will run on any clone. The FX chip that does the primitive polygon environments is internal to the cartridge. Kirby Super Star and Mario RPG are bos SA-1 games that have anti-piracy detection on anything but the original hardware, so they wont play on the RetroDuo Portable anymore than they will on any existing Super Famiclone.

the ETA for the RDP is Mid February 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I really hope it's the same, since it's going to be substantially cheaper.
    This is what makes me worry that the RDP is not the same as the PokeFamiDX. The systems sure sound similar and even look similar, but the over $30 price difference has me concerned. What we really need is confirmation and definitive proof that the PokeFamiDX are or are not the same.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well , Superboy is being sold for a higher price in Japan as well. I think it's around 8000 Yens. So I still keeps my hope up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can play US SNES cartridges with the pokeFAMI DX. The price in Japan is ¥ 7,300 ($94.00 USD) for the pokeFAMI DX , ¥ 2,480 ($29.00 USD) for the GAMEJOY Megadrive converter and ¥ 2,180 ($28.00 USD) for the GAMEJOY Famicom converter.The $30.00 difference is the profit of the reseller.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/GAMEJOY-JAPA.../dp/B005ZENZFI
    Last edited by Cryog; 01-11-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    http://www.retrogaming.com.ar/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Ah That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. Also GAMEJOY is the best name for anything ever.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    zin0099

is there a way to get the famicom to snes converter? not a big deal to me since i have a famicom to nes converter adapter anyway, but for anyone who would like to by famicom games the adapter would be nice to have!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Satoshi, I was referring to this video where Konami-enhanced audio is not supported by the PokeFamiDX, at the ten minute mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xz66T_I0Lk

Listen to Lagrange Point, especially. Not a big deal, I guess.

One thing I don't get is why can the NES adapter that comes with the RDP be used only with the RDP?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Yes I know what you're referring to, but you said the PokeFamiDX adapter doesn't support the VRC6/VRC7. If that were the case then the games wouldn't boot at all. The problem is the NOAC sends the expansion audio signals to ground or are incorrectly wired. That's a different problem than say, NOACs refusing to boot MMC5 games like Castlevania 3 or Uncharted Waters at all.

As for why the adapter that's going to come with the RDP won't work on other Super Famiclones or the real hardware, the answer should be pretty obvious - It must just be an NES 72 to SNES 64 pin adapter that doesn't do anything but allow NES games to fit into the cartridge port. The NOAC is inside the RDP itself, and that's what runs the NES games. Since what comes with the RDP is only a pin adapter without any insturction set and NOAC, it will do absolutely nothing when fitted into other consoles, even the RetroDuo as that system has a unique board for NES games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Retrobits was made easier to create a converter from 72 to 60 pin (NES to Famicom) and then 60 to 64 pin (Famicom to Super NES/Super Famicom). For that reason is the large size of the converter. And I think the NOAC is inside the converter, not the RDP.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the Nes adapter that comes with the Retro Duo Portable won't work properly on a SNES or other clone consoles is probably because maybe it lacks the little a/v out port (seen in the PokeFami DX videos) on the side of the adapter itself, so there would be no way to display the image or sound.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you are right. I liked your answer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Ahh yes that's certainly true. I should've remembered that since I own a Super 8/Tri Star which does much the same thing.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know , there is a way to mod the Retro Duo's power switch so that it is compatible with SA-1 games right?

I wonder if the same mod can be done to RDP....

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Are there any more answers forthcoming before this thing launches? Seems like once the video was posted that was the end of the Q&A session.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Will anyone do a review of the Genesis Adapter for the RDP??

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    zin0099

Quote Originally Posted by TKO View Post
    You know , there is a way to mod the Retro Duo's power switch so that it is compatible with SA-1 games right?

what do u mean? retroduo already does the sa-1 games like star ocean i can confirm this cuss i own the starocean game and a retroduo 2.0 system and it works

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

See, this is where a lot of people get caught up with Nintendo SA-1 games. Some WILL NOT WORK on any Super NES clone or even an original Super NES with a disabled lockout chip as those games check for the presence of a lockout chip. If a Nintendo SA-1 game works on a Super NES clone, it's because it doesn't check for the presence of a lockout chip. ALWAYS take Nintendo SA-1 compatibility with a grain of salt as people(and Famiclone manufacturers) make it seem like if one SA-1 game works, all the others will too. The only way around this would be to get into legal trouble with Nintendo and clone their lockout chip(the code in it is copyrighted) or somehow find a way around this and trick the games into thinking there's a lockout chip in the Super NES clone when there really isn't one.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    zin0099

ok didn't know that, thanx for the info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by TKO View Post

Do you mean the trick of flipping to the NES side, waiting about 5 seconds and then flipping to the SNES side or some sort of hardware mod? If you mean a hardware mod, please link it. This is something I'd like to take a look at.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Are there any more answers forthcoming before this thing launches? Seems like once the video was posted that was the end of the Q&A session.
    As much as it sucks, I kinda doubt it. The only person in this thread who can answer the questions raised about the RetroDuo Portable such as compatibility concerns etc is oldskoolfool, and I have a strong suspension he won't be saying a word on the subject, because saying anything can only harm sales of the unit. He's basically the sales rep for dasgames, an online retailer. It isn't in his own best interest to say anything beyond the bare minimum. It's understandable, but it's still horrible for the consumer.

We won't know the system in depth until I or someone else here gets one and throws it through the gauntlet. That being said, assuming the RDP has capabilities similar to the exiting RetroDuo, that means:

-It will support Castlevania III, Uncharted Waters, Gem Fighter and other MMC5 NES games
    -It will NOT work with Tengen's Rolling Thunder or the licensed Paperboy.
    -It will NOT output Famicom expansion audio
    -It will NOT play SA-1 games versions 1.1 or higher

Of course, this doesn't speak to several important other questions like

-If it IS different from the PokeFamiDX, how is it different?

then general questions:

-The quality of the LCD
    -The quality of composite video output
    -The audio of the audio output, both on the NES and SNES boards
    -Will this be a NOAC that supports Retrozone's NES Powerpak?
    -What kind of video is being sent to the LCD for SNES games? Is it composite like the FC-16 Go or is it S-video like the Supaboy? or is it actual true RGB?
    -Build quality concerns
    -Are the new production controllers awesome or terrible?
    -standalone adapters
    -other concerns

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Will anyone do a review of the Genesis Adapter for the RDP??
    Of course, but its far too early for any such review. I'd expect to see reviews cropping up in a month or two. I predict that there will be some minor audio differences (to people other than Ace) and the composite video output may be shit based on what we've seen in existing clones and even real Genesis hardware. I wouldn't expect Virtua racing to work or the thing to have much in the way of Master System Base Converter support either. Alos, who knows how they've mapped the Genesis controls to the SNES controller. It might be great, might be shit. Only time will tell

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    As much as it sucks, I kinda doubt it. The only person in this thread who can answer the questions raised about the RetroDuo Portable such as compatibility concerns etc is oldskoolfool, and I have a strong suspension he won't be saying a word on the subject, because saying anything can only harm sales of the unit.
    I guess I'm not ordering then. Not taking the chance if there's the possibility something is off, especially since I'm a rookie with clones. I'll be watching to see what people have to say when they get it in their hands.