Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good place to buy a gamebox advance sp?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Good place to buy a gamebox advance sp?

I saw a review of this on YouTube. It looks great.

I don't really want to order from deal extreme.

Did anyone here order one? If so where did you get it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

link to said youtube video. I want to take a look too.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Semi Noob Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geezuzkane
    PSN
    Geezuzkhrist119
    Steam
    Geezuzkane

Retro Game Tech did a mini review on youtube.
    http://youtu.be/vc6MdEJDHUM
    Twitter - GEEZUZKANE
    Nintendo: NESx3, SNES, N64x2, NGCx2, WIIx2, GB, GBP, GBCx2, GBASPx2, NDSLx2,
    Sega: SMS, GENx3, SATx2, DCx3
    Sony: PS1, PS1 moddedx2, PS1 Jap, PS1 Slim, PS2x2, PS2 Slim, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim
    Others: XBOXx2, XBOX w/ hard mod, XBOX w/xbmc and 80gb HDD, X360, X360 Slim MW3 Edition, TG16, INTV, COLV, 2600 JR-broken, Wonderswanx2

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why no love for Deal Extreme?
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/gamebox

Interesting product. My guess is they used the repro GBA SP shells for these. If the LCD's are well backlit, you're at worst getting a GBA SP-101 for $43. The "console" unit is a decent buy at $53. Cons might be that it's only composite video, and not sure how advanced a MAME game can be played with that hardware?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

So does it play GBA cartridges or not? If so, how does it do it, just emulation?

I wonder if it's available from DealExtreme's US warehouse. Shipping from Hong Kong takes forever...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And I was going to be the jerk that had to point out the spelling mistake in your title. Never mind.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

This review on the website seems to be the most informative...

Pros:
    - Looks like a real GBA SP
    - More than 140 GBA games in the memory, and they aren't repeated. Also, a few CPS1 games. - GBA and CPS1 games work at full speed. Only 2 or 3 show a little slow down. - Play games from a microSD, just drop the .gba files on the SD root folder - USB charging mode - USB connection with PC - You can erase built-in games and load yours. Just include them inside GAMES folder. Savefiles go on SAVES folder. - Adjustable brightness level - In-game special menu. Includes savestates, Tv mode, Game guide, and soft-reset. - TV connection works great, games look just a little deformed, but speed is ok. - Save your games normally (.sav file) or you can use savestates through in-game menu - In game guides!! - Soft Reset Function - AVI and MP3 playing is ok.
    Cons:
    - Battery life is short, moreless 2 hours of gameplay.
    - Buttons are a bit noisy and a little hard to press. Just a little. - Golden Sun 1 and 2 are hardly playable because the slowdown in combats. - Can't connect earphones without an special adapter. - Cannot read Gameboy Color carts - When you insert an original GBA cart, the save file gets erased. Be careful! - MP4 playing worked bad for me, maybe the file was very big.
    Other Thoughts:
    - I think that this is the best GBA clone you can buy around here. I'm really surprised.
    - I think the only real con is the battery life, too short. But you can buy an alternative battery here in DX, or use one of your old original GBA SP or NDS phat. - I didn't try the link cable for multiplayer games, but I bought one, so I will write a post on the forum when I have the results.
    I'd figure the bottom line is if you want something that looks like a GBA SP, this is a nice product. But there are probably many other handheld devices that will emulate the same kinds of stuff.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Why no love for Deal Extreme?
    I've bought from them a few times and I've eventually received my items, but it took MONTHS!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I got one of those fake GBA SP's with the "brighter backlit" screen a couple months ago from DealExtreme. Yes it does play real GBA carts. It also has 100 builtin-in games ranging from NES, SNES, GBA and homebrew. It's actually very nice, especially for the price.

By the way, they also just recently came out with another GBA clone however its modeled after the shape of the very first gameboy advance. However it does have a backlit screen. I ordered one of these about 2 weeks ago. Seems like a cheaper and easier alternative to modding a real first gen GBA with the afterburner backlight kit.

BTW, the stuff I've ordered from Dealextreme took about 6-8 weeks... not months lol.

Last edited by StealthLurker; 12-21-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually get my DX order in less than a month, but I don't order much from them these days, on account of them no longer selling ninja stars.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I found shopping with DealExtreme to be a nightmare. I've only done so once, but I don't intend to ever use them again if I can avoid it. It was around 4 months before I finally got my item. Around 2 months for the first to arrive, which was packed like shit, and it was either broken or defective. Then, after terrible communication and jumping through hoops to prove that it wasn't working, I had to wait another 2 months to get a replacement, praying that it would work fine, which thankfully it did. I consider myself understanding when it comes to problems and patient when it comes to shipping (after all, I usually opt for SAL from Japan), but that was RIDICULOUS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't find anywhere but DX to get one of these - I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get it there.

I appreciate the free shipping, but is that why it sucks so bad? I'm happy to pay a few bucks to speed things up!

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I order stuff from DX all the time and with about 200+ orders I’ve only had two take over a month (one was on backorder and they hadn’t updated the site to show it) and only a hand full of DOAs there returns have gotten a lot better so only a few of them were a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I can't find anywhere but DX to get one of these - I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get it there.

I appreciate the free shipping, but is that why it sucks so bad? I'm happy to pay a few bucks to speed things up!
    Also to the people that it took a long time for shipping did you add the “Drop Shipment and Gift Service?” Most of the time it only takes a few days for the package to get here from China but then it spends most of its time in customs. Adding this greatly reduces the time in customs most of the time.

I think that the normal shipping has incorporated most of what this did (like declaring as gift and not saying what the contents are) but customs know the DX name and hold most of the packages from DX to check them for illegal lasers, cell phone blockers, and what not. So if you drop the DX name you reduce the chance of this happing.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I order stuff from DX all the time and with about 200+ orders I’ve only had two take over a month (one was on backorder and they hadn’t updated the site to show it) and only a hand full of DOAs there returns have gotten a lot better so only a few of them were a pain.

Also to the people that it took a long time for shipping did you add the “Drop Shipment and Gift Service?” Most of the time it only takes a few days for the package to get here from China but then it spends most of its time in customs. Adding this greatly reduces the time in customs most of the time.

I think that the normal shipping has incorporated most of what this did (like declaring as gift and not saying what the contents are) but customs know the DX name and hold most of the packages from DX to check them for illegal lasers, cell phone blockers, and what not. So if you drop the DX name you reduce the chance of this happing.
    This!

I'm a serial DX order-er and I was just gonna post all of this.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    This!

I'm a serial DX order-er and I was just gonna post all of this.
    Good idea. Next time I order something from DX I'll try those.

Unfortunately I already ordered the Gamebox before I read your post

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I didn't. How is anybody supposed to know to do that? The blame still goes to DealExtreme, though, not the customer for not picking that, if their business practices are so questionable that customs knows to look for illegal items from them. How about they, you know, not sell illegal items?

I sure hope the improvements to returns were made within the last several months because my order was only a year ago. If that was the "improved" experience, then I don't even want to imagine what it was like before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I didn't. How is anybody supposed to know to do that? The blame still goes to DealExtreme, though, not the customer for not picking that, if their business practices are so questionable that customs knows to look for illegal items from them. How about they, you know, not sell illegal items?

I sure hope the improvements to returns were made within the last several months because my order was only a year ago. If that was the "improved" experience, then I don't even want to imagine what it was like before.
    If you spend any time looking through DX you'll see that they specialize in grey market goods.... more so than lik-sang ever did, which I think is a huge plus for niche/strange gadget fans. Back in the day you couldn't obtain obscure stuff like this conveniently. You had to go to Hong Kong or have a friend/relative ship it to you. I remember trips to Hong Kong and seeing the weirdest/coolest gadgets with functions I always wanted, but questionable in legality from a US perspective. Haha, some of the stuff I've brought back in the past have made interesting exchanges with the customs officials at the airport.

Last edited by StealthLurker; 12-22-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For what it's worth, these clones are emulation-based so GBA games don't run perfectly; you're not exactly getting a cheap AGS-101, basically they have similar capabilities to your average Chinese MP4 player/emulator console, only with the added bonus of a GBA cart slot.

There is one in the works (from "K-Team") that is an actual hardware clone, though, using a CPU which is 100% compatible with the GBA's when underclocked, and it seems to have perfect GBA compatibility; theyre also working on a version that can also play media and emulated games from an SD card. there's quite a bit of info here: http://obscurehandhelds.wordpress.co...-live-the-gba/
    It can link with real GBAs too - the only feature it lacks from the original is GB/GBC support (apparently the technology supports it but the team felt there wasn't the demand to include it. Which is a shame, really - I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it could play GBC)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's very cool - what's the price?