Thread: "Rare" Puckman cabinet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default "Rare" Puckman cabinet?

Pics can be found in the link below. Do you guys think this is real??

"This Guy Has a Rare Arcade Cabinet. Is It Real?

Sometimes I get stupid email from readers. Sometimes I get nice email. And sometimes, I get email from people with questions. Reader Joel sent me one of those: A question.

This is a Puckman cabinet. Before Pac-Man was called Pac-Man, it was Puckman. "Paku paku" (パクパク) is the sound in Japanese for people opening and closing their mouths, hence why the game was written as パックマン in Japanese, or "Pakkuman".

But, that became "puck", and "puck" sounds like "fuck". As awesome as "Fuckman" sounds, the game's U.S. publisher changed it to Pac-Man. Bastards.

Reader Joel has one of those Puckman cabinets. It's a cocktail cabinet, and reader Joel says it's one of the rarest cabinets you can find in the U.S.

Reader Joel said he got it from a friend who worked at Namco and Atari several decades ago. I'd imagine if you got something like this from industry friends back in the day, you'd conclude that this was real. Yet, Joel wanted to verify it's authenticity. He actually wanted Pac-Man creator Toru Iwatani's email, which isn't mine to give out.

It looks like the Namco Cocktail table. And at the risk of turning this into the Antique Roadshow, it seems to match up with photos online. But this isn't the Antique Roadshow, and I'm not Toru Iwatani. I'm Brian Ashcraft."

http://kotaku.com/5853782/this-guy-h...real/gallery/1
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Looks fake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks legit to me.. I grew up playing those things. I never saw an actual "Pacman" game in real life (aside from tv and books) until I was already in my 20's and out of college.

And there were plenty of them all around in the asia region.. but who knows how many survived. Arcade game conversion was pretty much the de-facto standard for a lot of cocktails.