Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Finds You Passed Up and Regret Now!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

TRY had Startropics new for $.99 back in 1996, I was only 14 at the time and I bought 1 for myself. They probably had over 300 copies stacked around the store.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That reminds me of another bad one...My local wal-mart had stacks of Final Fantasy for the Nes for $10...my friend picked one up , but I didn't...they must have had close to 100 copies.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At a special sale, I came across a box of factory sealed SNES Exertainment Mountain Bike Rally/Speed Racer games. I only bought 2, the rest were tossed in the Auger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I passed on a few Neo Geo carts at a thrift for $7 each. Nothing special. All I remember is a Golf game and a Baseball one.

I picked up a few sealed copies of some Bandai Pippen games at a swap for cheap. I left a lot behind though because they were more edutainment than actual games (well there was a Power Ranger game too but buying that one was just plain wrong to me then.

Another thing that is sort of along the same lines is at a CGE two years ago I was talking to a guy there that claimed to have a lot of Bandai Pippen equipment. Gave him my email address but never heard from him.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23
    ANd my annual admission of shame...

Quadrun - boxed $3

What the hell scooter?!?!

Here's mine:
    Exus Video Jogger (2600) for $25
    Remember that one Adam? It would have been my first 9 if only I had known.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@another fluke...you wouldn't still happen to have one of those Bike rally/speed racer games?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

The only thing that comes close for me was when a local arcade was actively trying to sell their machines and they had the G.I.Joe arcade game for $300. I was in college at the time and didn't have $300 and I had no clue where I would have stored it but I do wish I had bought it...that is my favorite arcade game and last I checked MAME didn't run it very well.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lost Monkey- I remember that sale and that store. Used to love that store. Only things I got in that sale was a SNES Knights of the Round and some crappy Sega CD game. Wish I had know about that $8 sale as I came before that. When I was in that store some kid and his dad were carrying off the TurboExpress demo unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PAL Batman and Robin for the Sega CD. About 2€ or something (no cash and didnt bother to borrow some from a friend) Worth about 150€ as I later found out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I came across a vendor in a flea market that had a few Japanese import games. There was a Sega Mega Drive CD jewel case with no disc inside, some kind of RPG. There was a Playstation game that was some kind of special edition, but I didn't have a modded Playstation to run it on, so I also passed. The third game he had was a Saturn title with a high-res music idol dancing around, not really a game but still interesting. I bought that one. A couple years later, I'm reading about rare import games in Retro Gamer magazine, and I realized how rare the Playstation game I had passed on was... Policenauts. Dammit.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by AlphaGamer; 02-20-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not buying Dragon Warrior IV, ex rental for € 14,-

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A few years ago I was in a pawn shop and saw they had SMT Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga for $10 apiece. I didn't have any money at all at the time. (Both were selling on Ebay for around $60+ each.)

Back when the Dreamcast came out the local import game shop I used to go to sold off all their old inventory half price. They had US Panzer Dragoon Saga for $40, Lunar 1 & 2 for Sega CD for $10 each and a whole host of other games, but I didn't know about the sale til it was over.

Insert Coin (Level 0) MissingNo_1231's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

maybe 10 years ago I was in a Pawn Shop and I found a copy of the Donkey Kong Country Competition Cartridge.

Oh yeah.

But back then, when I knew very little about video games and already owned a copy of the regular Donkey Kong Country, I just left it there.

I figured it was some kind of 2 player game that let you play against your friends. I never figured it was.... that....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

(posted from my lock'd thread)
    - Famicom w/Disk System
    - Boxed FZ-1 3DO
    - Philips CDI-220 with controller and Wand of Gamelon
    - Commodore SX-64
    - Commodore 64 w/Disk drive
    - Atari XE computer
    - 2 Atari 2600 Jrs
    - R.O.B. robot

Lots of sadness there. So much I let pass me by.
    DERP

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gamestop near me had Valkyrie profile in quite nice condition for $60. I immediately went home to pick up $20 more, came back and it was already sold.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atari Star Wars Cockpit... w/ Empire conversion kit @ store I can't recall at the Mall of America... $400. I was 18 and between jobs, so no money. Though I did caress and drool on it a bit. Hey! It counts! Well, at least it's something.

In hindsight though, it was a good thing I didn't have the means to buy it. I can't imagine being able to keep it when I moved to Texas. To have had it and be forced to part with it would be more painful than just missing out. So I guess it was a doomed find anyways.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Biggest regret what I have is when I didn't buy Earthbound for SNES for 16€. I just had started collecting and was in video rental store which were selling their old games. I browsed through the gamess and looked at the box of Earthbound and thought that it looked kind of interesting game.. and then put the box back to shelf. Argh!
    At least I bought Lord of the Rings (CIB), Super Metroid (L), Megaman X2 (with manual) and some others for 8€ each. But I still don't have Earthbound.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of my regrets have to do something with having no money. I've missed lots and lots of great deals just because my pockets were empty at the moment.

There's one that really bugs me, though, and that happened just about six months ago. I was at this flea market and was looking through the stuff, just checking if there's anything game related gems hidden somewhere. Very rarely there is, as the town I'm living in, is very small, and the flea markets or game stores are also small with small selections.
    Well, this time I hit the jackpot! Under one of the tables, there was a worn cardboard box, and on it, there read "Children's clothes". Something made me open it, and was surprised as there were loads mint nes games in the box, neatly arranged to two layers (maybe ~80 games in all). There were all three Lolo games, Mega Man games 2,4 and 5, Mario Bros, both Zeldas and more.
    I think I peed a little, just because I was happy. Like puppies sometimes do.
    And the price? Oh, the whole box for just 30 euros (that's about $50).
    I jumped up and raced to the nearest ATM, withddrew 40 euros and ran back just to see someone carrying that box out of the door with a big smile on his face. That's cool, I thought, trying to resist the urge to strangle that bastard. How on earth this could happen? It read "Children's clothes" and there would be no way someone could just open it and peek inside. Then I remembered that I'd left the friggin' box open when I left to the ATM. I'm so stupid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great thread. Now I don't feel so bad posting my story.

This was circa 1999, before I was collecting retro games or even knew that some old videogames could be rare. I walked into a kay-b toy store near my old house that was closing. Everything looked to be in shambles (toys on the ground, shelves dismantled, etc.) On a table near the cash registers I saw a few videogames. They had mega man six and battletoads clearanced to $7.00. Thats $7.00 for new, sealed copies. They also had a few strategy guides and snes sports games. What do I buy instead? Sim city for the p.c.

Oh well