Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Virtual Boy Games on 3DS

Aha! Got you to look.

Doesn't it seem like it SHOULD happen? Has anyone heard any rumor of Nintendo putting Virtual Boy games on the 3DS? I see they're planning a "Virtual Boy Red" color, it would be very awesome to see the games re-released.

This being asked from a guy whose website is black and red.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

damnit you got me.

I was excited.

You're right - it makes perfect sense. Either on the eshop or as a collection on a physical cart. I'm happy to take either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, you got me too... I could definitely see this happening at some point, though it remains to be said whether or not they'll still be in the simple 3D vector graphics (i.e. eShop/emulation) or if they'll turn them into full-color games.

c0ldb33r: Send me some of that internet speed, lol .
    World's greatest Internet game store: http://blastedmachines.com

Also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/BlastedMachinesTechShop

Wanted: Any and all Dragon Quest, Lufia/Estpolis, Tales of series, and NIS games, strategy guides, and miscellaneous items. Will pay $$$ or trade well for items I don't already have.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Belmont008's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    MrReeves008

Got me three, I've never played virtual boy but I remember growing during its short time. Would be interesting to play some of those games. Digital distribution is becoming the trend but I'd prefer some physical copies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This comes to mind, remember this joke?

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Are they actually referring to the red 3DS as a Virtual Boy throwback or is it just coincidental? I've been under the impression for a long time that Nintendo would sooner erase the Virtual Boy from the annals of history.

While faithful ports, and maybe full color enhanced versions, would be awesome I just don't know if Nintendo has the cajones to celebrate what is popularly seen as its greatest embarassment.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 08-19-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have thought about VB games on the 3DS since it was first shown at E3! It would make perfect sense and it's really their only chance to try and make a few bucks from some of these classics again.

And yes they do look great on the 3DS! You can see how they look on the 3DS by grabbing the files from this site.
    **Rom link removed**

They also have some great examples of the Sega Master System 3D games too

I just hope Nintendo can pull this off before someone does it through homebrew.
    Last edited by PapaStu; 08-20-2011 at 12:29 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

I've said this since the system was announced. At the very least, put out some games like Wario Land and you know what? Maybe people would stop bashing the VB hardware so readily. Despite not having much, a lot of the library was great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I've been wanting to see that since the VC was announced for the 3ds. I hope Nintendo goes for it, though admittedly I don't know how easy the emulation would go. I'd love to be able to play VB games without having to shell out of the VB itself (and find space for it) and still get the 3D experience. I remember liking Wario Land, Mario Clash, Mario's Tennis, and Red Alarm from playing them back in the day, and quite a few other games looked pretty interesting as well.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think the big road block will be cost. There are just a few games worthwhile enough to rerelease. So I'm not sure I see Nintendo going through the trouble of porting them (The more likely of the two so they can offer optional colorization) or developing an emulator for such a small group of releases.

And unlike the niche Game & Watch rerelease line, there's so much negativity towards the system, especially from the masses that never played one but were told it failed, that I think Nintendo might prefer to continue ignoring it like they've done the past 15 years. For the Game & Watch, people either never heard of it, have no recollection of it anymore, or have fond memories of it. I'd expect to see effort channeled into a rerelease program for their classic arcade games before seeing this, to be honest. Seems like there would be more money to be had there, a larger potential lineup, and greater demand from gamers.

And would they want to release games that, in some cases, all but required the 3D effect to be playable on a handheld that otherwise fully supports optional 2D viewing for those customers that can't view the 3D effect or prefer running it in 2D? I've been told that the excellent Wario Land release is one such game that probably wouldn't translate too well in 2D due to the excellent use of the 3D effect in the title (I've never played a Virtual Boy, I have a lazy eye so I can't).

Would be nice to see it happen. I think the 3DS is the perfect avenue for this and there's some nice games, it seems, that deserve to not be forgotten. But I bet they don't.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-24-2016 at 10:56 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I don't know, Leo. I think some of that "remember how terrible" vibe the VB has might actually drive sales today, at least for a portion of the market. Then there is another portion of the market that might be in the "wish I could have tried it out" category. We "these games are good and deserve recognition" gamers are a very slim market, but we do exist. But yeah, now that I type all this it occurs to me that 95% of the people that buy 3DS games still probably have never even heard of the VB.

And yet the G&W Ball reproduction exists in the Club Nintendo marketplace.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I would imagine that the fascination with the G&W series these days stems largely from its inclusion in Smash Bros.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Can Virtual Boy games even be ported over to the 3DS properly? I haven't read up on how the 3DS displays 3D but wouldn't it be different to how the Virtual Boy did it?

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I've been playing some VB games in an emulator, in 2D. They still look really cool, even without the 3D effect. The graphics are similar to the kind you see on pinball LCDs, where it's just different brightnesses of one color, and they look pretty awesome. And Wario is a really good game. I'm all for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Can Virtual Boy games even be ported over to the 3DS properly? I haven't read up on how the 3DS displays 3D but wouldn't it be different to how the Virtual Boy did it?
    They both achieve their 3D effect through providing different screens for each eye.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the thought of this, although I would hope you could change the color from red to anything-but-just-red. And I think that is where the cost would be...
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I agree it would make sense.. it also would have made sense to make Game & Watch Gallery 5 ever since the first DS Phat came out, but they have yet to do it (no, the lazy japanese Nintendo Club ones don't count).

But yes.. virtual boy on the 3DS. Why the heck not.. shove it as a 3D classics download. If they could spend the time making NES Xevious 3D, then they can port the VB games too. But knowing Nintendo's penchant for oddly avoiding the coolest things they could do with their IP that fans would love, I kind of doubt it will ever happen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I would imagine that the fascination with the G&W series these days stems largely from its inclusion in Smash Bros.
    Game & Watch Gallery came well before that. It was pretty popular, as I recall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo isn't one for recalling failures; featuring games from a failure handheld on a close-to-failure handheld system? Probably not happening.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Game & Watch Gallery came well before that. It was pretty popular, as I recall.
    The first G&W Gallery was on the original Game Boy, then 2 and 3 were on Game Boy Colo and 4 was on GBA.

All are way awesome updates of the old LCD Game & Watch games which frankly, get boring after a while.