Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Supaboy - New SNES handheld from Hyperkin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gee, I really don't know what sort of service I can provide if you're in France. Logistically, it would be a royal pain. Not impossible though, give me some time to consider the options.

For now - please PM me the link to the ebay auction/seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiyaki View Post
    Do you know how many of these units went around? I bought this copy on ebay from a seller that was carrying at least 30 of them.

I doubt I can return it, I'm currently located in France.

I just noticed that I didn't get a pouch either, in the reviews I've seen others receive a pouch to put the system in. I also notice upon closer examination the start and select buttons have some light wear, as well as the A button.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Link sent.

I don't mind paying for the shipping, but I'd like to be sure this is a prototype unit to not put you to trouble and not waste the shipping fees. Although from the looks of it it does appear like it probably is.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was the only problem on yours the sound?

Does anyone else have that light below the screen through the plastic above the U of the Supaboy writing?

I don't even know whether my version is a correct one and whether I should write reviews on this model or not.
    Mine also has that light above the U, though it doesn't really seem like an issue. As far as the actual problems with my unit, I'll just copy/paste them here from the RMA. I'm thinking maybe I got a prototype, especially considering Kaboomer's video stating he didn't think the games ever looked that good on a TV - my old tube TV certainly looks better than the built in screen on the Supaboy I got.

1. Buzzing sound coming from speakers/headphone;

2. Possible screen issues (visual distortion on Yoshi's Island, see title screen flicker and horizonal "dark lines" on World 1-4 when character is moving). The audio issue is a serious problem; I can live with the visual issues on Yoshi if the system is indeed supposed to look this way. In fact, from descriptions I have read, and people I have spoken to, it seems like my screen isn't up to the quality of others. I suspect this may be a prototype unit.

3. Further evidence that this may indeed be a prototype is the wear on the B/A/X/Y decal - it came this way in the packaging.

Thanks again, Tofu and the rest of you Hyperkin folks for getting my RMA set up today. I'm ooking forward to getting a fixed version so I can post a thorough review!
    Last edited by nusilver; 12-28-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    Mine also has that light above the U, though it doesn't really seem like an issue. As far as the actual problems with my unit, I'll just copy/paste them here from the RMA. I'm thinking maybe I got a prototype, especially considering Kaboomer's video stating he didn't think the games ever looked that good on a TV - my old tube TV certainly looks better than the built in screen on the Supaboy I got.

1. Buzzing sound coming from speakers/headphone;

2. Possible screen issues (visual distortion on Yoshi's Island, see title screen flicker and horizonal "dark lines" on World 1-4 when character is moving). The audio issue is a serious problem; I can live with the visual issues on Yoshi if the system is indeed supposed to look this way. In fact, from descriptions I have read, and people I have spoken to, it seems like my screen isn't up to the quality of others. I suspect this may be a prototype unit.

3. Further evidence that this may indeed be a prototype is the wear on the B/A/X/Y decal - it came this way in the packaging.

Thanks again, Tofu and the rest of you Hyperkin folks for getting my RMA set up today. I'm ooking forward to getting a fixed version so I can post a thorough review!
    I agree, I'm rather finicky so perhaps this could be the final product, and if it is I would have to say the display is not good, it's too bad because contrast and colors are quite nice, the brightness is also ideal. To be fair I should mention that unlike other critics, so far I've never had a problem of the system not starting a game (my cartridges were all stored in their original boxes). Games always play on first try.

To follow up on your testing I gave Yoshi's Island a try and experienced the flickering on the title screen you mentioned. I've also seen some heavy flickering during the opening sequence of Secret of Mana. When starting up Mario Kart I find the title screen to look quite bad, it's a perfect example of the screen on my unit, if someone with a good unit could try Mario Kart and let us know this might be helpful. On the title screen the hills in the background flicker while the text displayed is legible but looks horrific.

Similarly to you, I have the irritating buzzing in the background which increases when the volume is raised. I also have some worn out buttons, the A button looks like it was taken off a used controller. The start and select have something similar to finger nail marks, as if someone pressed their nails into them. The rest is overall in like new condition (the other buttons and the casing, minus one impact mark on the side).

The screen came with two screen protectors (they seemed as if they were tacked on, possibly not applied at the factory). Upon removing them I found superficial scratches all over the display, but what's even worse is there are particles of dust underneath, with one small batch of dust towards the very bottom of the screen which is actually noticeable during play.

I'm guessing we both have prototypes, if not then this is highly disappointing.

Oh I forgot one last glitch I experienced, when pressing reset I've had the game reset with a different contrast setting, the dark levels were grayish and the entire screen looked washed out. I had to turn off the system to restore it to normal.
    Last edited by Taiyaki; 12-28-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nusilver take a look at this video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Fpt...K2GFq2N2se7zhS

It was posted in a previous page but I noticed when you watch it in 720p and full screen that the games look much sharper, when he plays Mario All Stars there is no flickering with the pyramids move in the back and the letters/numbers are displayed sharply. Your thoughts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

although I bought one early in the month it still hasn't arrived, so I'm going to toss a question to those who own one - what's the capacity of the batter in mAh? I wonder if it's possible to buy a larger capacity battery to get more life out of the system. Is there a model number or anything?

Does anyone own a SNES Powerpak? I'm wondering if the use of a flashcart will diminish the battery faster than a regular cartridge would.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nusilver take a look at this video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Fpt...K2GFq2N2se7zhS

It was posted in a previous page but I noticed when you watch it in 720p and full screen that the games look much sharper, when he plays Mario All Stars there is no flickering with the pyramids move in the back and the letters/numbers are displayed sharply. Your thoughts.
    Actually, I watched it awhile back but will check it out again when I get to the office. The one thing I can say about the video right now (can't watch at the moment - Amtrak streaming video restrictions and my phone signal is too weak right now to tether to) is that I took many sample videos with my iPhone 4 and the image appears sharper/better on video than in person...at least for the unit I have.

In any case, the Supaboy is packed and I'm sending it out as soon as I arrive in the Bay area. Looking forward to getting it back, fixed. For as much noise as some of us have made about the problems with these units, I have to say the Supaboy has the potentional to be my absolute favorite handheld - ever. I mean, I finished Earthbound for the first time last night, for crying out loud! I just hope Hyperkin can hammer out all the problems soon so people can get ahold of these again.

(also, most of the last 8-10 hours of Earthbound were played on the Supaboy during my work commutes, but I finished it at home on my SNES because I'd already packed up the Supaboy. I can't say for certain that the game won't erase your save when you get to Giygas on a Supaboy, but I wouldn't expect it. I did several comparisons between the Supaboy and the SNES and the game performed exactly the same on both units, with the same frequency of enemies, etc. I'll confirm when I get the unit back by loading my save on the 'Boy).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree, I'm rather finicky so perhaps this could be the final product, and if it is I would have to say the display is not good, it's too bad because contrast and colors are quite nice, the brightness is also ideal. To be fair I should mention that unlike other critics, so far I've never had a problem of the system not starting a game (my cartridges were all stored in their original boxes). Games always play on first try.
    I wouldn't necessarily say the display is bad, it's just not up to par with what someone used to a DS/PSP/3DS/Vita is expecting. It's similar in quality to a Nomad, from what I can remember. I'm really hoping the screen on my return unit is better, if only because in Kaboomer's video, he stated that he didn't remember the games ever looking that good on a TV, but if this is it, I can live with it for the convenience of playing SNES carts wherever I want.

To follow up on your testing I gave Yoshi's Island a try and experienced the flickering on the title screen you mentioned. I've also seen some heavy flickering during the opening sequence of Secret of Mana. When starting up Mario Kart I find the title screen to look quite bad, it's a perfect example of the screen on my unit, if someone with a good unit could try Mario Kart and let us know this might be helpful. On the title screen the hills in the background flicker while the text displayed is legible but looks horrific.
    Thanks for checking. I mentioned this to Lawrence at Hyperkin last night, and he said they would thoroughly test it but wasn't sure if this was something that was "fixable." It's not the biggest issue in the world, just disappointing since Yoshi's Island is such a fantastic game which, unfortunately, looks better on a 3DS than on the Supaboy I have. I'll check Mario Kart again when I get my unit back.

Similarly to you, I have the irritating buzzing in the background which increases when the volume is raised. I also have some worn out buttons, the A button looks like it was taken off a used controller. The start and select have something similar to finger nail marks, as if someone pressed their nails into them. The rest is overall in like new condition (the other buttons and the casing, minus one impact mark on the side).
    I noticed something like that on my start/select buttons too, and just attributed it to the injection molding process that I assume was used to create the buttons. I don't think these were pulled from used controllers as they seem slightly bigger - at least the face buttons seem deeper - but if they were, it'd be a good thing as I'd like to swap the purple buttons for the red, green, yellow, blue on the SFami controllers.

The screen came with two screen protectors (they seemed as if they were tacked on, possibly not applied at the factory). Upon removing them I found superficial scratches all over the display, but what's even worse is there are particles of dust underneath, with one small batch of dust towards the very bottom of the screen which is actually noticeable during play.
    All the same experiences that I had. Two screen protectors that weren't applied very well, and dust underneath. I just attributed this to the small size of Hyperkin's operation.

I'm guessing we both have prototypes, if not then this is highly disappointing.

Oh I forgot one last glitch I experienced, when pressing reset I've had the game reset with a different contrast setting, the dark levels were grayish and the entire screen looked washed out. I had to turn off the system to restore it to normal.
    I noticed the grey when I reset the unit several times in quick succession while trying to trick the Supaboy into loading my copy of Mario RPG. Simple reset fixed it. Here's another glitch I noticed, since we're talking about glitches: On The Lord of the Rings, the select button does not work when playing the unit with an SNES controller. So basically, in order to manage your inventory, you'd have to unplug from your TV, remove your controller, and hit select on the Supaboy. The select button works fine on other games I've tested.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for your detailed reply. I appreciate it.

I agree I could live with some of the issues I've had, it's the culmination of all of them which harms the experience. If at least the sound were buzzless and the screen dust and scratch free it would surely improve things.

Ultimately though all this does't clarify to us whether or not we had prototypes. I'd like to know whether the symptoms we described is what the average customer needs to expect or whether we just had bad luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

the mail arrived today, and I got my replacement Supaboy.......which has the exact same audio issues as the first one I had returned to Hyperkin because of the high pitched audio and have been waiting around for the replacement for nearly a month.

What the hell Hyperkin? an RMA was already filled out for a system with bad audio and you send me ANOTHER one with the SAME PROBLEM?! UGH. The first one was bought from amazon, so its the Amazon seller's fault, but this replacement came directly from Hyperkin and it's STILL bad! This is totally unacceptable! Don't you guys check these things!?

I want this system returned and replaced with a FUNCTIONAL system WITHOUT the audio issues. This is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Satoshi_Matrix; 12-29-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    the mail arrived today, and I got my replacement Supaboy.......which has the exact same audio issues as the first one I had returned to Hyperkin because of the high pitched audio and have been waiting around for the replacement for nearly a month.

What the hell Hyperkin? an RMA was already filled out for a system with bad audio and you send me ANOTHER one with the SAME PROBLEM?! UGH. The first one was bought from amazon, so its the Amazon seller's fault, but this replacement came directly from Hyperkin and it's STILL bad! This is totally unacceptable! Don't you guys check these things!?

I want this system returned and replaced with a FUNCTIONAL system WITHOUT the audio issues. This is ridiculous.
    Crap. I'm sorry to hear that. Have you PM'd Tofu?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's incredible. Is the sound issue on the unit you just received the buzzing problem?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

yeah. new system, same problem. It's pretty discouraging to trust Hyperkin in the future. I mean shit happens sure, but this kinda thing is unacceptable. I shouldn't have to go three units just to get one that works as advertised.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That was extremely careless on their part. With all this confusion now I have to wonder, is there any evidence that this is not the final product? Nusilver and I are still wondering whether we have prototypes or the actual retail version. Perhaps Tofu will enlighten us when he comes by next time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Yeah. I don't blame Tofu or Hyperkin themselves, just whoever botched my order by sending me a replacement unit with exactly the same problem as the unit that was returned.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Yeah. I don't blame Tofu or Hyperkin themselves, just whoever botched my order by sending me a replacement unit with exactly the same problem as the unit that was returned.
    Could it be that all retails have the same audio issue?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TKO View Post
    Could it be that all retails have the same audio issue?
    This is exactly what I was trying to get at. How do we know that the second unit SatoshiMatrix received, and the one Nusilver and I have are not the final product already?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This is not directed at anyone in particular in this thread. It is just how I feel towards companies who make retro products that no other campanies have the balls to make:

I tend to give companies who are making retro products more slack since they are doing something that not too many companies have the balls to do. If we all jump on their shit for every single little problem, they may get tired of it and not release future retro products. I give them every chance in the world to fix mistakes. Personally Tofu is one of the best and nicest guys I have dealt with. I am sure he is busy, the holidays and everything tend to screw everyone over.

Like I said, this is not directed at anyone. I just really appreciate any company who tries to make a retro console. We are a very picky group of consumers who know the ins & outs more than most. We tend to be very hard on new-retro products. I just hope that doesnt scare companies off.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    This is not directed at anyone in particular in this thread. It is just how I feel towards companies who make retro products that no other campanies have the balls to make:

I tend to give companies who are making retro products more slack since they are doing something that not too many companies have the balls to do. If we all jump on their shit for every single little problem, they may get tired of it and not release future retro products. I give them every chance in the world to fix mistakes. Personally Tofu is one of the best and nicest guys I have dealt with. I am sure he is busy, the holidays and everything tend to screw everyone over.

Like I said, this is not directed at anyone. I just really appreciate any company who tries to make a retro console. We are a very picky group of consumers who know the ins & outs more than most. We tend to be very hard on new-retro products. I just hope that doesnt scare companies off.
    I have to agree with you there.

The problem though is that the same target audience here who love the retro and love the idea of portability are by nature picky and difficult. In my opinion they might be making a mistake to go for affordability, when they could in fact sell these for $129 or even $159 and many of us would still be buying it so long as it's up to expectations.

There's a lot to be proud of with the Supaboy, the issues need to be solved but the concept is great.
    Last edited by Taiyaki; 12-30-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For those of you who still have open issues with your Supaboy, contact the customer service manager directly at Lawrence@Hyperkin.com or (626) 571-5100

He is in charge of customer service. He is incompetent. He outranks me. There is nothing I can do about him.

Taiyaki in particular who lives in France, please take a video of your current Supaboy and send me a link. There are several differences from the main product and the prototype. I cannot reveal what the main differences are, that's simply verboten.

I'm trying to figure out if it is indeed possible that prototype systems entered the main distribution channel. I don't see how it could have possibly happened unless the factory had extra stock and sent it along with the main shipment. This remains unlikely since both the factory and ourselves dumped all extra prototype parts to another party.