Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peter_gunz View Post
    Trust me, when it comes to working on things with my hands, it's better not to. Seriously, I had to crimp some stuff at a jewelry shop until my boss saw my work and immediately put me back on working on the online store. Yep, that bad! So I wouldn't be able to mod a damn thing no matter how simple it would be, especially if it involves cutting of ANY sort.

I did not read that particular article, but I've heard some bad stories from that forum before. They all seem to be from people that prefer Japanese style sticks. I have a Japanese style stick (Neo Geo), it is not as good as the American stick as far as I'm concerned. Too loose and the buttons are too small. Great for a Japanese guy, but for someone that played in U.S. arcades my whole life, it's not gonna cut it for me. They're just too small and I end up gripping with 2 fingers instead of 3, which is unnatural for me and awkward.

I'm wondering if the lag they complain about is only on the consoles? If it is, I could care less as I plan to ONLY play it using MAME on my Macbook. That said, switching the parts out is not an option unless I can find someone to do it for me. Do you know if it lags on computers?
    I don't know about the X-Arcade but I can check the SFA for you tomorrow. (I'll be working until then)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    I don't know about the X-Arcade but I can check the SFA for you tomorrow. (I'll be working until then)
    Cool, thanks. I should say that this is just a temporary thing. Once I get out of college, I would have money to get a proper set up from one of the custom sites. I just need something right now that would require minimum maintenance and minimal time dedication in general as well as something that feels right playing Neo Geo and Street Fighter games.
    Preferably something that is geared towards the Neo Geo/SNK gamer as I prefer these over Street Fighter in general.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, I'm going to withdraw my suggestion for the SFA stick. Now that I drag it out of the closet and play it again, it's quite possibly the most uncomfortable joystick I've ever used (Next to the PS2 shadowblade) and even if you mod it, the height of the casing makes it awkward to play on. (I play all my games sitting in a chair with the stick on a table) Also, one of the boards is defective.

The next thing I was going to recommend is the Pelican Real Arcade Universal, it also has the Chinese parts, but it's a pretty decent joystick as far as retail console sticks go. I still have one, I bought it an a Gamestop the day I bought my Xbox. But unfortunately it didn't work with the PS2 adapter.

I think that leaves you with the Real Arcade. I'd keep in mind that the Shoryuken review was written by fighting game elitists, and less than the best generally doesn't cut it over there. The X-arcade seems to be just fine for everyone else, here's the Digital Press review by Don Evanoff. You don't have to worry about adapters or modding or anything, and if you want a Neo Geo layout without that second button down there, you can always pull it out and stick in one of these bad boys.

So, I think the X-Arcade would be the best choice for you after all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    Okay, I'm going to withdraw my suggestion for the SFA stick. Now that I drag it out of the closet and play it again, it's quite possibly the most uncomfortable joystick I've ever used (Next to the PS2 shadowblade) and even if you mod it, the height of the casing makes it awkward to play on. (I play all my games sitting in a chair with the stick on a table) Also, one of the boards is defective.

The next thing I was going to recommend is the Pelican Real Arcade Universal, it also has the Chinese parts, but it's a pretty decent joystick as far as retail console sticks go. I still have one, I bought it an a Gamestop the day I bought my Xbox. But unfortunately it didn't work with the PS2 adapter.

I think that leaves you with the Real Arcade. I'd keep in mind that the Shoryuken review was written by fighting game elitists, and less than the best generally doesn't cut it over there. The X-arcade seems to be just fine for everyone else, here's the Digital Press review by Don Evanoff. You don't have to worry about adapters or modding or anything, and if you want a Neo Geo layout without that second button down there, you can always pull it out and stick in one of these bad boys.

So, I think the X-Arcade would be the best choice for you after all.
    Thanks, that helped narrow things down. I'd most likely be playing on my laptop so something light yet sturdy would be best.

From what I can tell the folks at shoryuken are a little on the ridiculous side. I used to be a competitive player and laugh at anyone that says Japanese joysticks are superior to U.S. style. The bottom line is you play what you are good/comfortable with. Plus, I hold the stick with 3 fingers, not 2 so it's awkward using 2 (which I do on my Neo Geo AES). They probably prefer sit down cabinets too, not me. I'd take a stand up cabinet any day over a sit down. Something about sitting down playing an arcade game doesn't feel right to me.

Thanks for all of your advice. I think I will get a one player stick as I rarely play games with people nowadays.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found this thread: http://shoryuken.com/f177/better-hor...-right-177193/

Apparently, if one prefers Happ parts they recommend modding an X-Arcade stick as it is easy to do. Is this why you also recommend it?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I have a full X-Arcade cabinet with the trackball tankstick, and I can't say enough good things about the X-Arcade brand.

They function great with MAME are ultra durable and apparently have a lifetime warranty.

I've opened my tank-stick once to tighten a few of the large plastic nuts that hold the buttons on. They don't have any quick acccess panel, and they don't really seem to be wired with changing out parts, but the wires are pull-off quick release tabs, so if you want or need to swap out parts it's do-able.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I have a full X-Arcade cabinet with the trackball tankstick, and I can't say enough good things about the X-Arcade brand.

They function great with MAME are ultra durable and apparently have a lifetime warranty.

I've opened my tank-stick once to tighten a few of the large plastic nuts that hold the buttons on. They don't have any quick acccess panel, and they don't really seem to be wired with changing out parts, but the wires are pull-off quick release tabs, so if you want or need to swap out parts it's do-able.
    Excellent Frankie_Says_Relax this is exactly what I was hoping for. I'm in college and will be using it on my Macbook with MAME. I doubt I'll be using 2 player mode much, should I just get the solo stick for now (would be nice for travel)? I graduate next year (hopefully) and once working plan on upgrading.