Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warning: Contains Graphic Imagery

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jehusephat View Post
    This classic gaming collection was destroyed by flooding in Australia. These pictures were difficult for me to look at; I may have even shed a tear or two. He's lucky that things weren't worse for him, but he's obviously broken up about it or he wouldn't have bothered to document the aftermath.

http://kotaku.com/5735493/vintage-ga...yline=true&s=i
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XAyfV98Gis
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by fergojisan View Post
    This. Who gives a shit about some fucking video games if you're still alive? Jesus Christ.
    People died in Nashville, but that didn't stop people mourning over the lost musical artifacts, did it?

Just because you talk about the damage to not-living things does not mean you're completely ignore the human loss. C'mon, your bar for humanity isn't set that low...
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sabz5150 View Post
    People died in Nashville, but that didn't stop people mourning over the lost musical artifacts, did it?

Just because you talk about the damage to not-living things does not mean you're completely ignore the human loss. C'mon, your bar for humanity isn't set that low...
    Point taken, but I think those were historical musical artifacts, weren't they?

But you're right, maybe I spoke a little hastily.
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

No, you didn't. It sucks to see all those games ruined, but they're replaceable. Lives are not. And neither are historical artifacts.

If this were a trove of undumped protos and unique items, then it would be a travesty. Not saying that this doesn't suck, but I think you follow.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

They are still objects and still hold value to some. Just like those games. There's nothing wrong with mourning the material losses as well as the human ones. Like I said, nobody's discounting human life here.

As for historical artifacts... we've lost far worse more times than history can record.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is a collector's worst nightmare. When thinking of it, maybe it's a wise idea to sell some stuff to other collectors and thus spread the risc...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Some of you should really get over yourselves if you feel that it's somehow off limits or tasteless to mourn the loss of property. The fact that people have lost their lives doesn't change the fact that this person lost their collection. This is a website about video games, for video game enthusiasts, and this is a story about a tragic loss of an avid gamers collection which he no doubt prized. It's even in the 'Classic Gaming' section of the site. The fact that human life was lost isn't the topic of discussion is neither insensitive or callus, given the context of the discussion.

I think that some of your are being a bit pretentious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People die all the time, and until I'm one of them, I'm going to feel bad whenever someone loses a treasured videogame collection.

Insert Coin (Level 0) tentencanidae's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    jeremycomitas

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    PROTIP: Keep your collections out of the basement if you have the ability to do so.
    ...Off of the basement floor at the very least.

I live in an apartment, so I keep my retro games emulated on my old XBOX there, but all of my collection from Famicom up until current gen stuff is in my parents basement a couple towns away. We have a sump, so flooding would never really be THAT bad.. but natural disasters DO happen. Luckily, the 2 times water came in, in all the years I've been collecting, my gaming stuff has never been damaged.

Also, I keep it fairly dry, so none of my inserts or artwork wrinkles or anything. It's never been a problem for me. The garage however is an instant NO.

I feel horrible for this guy.
    TenTenCanidae
    Collects NES games & RPG's for all systems.
    www.myspace.com/peeweesbike
    www.myspace.com/bayonetdoesntcare

Insert Coin (Level 0) tentencanidae's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    jeremycomitas

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Some of you should really get over yourselves if you feel that it's somehow off limits or tasteless to mourn the loss of property. The fact that people have lost their lives doesn't change the fact that this person lost their collection. This is a website about video games, for video game enthusiasts, and this is a story about a tragic loss of an avid gamers collection which he no doubt prized. It's even in the 'Classic Gaming' section of the site. The fact that human life was lost isn't the topic of discussion is neither insensitive or callus, given the context of the discussion.

I think that some of your are being a bit pretentious.
    I'm gonna have to agree. If you're on this site for the reasons it was designed for, you should clearly be able to identify with this guy. Even if you could care less about games... What if you were a record collector, and your vinyl all got warped from your central AC failing? Sure... no life lost, or human injury.. but at the end of the day, somebody's hard work and proof of their passion has been washed away. It IS very sad. If my stuff got destroyed, I'd be really upset. It's just stuff... but it's mine. Some of it represents memories. I have more video games than photos. This "stuff" matters to some people.
    TenTenCanidae
    Collects NES games & RPG's for all systems.
    www.myspace.com/peeweesbike
    www.myspace.com/bayonetdoesntcare