Thread: How many SNES games is there in total?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I live in the UK and I don't even try to sort out which other EU countries got which game. It would be a nightmare, as well as nearly impossible, to sort out.

I stick to games released purely in the UK. It's just much easier that way.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some other Euro Exclusives off the top of my head: Turbo Toons, The Humans, Whirlo (also super fami), TinTin in Tibet, The Smurfs, The Smurfs travel the world, Micro Machines 2, Hungry Dinosaurs, Asterix, Asterix and Obelix, 90 minute european prime goal, Cannon Fodder, and a ton more....theres quite a few Euro Exclusives and some are specific to certain countries...
    Check out Lucky Luke. For me, best game made by Infogrames for SNES.

And as I'm actually an European gamer, I can say that PAL exclusives aren't so interesting though. IMHO, there's no way to compare Asterix & Obelix with Kirby's Dream Land 3 or Magical Pop 'n.

PAL only release of English Terranigma just makes me angry because of ridiculous price of British and Australian versions of cartridges. Although I'm still learning German at school, it's freakin' hard to play Terranigma without using a dictionary. It kills for me the gameplay. English is so much easier to understand.
    Last edited by Dred; 12-10-2010 at 02:44 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Twin Paradox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Twin Paradox

Default Allow me to summarize . . .

Okay, so I am closing in on my last few US SNES games. I currently just bought my 716th game. I just wanted to get my numbers straight before I went any further. Hopefully you guys can help me. I apologize for the length, but I tried to organize it in a way that was easy to follow.

The DP rarity guide lists exactly 722 US snes games. There are 5 pages of 138 games and 1 page of 32 games. Therefore:

5*(138) + 32 = 722

However, there are two games that are on the list that I think should not be:
    1) Super Bomberman Party Pack
    2) Extertainment Mountain Bike Rally / Speed Racer.

As far as I can tell from my research, the only difference between the Super Bomberman Party Pack and Super Bomberman is the inclusion of the Multi-tap and a larger box. Since I am just collecting loose carts, I feel justified in leaving that game out.

As far as EMBR/SR is concerned, it never saw an actual retail release. I have even read reports that the company that develeped the game had trouble confirming that it even existed, let alone that it was sold. Needless to say I am not counting this cart either.

So, this brings our total down to exactly 720. I DO count both the Donkey Kong and Starfox Competition Carts as part of the list, because they were official sold through Nintendo Power, as well as, some Blockbuster locations that hosted the competition.

The problem with this number, though, is that it is missing the following 3 games:

1) Super Copa
    2) International Super Star Soccer
    3) International Super Star Soccer Deluxe

If these games did see an actual US release (based on the printing on the back of the box art, it seems they did) that would bring the total to 723.

I know this topic has been debated and I understand that it can be a bit contentious. I just kind of wanted to see if my estimate makes sense and if anyone agrees with it.

Finally, just in case anyone cares, the reason that I didn't mention Super Noah's Ark 3D is because I already own it. If you don't consider it to be part of the US SNES library, then that would bring the total down to 722.
    Last edited by Twin Paradox; 02-19-2011 at 03:24 PM.
    It's official, my snes cart only collection is complete! The collection includes both competition carts, ISS, ISSD, EMBR/SR and Super Noah's Ark 3D.

Please check out my video game cover music.